Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Martial arts/self defense  (Read 4913 times)

bjlong

• Bay Watcher
  • [INVISIBLE]
    • View Profile
Re: Martial arts/self defense
« Reply #15 on: June 01, 2009, 05:56:10 pm »

Sonerohi, could you explain why the blocks don't work?

Gorjo, thanks, that was an excellent post, and it covered many of the points I was going to make. Also, how was the training you had? Anything of note?

Since I'm asking everyone about their training, my fencing training involved a lot of drills that involved staying at a certain range, and a whole lot of of parry-riposte drills. The parry-riposte drills actually helped me when moving to other fighting stuffs--the main thing I learned from them is how to set up your next attack if you can only defend.
I hesitate to click the last spoiler tag because I expect there to be Elder Gods in it or something.

Fishersalwaysdie

• Bay Watcher
  • Slayer of Threads
    • View Profile
    • http://chupacabra
« Reply #16 on: June 01, 2009, 06:05:06 pm »

Nice to see more children in my local aikido club, muscle memory builds better at younger ages.
It's been a long time since I trained, but I often react with moves that resemble aikido before I realize what's happening.
Cannot find self-destruction button, could have sworn it's somewhere here...

sonerohi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 01, 2009, 07:22:40 pm »

Sonerohi, could you explain why the blocks don't work?

Gorjo, thanks, that was an excellent post, and it covered many of the points I was going to make. Also, how was the training you had? Anything of note?

Since I'm asking everyone about their training, my fencing training involved a lot of drills that involved staying at a certain range, and a whole lot of of parry-riposte drills. The parry-riposte drills actually helped me when moving to other fighting stuffs--the main thing I learned from them is how to set up your next attack if you can only defend.

Alot of the blocks they taught us required a large amount of space to pull off these weird arm flourishes, or else they utilized the wrist as the blocking point. The former is just ridiculous and the latter caused one kid in my class a broken wrist when he put too much confidence into it.
I picked up the stone and carved my name into the wind.

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 01, 2009, 07:30:36 pm »

Oh yeah, I remembered another tip: never go for a high kick. The highest you should aim for with your foot are the knees. If you aim too high your opponent can catch your leg (hands are faster than feet, after all), and then you're in deep shit.
Urist, President has immigrated to your fortress!
Urist, President mandates the Dwarven Bill of Rights.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

Muz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 01, 2009, 08:19:01 pm »

Martial arts say: Strength does not matter.

Science says: Strength is not all there is to it, but it sure helps!

Well, an untrained, 6'6", 100 kg man can deal about 10 kg of force in a punch. A trained 5'4", 50 kg man could deal around 30-40 kg of force. It's all about using the mass and mechanics of your body right.

But then again.. that big guy can dish out more damage with training. And training is all they do in prison. Which is why a lot of the real experts who have been in real battles tell you not to fight someone unless you really have to. Some people, when pissed enough or on drugs are able to keep fighting, even with broken ribs or after you hit them in the face.
Disclaimer: Any sarcasm in my posts will not be mentioned as that would ruin the purpose. It is assumed that the reader is intelligent enough to tell the difference between what is sarcasm and what is not.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 02, 2009, 12:02:39 am »

Well, an untrained, 6'6", 100 kg man can deal about 10 kg of force in a punch. A trained 5'4", 50 kg man could deal around 30-40 kg of force

So you're saying that I could do some serious damage, eh? I've been considering a martial art, but I'm not sure how to fit it in with my running.

Maybe I could take an evening class over the summer and just run in the mornings?

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

bjlong

• Bay Watcher
  • [INVISIBLE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 02, 2009, 09:22:52 am »

If you get a good teacher, he'll probably have you do conditioning. Unless you run in races, I'd say that that's enough for that day. Go to a few classes and see how you feel afterwards.

Looking at my funds for the upcoming semester, I'm going to have to take out some student loans--I don't know about taking a martial art. Maybe I can take a boxing class in the university. There's also Karate, but I don't know how I feel about that martial art. Any opinions?
I hesitate to click the last spoiler tag because I expect there to be Elder Gods in it or something.

Muz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 02, 2009, 09:43:24 am »

Well, an untrained, 6'6", 100 kg man can deal about 10 kg of force in a punch. A trained 5'4", 50 kg man could deal around 30-40 kg of force

So you're saying that I could do some serious damage, eh? I've been considering a martial art, but I'm not sure how to fit it in with my running.

Actually, it's a lot faster to learn it directly. Most of the martial arts sort of put it at somewhere past the mastery/black belt stage. By the time you reach that level, you'd probably have figured it yourself. The commoner ones like Krav Maga probably teach it at the start.

Using your weight in a punch isn't that hard. It's a bit hard to say, but well, loosen your knees a bit, so that your body drops. Then try to catch yourself, the force should somehow ricochet off your feet, up your body. Redirect that force wherever you want to dish out the damage.

I think there's a concept of chi or something, where you're supposed to imagine the joints in your body like a hose. You have to keep your body quite loose to get it right, something like a whip. It seems to go against some arts that make your body tense up, but I know some Tae Kwon Do guys do it well.

If you play basketball, the concept of using your lower body to attack is easier to grasp. Try to do a palm strike first, that's the easiest. But don't jump; you're trying to redirect that force through your arm. You should sort of spasm, it feels a bit like a sneeze.

Force = mass*acceleration. You're using your mass to turn it into force, and then bouncing that force back up to get some major acceleration. Be warned that it doesn't look cool, but try it on the next test of strength and you'll see how powerful it is :P
Disclaimer: Any sarcasm in my posts will not be mentioned as that would ruin the purpose. It is assumed that the reader is intelligent enough to tell the difference between what is sarcasm and what is not.

