Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: disaster button  (Read 824 times)

de5me7

• Bay Watcher
  • urban spaceman
    • View Profile
disaster button
« on: June 02, 2009, 11:12:52 am »

A button or command, when u press it a disaster occurs - e.g. a flood, a mega beast or an army attacks

Why destruction is a form of creation. Sometimes when you've built a fortress you want to watch it fall - loosing is fun. They have this function in the sim city games.

If this function was built in it would have to exclude certain monsters and siege strengths just to  prevent spoling the rareity of some encounters
I haven't been able to get any vomit this release. Not any I can pick up, at any rate.
Swans, too. Swans are complete bastards.

alfie275

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: disaster button
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2009, 11:30:15 am »

Use the search bar.
I do LP of videogames!
See here:
http://www.youtube.com/user/MrAlfie275

Aldaris

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIBERAL] [WANNABE_DORF] [CAVE_ADAPTED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2009, 01:43:20 pm »

Let's continue on the concept anyway. The thing is, pressing a button to make an enemy show up means the attack is predictable. Better would be that pressing it would spawn an attack anywhere between the next month and the year after. This keeps the element of suprise in, so your military won't be as prepared. Of course, the delay should be RAW'd so mods can do their thing if they want.
but Baron Aqizzar had the firm advantage, battering Cthulhu with his Mighty Chin.
^Totally not out of context, promise.
The Liberal Crime Squad Community game, now with a Liberal Overdose of Liberally aplied Liberalism. -Liberally. (UBER-Hiatus, next update somewhere between now and 2012.)

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2009, 01:48:27 pm »

Huh....I don't think that we need to have buttons like this.  :P

eerr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2009, 06:28:16 pm »

disaster button?
It's supposed to be a DIY project.
Do it yourself.

You could also search for "other features" and do alot of digging.

Fossaman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2009, 06:37:24 pm »

This sounds like something straight out of SimCity 2000. There was a 'disaster' menu that let you trigger a specific disaster at any time, or enable and disable automatic random disasters.

Might be an fun addition. Most of the disasters in SC2K were stuff that destroyed large chunks of the city; DF disasters would obviously be a little more complex. Although being able to trigger an earthquake to test exactly how stable your fortress is would be fun.
Quote from: ThreeToe
This story had a slide down a chute. Everybody likes chutes.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile

Byakugan01

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2009, 08:19:51 pm »

Hey, what's that bauxite lever for...
From Mr. Welch's 1350 things he is not allowed to do in a RPG:
148. There is no Gnomish Deathgrip, and even if there was, it wouldn't involve tongs.
171. My character's dying words are not allowed to be "Hastur, Hastur, Hastur"
218. No matter my alignment, organizing halfling pit fights is a violation.
231. I am not allowed to do anything that would make a Sith Lord cry.
240. Any character with more than three skills specializing in chainsaw is vetoed.

Aquillion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2009, 10:06:04 am »

My recollection is that Toady said that magically causing a siege at the push of a button can't happen, although I can't quite recall why at the moment...  it might just go against the design goal of eventually ensuring that everyone in a siege actually comes from somewhere as part of an overland migration.

Of course, once diplomacy is in I'm sure you'll be able to thumb your noses at your neighbors or make outrageous demands or whatever until they invade 'naturally', if you want.  You can already kind of encourage invasions by murdering merchants and diplomats, or by cutting down a lot of trees for the elves.
We don't want another cheap fantasy universe, we want a cheap fantasy universe generator. --Toady One

Deimos56

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: unicorpion]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2009, 12:26:43 am »

I move that if a disaster button is implemented, it should be a physical object that the dwarves (and other lever-pulling beings. I'm looking at YOU, gremlins.) are attracted to touch.
I'm curious what the barely conscious ai wrote about.
Well that went better than expected.  He went nuts and punched a rabbit to death, then the dogs and the whole dining hall ripped him to shreds.