Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: How can I get modded enemies to seige as quickly as possible?  (Read 1670 times)

nil

• Bay Watcher
  • whoa
    • View Profile

Ideally I'd like to see an attack within about a year regardless of fortress wealth or population.  Right now I've got a no-talking race without thieves or snatchers and with these tokens:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Am I using these right? Is there anything else I can do to speed things up?

ac31

• Bay Watcher
  • [FIREBREATH]
    • View Profile
Re: How can I get modded enemies to seige as quickly as possible?
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2009, 10:25:07 pm »

im not an expert on the construction of this game but to my programming mind wont the game skip those triggers?

it all depends on where the check is done, if its done at the start of a siege then it should work, but if its doing an equal to check it'l never be true

e.g. (ROUGH EXAMPLE, I DONT KNOW IF THIS IS HOW ITS DECIDED IN GAME)

on (dwarf immigrant)
check (dwarftotal = PROGRESS_TRIGGER_POPULATION)
if 1
then siege = 1

if the game doesnt count your initial dwarves as immigrants then you might fall through a hole in logic and your modded race will NEVER invade

like i said its a theory that came to my mind

Just wondering if it would be possible (however unwise) to make demons a civilisation
I don't see any reason they couldn't be. What would happen if they breached the HFS?
Horrors! Annoying relatives in the deep!

nil

• Bay Watcher
  • whoa
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2009, 10:53:19 pm »

Yeah I've been worried about something like that.  The wiki does seem to say that 0 is an acceptable value, but it could be wrong.  I've also got some babysnatching races that use the same tokens with values of one or two and so far they've showed up in two games, while the ones with the zero value have not (yet, at least).  Next gen I'll try bumping them up to 1.

Slappy Moose

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2009, 12:30:02 am »

Replace the default progress values with these.
[PROGRESS_TRIGGER_POPULATION:1]
[PROGRESS_TRIGGER_PRODUCTION:1]
[PROGRESS_TRIGGER_TRADE:1]
I have my production set to 2 so I don't get mobbed before I even have a workshop built, but I've never actually tried it.

Also, add these.
[ACTIVE_SEASON:SPRING]
[ACTIVE_SEASON:SUMMER]
[ACTIVE_SEASON:AUTUMN]
[ACTIVE_SEASON:WINTER]
This will make them possibly attack every season.

Also, you mentioned you had a no talking race so I'm assuming you are using the [CAN_CIV] trick.

If you want a real meat grinder, I'd reccomend adding more races to the entity file. I currently have four races like this, and so far I've only seen three. Not sure if it's a coding error on my part, they just haven't decided to siege yet, or what.

The last season I've had nonstop attacks. My deceased list in the units menu is massive (like 4 pages or more). I've temporarily modded my dwarves to have a damblock of 100 and move at near lightspeed so I can get my fort all set up with traps, but they still manage to get their limbs broken in large fights.
Zaneg Thazor: Armok Reincarnate Story http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=19291.msg196691#msg196691

[Healthcare Update Thread] Personally, I can't wait for doctors to get possessed and start surgically attaching axes to champion soldier's arms.

Blakmane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2009, 05:06:33 pm »

babysnatcher slows down the rate at which they seige (they'll babysnatch first). Take that off and just leave them as no talkers. With progress_trigger_population set to 1 they should siege you the season after your first immigrant wave.

nil

• Bay Watcher
  • whoa
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2009, 02:15:09 pm »

Thanks guys, bumping the progress triggers up from 0 to 1 worked great.

Grax

• Bay Watcher
  • The Only.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2009, 07:14:51 am »

What if i set the triggers to =10 ?..

Hmmm... let's try.
Finis sanctificat media.

nil

• Bay Watcher
  • whoa
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2009, 04:14:30 pm »

Hmmm... let's try.
According to the wiki, 5 is the max value.  also I'm pretty sure that the numbers correspond to the fortress levels (hamlet, city, etc) here.

Grax

• Bay Watcher
  • The Only.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2009, 01:53:52 am »

Hmmm... let's try.
According to the wiki, 5 is the max value.  also I'm pretty sure that the numbers correspond to the fortress levels (hamlet, city, etc) here.

Yesterday i've modded in "orcs" from OrcMod (size=7 littersize 2:3) and "orxz" that are alike orcs but bigger in size (10), fatty (10), damblock=-1 and child=3 littersize=1:5 (less they eventually somehow don't survive).
Set orcs' triggers to 2-6-5.
Set orxz' triggers to 5-10-15.
All seasons active.

And get an orc siege straight with the first merchants in the first winter - that was a great luck for me as i had only 6 picks and an axe.
That's against 10 orc wrestlers, 4 maces and 1 swordmaster (or swordlord?).
Merchants helped me survive but almost died out, the one survivor retreat off the map crying loud in horror. ;-)

In spring i get next siege, now of orxz, somewhat 12-15 wrestlers, 5-8 spears and 1 macelord.
They come just a second after the human caravan and wipe them all out including the diplomat before i even ensign all my 7.
And the foe were defeated by the stonetraps corridor and bone crossbows with orc bone bolts (as i don't even find magma pipe to smelt orc iron and have no trees to fuel industry).

Then was a year of repose.

