Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: So what is a temple good for?  (Read 2545 times)

cowofdoom78963

• Bay Watcher
  • check
    • View Profile
Re: So what is a temple good for?
« Reply #30 on: June 03, 2009, 02:48:21 pm »

The fact that you can "talk" to any God speaks against your thesis. It's just not quite finished yet. Really, only Toady knows what is going to happen.
Wait... You can talk to gods in this version?

Shadowgandor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 03, 2009, 02:49:34 pm »

God summoning would be so awesome. I can picture it in front of me.
You, the adventurer, are travelling to a dark fortress. Goblins are used to adventurers travelling to their homes to kill a few of their offspring and guards and then leave, but they were soon to be surprised that this adventurer has different plans.
This adventurer didn't come for bloodshed, not that of the goblins atleast. No, the adventurer is carrying human corpses with him, or pieces of them. He's planning to summon Amzo'kush, the god of death.
 On arrival, he speaks to the high priest, the high priest accepts the proposal and so the ritual began. Parts were chucked in the water, a new born child was sacrificed on the altar, its blood decorating the walls.
While the adventurer was placing the corpses in a circle'ish way, the high priest was reading from the book of darkness. 
 Suddenly, the earth starts to shake, the walls start to crumble and you hear a large crack before getting knocked out because part of the roof came down. 'What went wrong?', you think by yourself when, just before you passed out, you saw that nothing went wrong. Something dark emerges from the blood filled pool.
 After a few hours, you wake up again, only to see that the sky has turned dark, whilst not being night. No, this was something different, this was a different kind of darkness.
Upon arriving in the nearest Goblin Tower, you see that everything has been slaughtered. Goblins were ripped, limp from limp. The corpses of the slaves looked even more disgusting. Upon entering the world map, you travel to the nearest Dwarven civ, only finding death and destruction there as well.
 This is what you wanted, death, destruction and a creature to fight against, oh yea, this is DF :P

Sorry, I got carried along >.> But still, I would love being able to summon gods and demons and stuff :P

Time Kitten

• Bay Watcher
  • Evil Spirit
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 03, 2009, 03:46:17 pm »

And people will also worship megabeasts and goats and such, which you can meet, I suppose.

Byakugan01

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 03, 2009, 04:48:15 pm »

Watch what happens to a dragon in world gen. They almost all seem to end up worshiped.
From Mr. Welch's 1350 things he is not allowed to do in a RPG:
148. There is no Gnomish Deathgrip, and even if there was, it wouldn't involve tongs.
171. My character's dying words are not allowed to be "Hastur, Hastur, Hastur"
218. No matter my alignment, organizing halfling pit fights is a violation.
231. I am not allowed to do anything that would make a Sith Lord cry.
240. Any character with more than three skills specializing in chainsaw is vetoed.

Deimos56

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: unicorpion]
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 03, 2009, 10:36:48 pm »

The fact that you can "talk" to any God speaks against your thesis. It's just not quite finished yet. Really, only Toady knows what is going to happen.
Wait... You can talk to gods in this version?

Yes, you need only join their religious order. They... they don't talk back. There is silence on the other end. Quite encouraging, that.

God summoning would be so awesome. I can picture it in front of me.
You, the adventurer, are travelling to a dark fortress. Goblins are used to adventurers travelling to their homes to kill a few of their offspring and guards and then leave, but they were soon to be surprised that this adventurer has different plans.
This adventurer didn't come for bloodshed, not that of the goblins atleast. No, the adventurer is carrying human corpses with him, or pieces of them. He's planning to summon Amzo'kush, the god of death.
 On arrival, he speaks to the high priest, the high priest accepts the proposal and so the ritual began. Parts were chucked in the water, a new born child was sacrificed on the altar, its blood decorating the walls.
While the adventurer was placing the corpses in a circle'ish way, the high priest was reading from the book of darkness. 
 Suddenly, the earth starts to shake, the walls start to crumble and you hear a large crack before getting knocked out because part of the roof came down. 'What went wrong?', you think by yourself when, just before you passed out, you saw that nothing went wrong. Something dark emerges from the blood filled pool.
 After a few hours, you wake up again, only to see that the sky has turned dark, whilst not being night. No, this was something different, this was a different kind of darkness.
Upon arriving in the nearest Goblin Tower, you see that everything has been slaughtered. Goblins were ripped, limp from limp. The corpses of the slaves looked even more disgusting. Upon entering the world map, you travel to the nearest Dwarven civ, only finding death and destruction there as well.
 This is what you wanted, death, destruction and a creature to fight against, oh yea, this is DF :P

Sorry, I got carried along >.> But still, I would love being able to summon gods and demons and stuff :P

If that's what happens when a mere god of death is summoned, imagine the utter, pure, unadulterated madness spawned by an attempt to draw Armok himself into the mortal world.

"The golden rays of the sun begin to fade. Crimson red clouds begin to gather, as the sky turns black. Blood begins to rain everywhere as what can still be seen of the sun begins to turn a dark red. A deep, unmistakable laugh echoes on every surface. A pool of what once was water begins to boil violently as a red-robed being emerges from it... And everything fades to darkness."

Um... maybe I should stay away from this thread. :o
I'm curious what the barely conscious ai wrote about.
Well that went better than expected.  He went nuts and punched a rabbit to death, then the dogs and the whole dining hall ripped him to shreds.

Elliott_Thinas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 05, 2009, 06:59:39 am »

Temples will be more interesting WAY before the magic Arc once they become autonomous and can act on their own.

Anyhow currently the point of Temples is the High Priest who can give you missions. Usually to kill another High Priest.

I always ask the High Priest about service and all I become is a worshipper of whatever crazy god his people worship. How do I get missions?
I got me a breeding pair of Han Solos.
Pages: 1 2 [3]