Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: I want to be a Pirate! No, not that kind!  (Read 3103 times)

Ioric Kittencuddler

• Bay Watcher
  • Multiclass Bard/Kitten trainer
    • View Profile
Re: I want to be a Pirate! No, not that kind!
« Reply #30 on: July 12, 2009, 01:44:32 am »

Praise be to your deity of choice! He's back!

Holy three legged cannibal rat monkeys with aside of contaminated cold slaw!  Wait, what?
Come see the MOST interesting Twitter account on the internet!  Mine!

Don't worry!  Be happy!  It's the law!

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 12, 2009, 01:46:20 am »

Praise be to your deity of choice! He's back!

Holy three legged cannibal rat monkeys with aside of contaminated cold slaw!  Wait, what?

Shhh, I'm watching the monkey.

Ioric Kittencuddler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 12, 2009, 01:46:57 am »

You crack me up little buddy.

So anyway...

Am I the only one here whose finished the game already?
« Last Edit: July 12, 2009, 01:56:27 am by Ioric Kittencuddler »

Mr Tk

• Bay Watcher
  • Would you like a mint? It's only waffer thin.
    • View Profile
First ten minutes of play I ate my loincloth and then got some limbs torn off by a super friendly rat. Thumbs up from me.

Ioric Kittencuddler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 12, 2009, 03:24:48 am »

I am amused by your YouTube offering.

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 12, 2009, 03:32:57 am »

Ah, but an orange....

Guybrush is a bit of an asshole when you think about it.

Jreengus

• Bay Watcher
  • Si Hoc Legere Scis Nimium Eruditionis Habes
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 12, 2009, 05:42:23 pm »

So I acquired the free full demo, criticism so far:
1. Why is Elaine now a mindless doting wife who views Guybrush as some amazing hero? What happened to him being a bumbling incompetent she loves despite his flaws?
2. Why the fuck did they design the control system to be as annoying as possible? Point and click! Didn't they learn from 4 that anything else will be extremely annoying?
3.Those damn map puzzles, the first one on it's own was annoying enough but then they decided to throw in another??? Because I enjoyed following animal sounds so much the first time that I really want to do it again. Oh and as if it wasn't annoying enough anyway they make you follow the direction a weather vain faces sometimes. Sure it sounds simple but then they change the dam camera angle whilst showing you which way it is facing to one completely unrelated to the one whilst moving so actually the weather section becomes a case of trial and error. (Bonus points for making Guybrush move at the well so you can't even use which direction it was facing in relation to him.)
Oh yeah baby, you know you like it.  Now stop crying and get in my lungs.
Boil your penis. I'm convinced that's how it happened.
My HoM.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 12, 2009, 07:29:46 pm »

Elaine is odd... she shouldn't be a Damsel at all

SURE she often needed to be saved but that is usually when Guybrush put her in that situation (though to my knowledge she saved herself in most of the games when she was kidnapped and once from jail)

Though after listening to some trailers I don't think these new games will be worth it. Since when does Guybrush actually fight Lechuck one on one?

Ioric Kittencuddler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 12, 2009, 08:33:43 pm »

Elaine is odd... she shouldn't be a Damsel at all

SURE she often needed to be saved but that is usually when Guybrush put her in that situation (though to my knowledge she saved herself in most of the games when she was kidnapped and once from jail)

Though after listening to some trailers I don't think these new games will be worth it. Since when does Guybrush actually fight Lechuck one on one?

Considering the fact that her entire torso is bound with excessive amounts of rope, there wasn't that much she could do.  She still does everything she can in that state.  Reminding Guybrush to stop being stupid and stop Le' Chuck, knocking over the mast on her ship so Guybrush can get across to it.

Since when does Guybrush fight Le'Chuck one on one?  Um... Since Secret of Monkey Island... When he fought LeChuck alone... :-\

thatguyyaknow:  I have no idea what you're talking about with the mindless doting wife thing.  He's still a bumbling incompetent she loves despite his flaws, though admittedly he seems slightly less incompetant than he was in SoMI.  Probably why they're still married since they originally broke up after the first game.

2. Why they did it was for the Wii.  I have no idea why they didn't make it also point and click.  What's weird is it's point and click for objects, just not for movement.  If you click on an object Guybrush will walk over to it just fine, and run if you double click, but if there's nothing to click on you have to use these weird unwieldy movement controls

3.  I really didn't find these all that annoying.  They weren't long enough to be monotonous, and they were fairly clever really.  It's not difficult at all to read the weathervane.  Just be aware of your surroundings.  That isn't too much for an adventure game to ask is it?

I actually bought a legal copy of the game.  Maybe that's your problem.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2009, 08:35:23 pm by Ioric Kittencuddler »

Jreengus

• Bay Watcher
  • Si Hoc Legere Scis Nimium Eruditionis Habes
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 12, 2009, 08:55:34 pm »

So I see Guybrush, next to a well holding a weathervane, 4 or 5 identical paths leading away, the camera suddenly snaps to a different angle and Guybrush starts walking and I am from this somehow meant to identify which path it was pointing at? The first one I identified the path from which way it was pointing in relation to him the second one I tried guessing twice and then just quit and close the game because it honestly wasn't good enough for me to keep trying. As for playing the helpless damsel she was just sitting their crying for him to help her, contrast to the first one where she gets kidnapped escapes and almost killed Le Chuck if Guybrush hadn't interfered. The second one where he bumbles along stumbling upon big whoop more form luck than any kind of skill whilst she goes right there. The third one where she fights of Le Chuck single handed until Guybrush puts a curse on her. And the fourth where she is trying to solve the problem and basically sends Guybrush of on errands to keep him out the way (She even admits as much in one of her lines). It just seemed to me that a more Elainish thing to would be say get him to cut the ropes and give her the sword.
Oh yeah baby, you know you like it.  Now stop crying and get in my lungs.
Boil your penis. I'm convinced that's how it happened.
My HoM.

Ioric Kittencuddler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 12, 2009, 09:55:06 pm »

In curse she's single handedly fighting a losing battle against LeChuck and is about to get blown to smithereens before Guybrush accidentally makes LeChuck drop his Flaming Voodoo Cannonball and blow himself up instead...  She only gets cursed afterward, when he proposes to her.

I'll admit you sort of have a point, but you're trying to make it by bending and fabricating the truth.  It is out of character that she wouldn't free herself, but that can be easily explained by the fact that this scene was a tutorial made to look like a finale to the fictional Monkey Island 5.

Servant Corps

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 12, 2009, 11:59:18 pm »

1. Why is Elaine now a mindless doting wife who views Guybrush as some amazing hero? What happened to him being a bumbling incompetent she loves despite his flaws?

Quote from: Elaine
Oh great, we're going to die. Again.

...That's doting?
I have left Bay12Games to pursue a life of non-Bay12Games. If you need to talk to me, please email at me at igorhorst at gmail dot com.

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 13, 2009, 12:00:12 am »

QFT. She doesn't seem to have changed.

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 13, 2009, 02:53:50 am »

Well, I have to admit, I've only seen the video. Either way, downloading demo now. Eeeeeeeeeee!

Ioric Kittencuddler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 13, 2009, 04:26:25 am »

Oh yeah, and about the weather vane... I personally didn't have any trouble using it.  In the area with the well the camera moves in a bit closer and higher, but it's still facing in the exact same horizontal direction so it's easy to tell which way to go.  If you really can't tell, just look at the well.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4