Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: The world needs an MS Paint Adventures-based CRPG.  (Read 894 times)

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
The world needs an MS Paint Adventures-based CRPG.
« on: June 01, 2009, 11:58:50 am »

Does this belong in Other Games or in General Discussion, or even anywhere on this board at all?  Who knows!  I'm leaning towards Other Games because mspaintadventures is, itself, almost a game.

Well, more specifically, it's a remarkably epic webcomic that emulates an RPG based almost entirely on reader input for 'commands', and featuring the most demented and wonderful console-RPG-like mechanics I've ever seen.  It's pretty close to the parody FAQ "Beath of Flams" if you've ever seen that.

(If you haven't read MS Paint Adventures, go click that first link.  It drops you at the start of the current story, Homestuck, which you will know is amazing and awesome by the first fight sequence.  The previous story, Problem Sleuth, is also a work of unimaginably epic art.  Seriously.  It is Epic in the finest tradition of Epic.  The epic of its story puts the most epic of JRPGs to shame.  Of course, being what it is, it only evolves into epic gradually, from totally humble beginnings.)

Anyway.  I propose that taking the game mechanics across the current and previous story and mercilessly hacking them apart would provide the basis for a totally awesome roguelike.  Because other forms of CRPG are way too hard, and roguelikes are what you want for cool game mechanics that might be more important than a story.  Who's with me?
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

Okenido

• Bay Watcher
  • Loli Advocate
    • View Profile
    • New Various Nonsense
Re: The world needs an MS Paint Adventures-based CRPG.
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2009, 12:02:16 pm »

You are mistaken with it's genre.

It's a bloody adventure game.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2009, 12:04:14 pm »

You are mistaken with it's genre.

It's a bloody adventure game.

Shhhh! No one knows the difference between RPGs and Adventure games anymore. The Secret of its true purpose must never be found out!

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2009, 12:12:42 pm »

Adventure game is...questionable.

Anything that has that many stats and learned skills and level-ups kind of stops being an adventure game to me.

It's adventure game to the players, but it's RPG within the context of...god, I don't even know.  It's a hybrid.

I think it would be fun to rip some of the outward appearance of the mechanics and their craziness, and stuff that into a tasty RPG shell.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2009, 12:14:44 pm »

"It's a hybrid"

RPG and Adventure cannot hybrid.

In another world one could be a subgenre of the other.

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2009, 12:26:51 pm »

Early to midway through Problem Sleuth, it turned into a serious caricature of JRPGs.  I'm hoping that's not very disputable...

Have you read Homestuck?  Serious adventure game cred so far.  And then suddenly console RPG fight sequence.

Yeah it is a hybrid.  Or if not a hybrid, then at least a frankenstein's-monster.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2009, 12:31:28 pm »

Problem Sleuth could not really be called an RPG or even a hybrid.  Yes, it ribbed/homaged stat systems, but you'll notice the stats were all-or-nothing in every instance, and appeared and disappeared by the needs of the extended activity.  Each character had things they could do and things they couldn't do - like an adventure game.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2009, 12:34:57 pm »

Problem Sleuth could not really be called an RPG or even a hybrid.  Yes, it ribbed/homaged stat systems, but you'll notice the stats were all-or-nothing in every instance, and appeared and disappeared by the needs of the extended activity.  Each character had things they could do and things they couldn't do - like an adventure game.

Yeah, but that's true of almost every other webcomic that tries to emulate a console RPG.

Of course the webcomic is an adventure, but what it's emulating, I don't quite know.

I still want to make a roguelike that develops that system into something vaguely resembling a mature RPG system.  Or at least a parody.  Would that make it a parody of a parody?  God.