Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Thoughts on Modding away mineral discovery spam  (Read 1168 times)

Impaler[WrG]

• Bay Watcher
  • Khazad Project Leader
    • View Profile
Thoughts on Modding away mineral discovery spam
« on: June 02, 2009, 05:01:26 pm »

It occurred to me that some of the programming techniques used in programs like Reveal might be able to 'wipe' a game of DF of the flags that cause the mineral spamming that everyone hates.  I propose that an investigation be made into the feasibility of developing a 'silencing' option to be added to Reveal or as a stand-alone program.

I believe it should be possible too do this without revealing the rock as I have found that on occasion when I tunnel into a U shaped vein and cross it twice.  I only get a discovery message the first time I cross the vein, the subsequent crossing triggers no message indicating that messages are fired not by simply exposing rocks different then the surrounding area but by revealing a tile of the the vein for the first time after which that individual vein will be silent.  Thus in principle it should be possible to silence veins and Clusters that are still hidden.

By a combination of memory dumping before and after a reveal message is displayed is should be possible to determine ware the reveal message flag is set and then intentionally set that flag throughout the whole map (the player will probably need to designate at the bottom level as with Reveal in order for the map to instantiate).
Khazad the Isometric Fortress Engine
Extract forts from DF, load and save them to file and view them in full 3D

Khazad Home Thread
Khazad v0.0.5 Download

Blargityblarg

• Bay Watcher
  • rolypolyrolypolyrolypoly
    • View Profile
Re: Thoughts on Modding away mineral discovery spam
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2009, 05:09:18 pm »

This also happens with small clusters: if you get a cluster of, say, brown jaspers, then hit another one, you'll only be notified of the first, even though they're completely independent of one another.
Blossom of orange
Shit, nothing rhymes with orange
Wait, haikus don't rhyme

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2009, 05:23:49 pm »

Jifodus Made a utility that disable the pause and undesignation of wet and warm stones, so that is a bit of a help here. You would want to pm him about it and find out about the feasability of it.

Just Dig it Out
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Impaler[WrG]

• Bay Watcher
  • Khazad Project Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2009, 06:01:04 pm »

A quick look at his code seems to indicate its based on patching the active program to skip the function that performs the damp/hot stone check as you dig.  This is a totally different concept then the one I proposed but it would probably work.  Unfortunately such active exe hacking is beyond me.
Khazad the Isometric Fortress Engine
Extract forts from DF, load and save them to file and view them in full 3D

Khazad Home Thread
Khazad v0.0.5 Download

Jay

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼Not Dead Yet☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2009, 06:48:37 pm »

The problem, of course, is that the discovery messages are part of the discovery scripts.
If you take them out, without "such active exe hacking", you'll probably cut out everything in that script.
That'd be HFS, mostly.
Such is the price of Reveal as it is now.  You reveal them, sure, but none of the discovery scripts fire off, thus
no HFS, no magma buildings..
Announcements are already retooled for next release, so I really don't think this would be a good use of your time..
Mishimanriz: Histories of Pegasi and Dictionaries

Smew

• Bay Watcher
  • I'll kill you with my bear face.
    • View Profile
    • Deep Games for Deep Gamers
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2009, 07:27:08 pm »

Dtil already has an option in it's reveal add-on to disable digging announcements.