Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6

Author Topic: More Complex Weapons.  (Read 5689 times)

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
Re: More Complex Weapons.
« Reply #45 on: June 05, 2009, 06:28:11 pm »

Yes but a single headed Axe would be better since an Axe cannot maintain momentum for the second hit making the other end window dressing.
You don't always do massive swings with an axe (as previously noted that leaves you vulnerable).  The momentum for the second strike comes from the same place as the first;  your arm.

You can't really say one is better than the other.  At the very least, the extra weight gives it more momentum, but making it more difficult to wield.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

Craftling

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 05, 2009, 09:54:27 pm »

I tried to see how I could hit myself in the back with a double headed axe, and it would be extremely hard. You would have to twist yourself around and then bring both hands to the end of the handle and then keep swinging when its past your enemy. It could happen, but it would be difficult. It could be another sparring accident though, about a 1/1000 chance of the the dwarf cutting himself.

SirHoneyBadger

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware those who would keep knowledge from you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 05, 2009, 11:37:52 pm »

Neonivek: Are you talking about an axe with two blades (double-bitted), or a handle with an axe at either end of it? (I guess called double-headed?).
For they would be your masters.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: June 05, 2009, 11:48:42 pm »

Neonivek: Are you talking about an axe with two blades (double-bitted), or a handle with an axe at either end of it? (I guess called double-headed?).

I am thinking of an Axe where both ends of the stick have an Axe.

SirHoneyBadger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 06, 2009, 12:05:20 am »

That's a little different, then. It'd be pretty easy to injure yourself with something like that.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: June 06, 2009, 03:13:16 am »

I am thinking of an Axe where both ends of the stick have an Axe.

._.

SirHoneyBadger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: June 06, 2009, 03:14:40 am »

C-----D

instead of
CD
 I
 I
 I

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: June 06, 2009, 03:19:09 am »

No, I get it, I just... have those ever existed?  I could see double ended spears of some kind, but axes?

Orange Drink

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: June 06, 2009, 03:35:23 am »

I've seen double ended flails, but not axes.

SirHoneyBadger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: June 06, 2009, 03:38:26 am »

I honestly don't think so...not on the battlefield, anyway, and I've been studying historic melee weapons from all over the world, for 30 years now.

It's so hard to say whether anything like that ever actually existed, and 30 years isn't a lot of time, when you consider the enormity of the subject, but I'd like to see evidence that if it did, it was anything other than a ceremonial object. In any case, it would have to be rare.

As far as double-headed spears go, yeah there are Wushu expedition weapons that conform to that. A case could be made for some of the more esoteric Martial Arts weapons conforming to a double-headed sword, as well, but that's a stretch. It's possible that there might be a Wushu version of the axe, as well, but I couldn't even find one of those.

The closest was a long-handled axe with a spearlike butt.

If you're looking for an exotic weapon that's a known quantity, I think you'd do better with more standard Martial Arts weapons, and Congolese weapons.

For a particularly interesting double-ended weapon, look no further than the kusari-gama. A flail on one end, a sickle (kama) on the other end.

On another subject: here's a very nice Wikipedia article on the Oakeshott sword typography. There are links at the bottom to descriptions of each type of medieval sword, with pictures.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oakeshott_typology

Possibly, our smiths could make swords that conform to each of these styles of "longsword" (and in some cases, bastard and great swords), further expanding our option to make unique weaponry.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2009, 04:10:49 am by SirHoneyBadger »

bjlong

• Bay Watcher
  • [INVISIBLE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: June 06, 2009, 07:43:10 pm »

Heph:

I've got a translated version of Talhoeffer. Still can't figure out how he pulls off the moves in some of his plates. I've heard a theory about how it might have been like a demo--look at all the cool things you can do if you study at our school!

I need to go find more translated fighting manuals, and a good group of people to study this stuff. Sadly, very little goes on in North Carolina in terms of HEMA.
I hesitate to click the last spoiler tag because I expect there to be Elder Gods in it or something.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: June 06, 2009, 10:04:42 pm »

I need to go find more translated fighting manuals, and a good group of people to study this stuff. Sadly, very little goes on in North Carolina in terms of HEMA.

Whoa, you're from NC?

eerr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: June 07, 2009, 12:26:51 am »

Whoa, you're from NC?
It's like guns n texas man. A natural and sustainable relationship

bjlong

• Bay Watcher
  • [INVISIBLE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: June 07, 2009, 07:08:40 pm »

Whoa, you're from NC?

Yup. Come school time, I'll be back in NC State.

eerr:

Uh... what?
I hesitate to click the last spoiler tag because I expect there to be Elder Gods in it or something.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: June 07, 2009, 07:19:57 pm »

Yup. Come school time, I'll be back in NC State.

Haha, wow.  I'm finishing up undergrad there this summer, and I'll be hanging around the Triangle for god knows how long after that.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6