Yanlin

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary comedian.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 02, 2009, 09:59:42 am »

Don't forget momentum and inertia. Don't stop the punch because you hit the guy.

KEEP PUNCHING! Try to punch the air behind him! THROUGH HIM!
WE NEED A SLOGAN!

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 02, 2009, 10:48:23 am »

I glue broken glass to the ends of traffic cones and then glue the traffic cones to my hands.  It makes my punches much more effective.

EDIT:  Ice cream cones work too, if your hands are small enough.
Shoes...

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 02, 2009, 01:18:30 pm »

If you are really into self defense, you should practice kempo/sambo/krav-maga. These "martial arts" are excellent.

We just came off of a huge discussion about how I was wary of Krav Maga and would have to see a good teacher to get behind it at all. You can find it in the shooting a guy thread. That said, do you know of any teachers I could contact? Perhaps they could answer some questions and put me in touch with a good teacher in my area.

As for Kempo and Sambo, I'm lost. Could you sum up the styles? (ie: savate is a very energetic, more practical version of kickboxing performed at a further distance.)

Kempo:
Kempo is the descriptive name of various Japanese martial arts with Chinese origins, and also of hybrid martial arts: the Japanese ones and the Chinese ones. Kempo is similar to karate and includes more punches and kicks than holds or joint locks of wrestling.

Sambo:
Sport Sambo  is stylistically similar to amateur wrestling or judo. The competition is similar to judo, but with some differences in rules, protocol, and uniform. For example, in contrast with judo, Sambo allows all types of leg locks, while not allowing chokeholds and focuses on throwing, ground work and submissions.

Self-defense Sambo, which is similar to aikijutsu, jujutsu or aikido and is based on self-defense application, such as defending against attacks by both
armed and unarmed attackers. Many practitioners consider Self-Defense Sambo as part of Combat Sambo and not a system unto itself.

Combat Sambo: Utilized and developed for the military, Combat Sambo includes practice with weapons, including disarming techniques. Competition in Combat Sambo resembles older forms of judo and modern mixed martial arts, including extensive forms of striking and grappling. The first FIAS World Sambo Championships were held in 2001.

Special Sambo - developed for Army Special Forces and Rapid Reaction Police (Militsija) teams and other law enforcement formations. The Special Sambo style differs from team to team due to different tasks and aims; however, the base of any special system developed in that field is of course Sambo. The term "Special Sambo" is a relatively new term which refers to specialized versions of combat Sambo.

Freestyle Sambo - uniquely American set of competitive Sambo rules created by the American Sambo Association (ASA) in 2004. These rules differ from traditional Sport Sambo in that they allow choke holds and other submissions from Combat Sambo that are not permitted in Sport Sambo. Freestyle Sambo, like all Sambo, focuses on throwing skills and fast ground work. No strikes are permitted in Freestyle Sambo. The ASA created this rule set in order to encourage non-Sambo practitioners from judo and jujitsu to participate in Sambo events.

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 02, 2009, 02:25:04 pm »

I took Aikido right up until I needed to get a kidney out.  Kinda took me out of commission for a bit.  Around that time though, I was deciding I wanted to take a more aggressive form, kickboxing or something, but didn't know what to really go for.  In any case, Aikido really sucks for stress relief when you just want to learn how to beat the crap out of something.  (Good for learning to fall REALLY well though.)

At this point though I'm a little worried because of the surgery.  If I get hit on the right, where my kidney got taken out, I'll probably be floored for a couple days.  If I get hit hard on the left, I could have no kidneys left, and that would be bad.

So, this sounds kind of stupid, but are there any good aggressive stress-relief forms that you can learn -without- taking many hits in the training process?  Especially without taking any hits to the waist or the back?

Hey, at least I'm honest.  I want to learn how to dish it out, and I don't want to have to take it, even in training.  Mostly I want something where I can use what I've learned on a punching bag, but boxing seems...well...limited.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2009, 02:26:37 pm by Sowelu »
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

bjlong

• Bay Watcher
  • [INVISIBLE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 02, 2009, 02:45:26 pm »

Consult a doctor! You could be perfectly fine for full-contact.

I'd say that boxing can be used very effectively against a lot of styles, but that's just my two cents.

Kata would work for you, though you won't be nearly as good as someone who learns to defend. Maybe the aerobic kickboxing stuff might work, but that doesn't have any martial focus at all.

The problem with this is that you want something where you and the other guy are working hard to hit each other if you want something with a martial focus. I'd seriously recommend asking your doctor.

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 02, 2009, 05:30:58 pm »

I'm also insurance-less for a while yet.  No insurance company will take me (I've shopped around a lot) and temp agencies in Oregon suck pretty hard when it comes to insurance through work, but I might end up having some in three months or so.  Maybe I should stay away from martial arts until I'm insured again regardless!  Sorry, don't want to derail the thread...

I should look into aerobic kickboxing.  That might actually be what I'm after, I'm not entirely interested in realistic martial applications.  I've already got a good technique from Aikido to defend myself, after all.  My sensei calls it the "running away kata".  Once I know for sure that I'm good for full-contact, I might have a go at something more martial.
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 02, 2009, 11:52:21 pm »

If you get a good teacher, he'll probably have you do conditioning. Unless you run in races, I'd say that that's enough for that day. Go to a few classes and see how you feel afterwards.

I run track and cross-country, so races are a yes.

You're saying that my martial arts class would then only consist of conditioning?

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG
Pages: 1 [2] 3