Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Mod: Dwarf Fortress Rebalance  (Read 3551 times)

Lav

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Mod: Dwarf Fortress Rebalance
« on: June 01, 2009, 11:55:21 am »

My personal 5 cents contribution for the world of DF modding. :-)

Dwarf Fortress Rebalance: trying to change as much as possible while actually changing as little as possible. :-)

Changelog follows:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Comments and criticism are welcome. :-)
Seems to be the way with things on this forum; if an invention doesn't involve death by magma then you know someone's going to go out of their way to make sure it does involve death by magma... then it gets acknowledged as being a great invention.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
Re: Mod: Dwarf Fortress Rebalance
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2009, 01:32:16 pm »

I see what you did here :).
I mean, yeah, almost the same thing I am doing: different subraces, more creatures, some alloys...

It looks like we've ran out of ideas till the next release :).

I will give it a try tomorrow.

P.S. A suggestion: give it a sounding name. As long as DF stands not for a mythical "balance" but gameplay, find something epic-sounding. I personally don't like my "Dwarf Fortress Complete" name either, I am just lazy to rename it :).

P.S. Do your elves use unique equipment for each subrace? If so, we could collaborate... cooperate... Whatever, I am currently friendly and drunk. I mean I have human subraces (4) with various items, you have different elves, we have a developed duergar mod here too... It would be cool if we focused each other in some race for subraces' sake and form a single mod... Ah, drunken dreams...
« Last Edit: June 01, 2009, 01:35:28 pm by Deon »
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2009, 01:38:47 pm »

Eh, I see your elves use the same things, they mostly just have different names and biomes... Work on details, it can turn out pretty good.

Wait, what the hell did you use ? Some devilish xls-to-raws converter? These xls files are weird and all those newlines and empty spaces burn my modder's eyes! :O
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬

Blakmane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2009, 06:15:28 pm »

P.S. Do your elves use unique equipment for each subrace? If so, we could collaborate... cooperate... Whatever, I am currently friendly and drunk. I mean I have human subraces (4) with various items, you have different elves, we have a developed duergar mod here too... It would be cool if we focused each other in some race for subraces' sake and form a single mod... Ah, drunken dreams...

I'm thinking we could create something pretty awesome if we combined things Deon =). Our mods have the same focus (graphics, creatures, races, options) but in complimentary ways.

Lav

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2009, 12:58:46 am »

Deon, I have downloaded all major mods including yours. They are all mostly similar, but I have a somewhat different approach to certain things.

First, I don't like introducing tons of mythical metals and alloys. Mithril and adamantite are enough IMHO because they are related to Things-That-Must-Not-Be-Named.

Second, I don't like introducing tons of items that essentially do the same thing and their only real difference is that they have different names and are produced by different cultures. This may be interesting for adventure mode but is excessive for fortress mode IMHO.

At the same time, I don't have the nerve to start working on language files. I'm currently translating game language file into Russian and it's hell of a work but at least I see a certain goal there. Inventing some unexistant languages however is something I lack willpower to undertake. And graphics are not exactly my strong point, too.

I'd rather concentrate on game balance which is my primary concern.

Perhaps we could list the features and decide what features from what mod could be bundled together into a "community mod"?
Seems to be the way with things on this forum; if an invention doesn't involve death by magma then you know someone's going to go out of their way to make sure it does involve death by magma... then it gets acknowledged as being a great invention.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2009, 03:45:45 am »

Deon, I have downloaded all major mods including yours. They are all mostly similar, but I have a somewhat different approach to certain things.

First, I don't like introducing tons of mythical metals and alloys. Mithril and adamantite are enough IMHO because they are related to Things-That-Must-Not-Be-Named.

Second, I don't like introducing tons of items that essentially do the same thing and their only real difference is that they have different names and are produced by different cultures. This may be interesting for adventure mode but is excessive for fortress mode IMHO.

At the same time, I don't have the nerve to start working on language files. I'm currently translating game language file into Russian and it's hell of a work but at least I see a certain goal there. Inventing some unexistant languages however is something I lack willpower to undertake. And graphics are not exactly my strong point, too.

I'd rather concentrate on game balance which is my primary concern.

Perhaps we could list the features and decide what features from what mod could be bundled together into a "community mod"?
Nah, there's no such thing as "community mod". Many tried, I tried too, it's just about the fact how it's easy to customize dwarf fortress. I mean, every player wants something different...

And I don't get it. You don't want to introduce new items. You don't want to introduce new metals (and I agree that you shouldn't, I think there's a lot of mods and there's Minerals mod which nicely address it). What you did is copy a few absolutely same races and name them differently. What's the point?

Also I do not agree that different items are bad for Fortress Mode. If you play it as a standard RTS, then yes. You could have a generic "armor", "weapon" and "shield" then. If you play it as I do, I mean reading dwarves' thoughts, giving them nickname and getting a headache by customizing their equipment and stuff, then ability to dress your warriors as you like and to fight enemies with different weapons is really nice.

It's all about flavor.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2009, 03:47:34 am by Deon »
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬

Lav

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2009, 05:19:25 am »

And I don't get it. You don't want to introduce new items. You don't want to introduce new metals (and I agree that you shouldn't, I think there's a lot of mods and there's Minerals mod which nicely address it). What you did is copy a few absolutely same races and name them differently. What's the point?
The point is in the mod title. It's not about a new world. It's about rebalancing the game while staying as close to vanilla as possible. There's still a lot of room for improvement there.

Besides, the races are not the same. They are very different culturally and will probably have some biological variations too once I start working on creatures(though not much).

Also I do not agree that different items are bad for Fortress Mode. If you play it as a standard RTS, then yes. You could have a generic "armor", "weapon" and "shield" then. If you play it as I do, I mean reading dwarves' thoughts, giving them nickname and getting a headache by customizing their equipment and stuff, then ability to dress your warriors as you like and to fight enemies with different weapons is really nice.
Well, what you did is copy a few absolutely same weapons and name them differently. What's the point? I prefer to keep things simple when there's no real need for complexity. Civilizations required variety so you could be sieged by three different elven civs per year instead of one, or trade with some elven civs while fighting with other ones. Weapons on the other side are not that important for me and I'm perfectly fine to call all mid-eastern blades "scimitars" for the sake of simplicity.

As for the minerals, I'm all for realism so when I see a real mineral that adds something to the game, I add it, that's all.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2009, 05:50:05 am »

I get your point.

However I tuned weapons, so they are not absolutely same weapons, and they make a nice variety if you know what're you going after :).
I wish weapons had more parameters though.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬

Lav

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2009, 10:39:32 am »

I wish weapons had more parameters though.
Seconded. :-)