And now i'm sitting locked in my cave, as they come to visit me at once from different sides, TWO hords of orcs (each of ~15 warriors), THREE hords of orxz (3*15) - they bastards don't fight with each other.

And a human cohort on the other side of the map, just modestly awaiting for their queue in the farthest corner.

So i think maybe 5 isn't maximum...

I wonder if i get another orc/orxz siege next year in addiction to these? (as i won't able to destroy these sieges in this year)

UPDATE: One horde of orxz crushed the human siege.
Another 2 hordes of orxz have arrived.

And i've managed to defend myself with a whole array of stonetraps and trap-bridges.

96 corpses and 203 body parts on the map, some of them already rot to bones.
Uh. Every dwarf is wounded, i'm lucky two of them still can walk, and other's don't bleed.

I'm dread to even imagine what will be next year...
« Last Edit: June 10, 2009, 06:07:11 am by Grax »
Finis sanctificat media.

nil

• Bay Watcher
  • whoa
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2009, 01:12:31 pm »

That sounds pretty nuts.  Still not convinced that five isn't the maximum, though.  The mod I'm trying to make has all the races changed to be aggressive, with some extra creatures modded to be civs.  I set the trigger values to correlate with enemy strength--frogmen and kobolds on 1, elves and lizardmen on 2, goblins and humans on 3, ogres on 4 and giants on 5.  Even playing for several years I never saw ogres or giants, and the humans only sent babysnatchers.  Plenty of frogmen and kobolds, though.

I'm no expert modder, clearly, but I strongly suspect the reason the orxzs showed up so early is that the game was reading only the first digit of those second two values--"1" instead of "10" and "15."  You should regen with those values bumped back down to 5 (or 4 or 3) across the board, see if that makes them hold off a little longer.

Grax

• Bay Watcher
  • The Only.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2009, 01:11:03 am »

That sounds pretty nuts.  Still not convinced that five isn't the maximum, though.
Maybe. Only Toady's word will prove that.

The mod I'm trying to make has all the races changed to be aggressive, with some extra creatures modded to be civs.  I set the trigger values to correlate with enemy strength--frogmen and kobolds on 1, elves and lizardmen on 2, goblins and humans on 3, ogres on 4 and giants on 5.  Even playing for several years I never saw ogres or giants, and the humans only sent babysnatchers.  Plenty of frogmen and kobolds, though.

I'm no expert modder, clearly, but I strongly suspect the reason the orxzs showed up so early is that the game was reading only the first digit of those second two values--"1" instead of "10" and "15."  You should regen with those values bumped back down to 5 (or 4 or 3) across the board, see if that makes them hold off a little longer.
You mean less value in triggers leads to higher "attractiveness" of my fort to enemy?!
Finis sanctificat media.

Blakmane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2009, 02:16:53 am »

That sounds pretty nuts.  Still not convinced that five isn't the maximum, though.
Maybe. Only Toady's word will prove that.

The mod I'm trying to make has all the races changed to be aggressive, with some extra creatures modded to be civs.  I set the trigger values to correlate with enemy strength--frogmen and kobolds on 1, elves and lizardmen on 2, goblins and humans on 3, ogres on 4 and giants on 5.  Even playing for several years I never saw ogres or giants, and the humans only sent babysnatchers.  Plenty of frogmen and kobolds, though.

You mean less value in triggers leads to higher "attractiveness" of my fort to enemy?!

The triggers are exactly that, triggers. When they are reached, the race will siege/trade/babysnatch/itemsteal or whatever they do. 1 is the lowest trigger and will be reached the soonest, resulting in the entity coming sooner. A pop trigger of 1 is (I think) only a few more dwarves than your starting 7 (possibly 10ish). A trade trigger of 1 is easily reachable in the first trade. A trade trigger of 2 is usually achieved in the first trade, if you trade a big pile of goods.

No idea for production.

nil

• Bay Watcher
  • whoa
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2009, 12:01:31 pm »

Saying that since your "10" and "15" are bringing in enemies way faster than I've ever seen "3" "4" or "5" trigger them, I think it's not actually reading "10" and "15" as those numbers, but instead as just "1" (like maybe that part of the raws only reads the first digit) and therefore is causing them to show up as early as possible.

Grax

• Bay Watcher
  • The Only.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2009, 02:41:25 am »

Saying that since your "10" and "15" are bringing in enemies way faster than I've ever seen "3" "4" or "5" trigger them, I think it's not actually reading "10" and "15" as those numbers, but instead as just "1" (like maybe that part of the raws only reads the first digit) and therefore is causing them to show up as early as possible.
And there's no correlation with orcs that have 2-6-5 and sieged me with two hordes while the fort was populated only by starting seven. ;-)
Finis sanctificat media.

Grax

• Bay Watcher
  • The Only.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2009, 01:24:11 am »

So.
Da statistegz of lazt ten yerz:

They always come in groups, each of 16 warriors. Orcs and orxzs.

Orcs (2-6-5, all seasons) come twice a year (in spring and autumn) in 3 or 4 groups at once (never less 3 and never been more than 4).
Orxzs (5-10-15, all seasons) come 1 or 2 times (no steady season) a year, in 4 or 5 groups. (of 16 warriors each!)

So once i have to deal with more than hundred corpses and more than half a thousand of body parts when two sieges come almost at once.
Finis sanctificat media.
Pages: [1] 2