Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Looking for an Online RPG  (Read 2466 times)

rickvoid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Looking for an Online RPG
« on: June 01, 2009, 04:28:30 pm »

So I've decided that I want to play an online RPG. I've spent a long time refusing to do so (I have an issue with having to continue to pay for a game I've already but, but meh), but I'm getting over it.

Also, I'm horribly bored.

Anyway, I was wondering what most people here play, or would recommend I try. If anybody has a group already in-game, that's what I'm looking for as well.

I'm currently looking at Lineage II, World of Warcraft (self-cringe), Final Fantasy XI (double self-cringe), or Guild Wars.

Puck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for an Online RPG
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2009, 04:40:29 pm »

There are several enjoyable options without monthly payment.

I really enjoyed guild wars, but that was only in the first year after release.

You can also just get some of the older party based RPGs that have online multiplayer functionality.

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2009, 04:42:31 pm »

Puzzle Pirates.

DON'T KNOCK IT.

The bilging puzzle is great fun when you're bored.  Sailing and carpentry are a ton of fun when you're twitchy AND bored.  And swordfighting is wonderful if you like Puzzle Fighters or Tetris Attack or etc.

Seriously, you're going to be grinding anyway.  At least play a game that acknowledges it, and focuses on making the repetitive tasks fun in their own right.  Plus, it's easy to hop on for just half an hour at a time.

I'm serious, www.puzzlepirates.com is one of the best online RPGs you can find.

If you want something that'll REALLY suck up your time, try A Tale in the Desert, but that's not really recommended, it can consume your life if you are bored.
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

rickvoid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2009, 04:55:14 pm »

I'm looking for something less-browser based, and more software based. Sword and Sorcery setting preferred.

Thinking about Warhammer Mark of Chaos, but I have a feeling my computer would weep at the requirements...

Keep the suggestions coming!  ;D

dei

• Bay Watcher
  • Someone.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2009, 05:02:02 pm »

My personal favorites are all Korean -

Wonderland, an MMO based off of Southern Pacific folklore, where the following interesting things are found -

• Multi-accounting and logging into multiple accounts at once for one-player parties.
  • A crafting system that involves alchemy, which in this game, is combining items according to recipes you discover yourself, and hoping for the best.
  • Fanservice in the form of pretty girls (and guys), hot springs, bath tubs, and characters that "bounce"
  • Fairly decent cutscenes
  • Monster taming AND human companions
  • A partner matching system based on star-sign and blood type
  • The ability for a level 5 player to take down a level 10 boss

(Do note that in the Terms of Service, it says you must be 18+ to play, but I knew of quite a few players that were indeed violating that without reprimand.)

Mabinogi is a social MMORPG that is somewhat based off of Celtic mythology from a book called the Mabninogion, and has the following features.

• PVP in things like racial wars and battles between Law and Chaos
  • Systems of aging, reincarnation, diet, school, part-time jobs, marriage, crafting, and possibly someday, housing.
  • Randomly generated dungeons that become easy or difficult depending on what you offer them.
  • Several main quests and continents, including options to become a champion of law or a champion of chaos
  • Loads of special events with promotional items online and off
  • Interesting things to buy using real money (like perks and pets that you can play as), but loads of free content too
  • People who actually roleplay and help others out, in guilds and not

(Do note that this game has a ridiculously large swear filter,  where you can't even say words that are used in the naming of certain items. This is due to trolls and the fact that Nexon also makes Maple Story and other kid-friendly MMOs. Mabinogi is their least kid-friendly, but not by much.)

However, if you want roleplay, try Illarion. It's a MMORPG with servers based in Germany that requires constant roleplay. Kind of a medieval setting, and not going with the setting is frowned upon. But there are quite a few people there willing to teach you how to roleplay.

Then there are also the elitists who will ignore you if you can't roleplay well. And the features are limited too, but it's constantly in development. They also accept people who wish to help script the game, sometimes.

Virtz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2009, 05:46:05 pm »

I'm looking for something less-browser based, and more software based.
Actually, Puzzle Pirates isn't browser based. It's Java based, so it can be freely chucked in a web browser as an applet. You can download a stand-alone client off the site if you prefer it like that (although from what I remember, it opens up in a seperate window even when launched from the browser).

Mabinogi
ACHTUNG: Not available in Europe. You can connect to the American servers via a proxy program, but that's just sloooooow. So if you're in Europe like myself, no luck here. Especially considering the combat is a bit reflex-based (becomes near unplayable when laggy).

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2009, 05:57:26 pm »

Wonderland actually sounds somewhat interesting and so does Mabinogi.  Weird.

And yeah, Puzzle Pirates doesn't run in a browser, it's a stand-alone app that happens to run on any platform that can run Java.  ;)  It sure does have swords, and it's got a fair amount of sorcery in its setting, but mostly that's the evil pirate lords and undead and Atlanteans and stuff...
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

Soulwynd

• Bay Watcher
  • -_-
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2009, 06:08:03 pm »

I played Wonderland beta a while ago. It wasn't to my liking at the time but it also didn't have all the features it has now. I will give it another try, since I've been craving for games lately. Mabinogi, bleh, I wish I could play it just to compose songs, that's all I like about it. Can't either, not in north america.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2009, 06:46:33 pm »

Every Korean MMO I've ever played has been terrible.
Shoes...

Soulwynd

• Bay Watcher
  • -_-
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2009, 06:59:44 pm »

True. I'm hoping Huxley will be a bit better. Being a MMOFPS after all.

Ampersand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2009, 07:00:11 pm »

!!&!!

Rilder

• Bay Watcher
  • Rye Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2009, 07:10:22 pm »

KoreaMMO's can be fun, but they tend to be way to much about grinding, they also, at least early on make everybody look like clones with only like 1 or 2 different armor sets.
Steam Profile
Youtube(Let's Plays), Occasional Streaming
It felt a bit like a movie in which two stoners try to steal a military helicopter

rickvoid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2009, 07:23:40 pm »

I bought the $2 World of Warcraft trial, so we'll see how that goes.

I'll look at this other stuff too.  ;D

Soulwynd

• Bay Watcher
  • -_-
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2009, 09:17:53 pm »

And this is why wonderland rocks.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile