Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: New Weapons Based on Skill  (Read 4157 times)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: New Weapons Based on Skill
« Reply #30 on: June 13, 2009, 10:28:23 pm »

Somebody very knowledgeable about fighting with axes, might sit down to make a better battleaxe, while inventers who were less knowledgeable about actually fighting, might indeed base weapon designs on farming tools

You kinda have it in reverse to my thoughts.

SirHoneyBadger

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware those who would keep knowledge from you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 14, 2009, 12:05:15 am »

Neonivek: Well, they might also base weapon designs on farming tools when they're looking to equip a bunch of farmers, if that's what you mean?

Blargityblarg: What you seem to be talking about is giving the same kind of bonuses we already have in the game, for quality levels, and just calling those levels by weapon names. What I'm talking about are weapons that actually perform noticeably differently. Not minor differences, but differences of type.
For they would be your masters.

Blargityblarg

• Bay Watcher
  • rolypolyrolypolyrolypoly
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 18, 2009, 05:38:28 am »

I realise differences of type, but differences of type at the scale of Dwarf Fortress can't be outlined: there might be a particular flourish you can do with, say, a sickle, to eviscerate an opponent more spectacularly than usual, but it'd be much easier to just add to its CRIT_BOOST. I agree strongly that we need more weapon parameters, but making individual types with a particular little trick will likely be finicky and cumbersome.
Blossom of orange
Shit, nothing rhymes with orange
Wait, haikus don't rhyme

SirHoneyBadger

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware those who would keep knowledge from you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 18, 2009, 06:23:32 pm »

Not really. You just rename them, which adds a decent amount of flavor, while at the same time not requiring a great deal of/unbalancing change.

Also, for those who are opposed to this being about "inventing" new items, it's not. Any of the so-called "new" weapon types might have already shown up in the world, hundreds of times (and might show up in the hands of hundreds of goblins). The caravan might even bring weapons that you can't forge (that'd make getting caravans from the Mountainhome more interesting, since they'd be most likely to have more exotic weapons that are actually useful to dwarfs.).

The idea is that certain weapons take more skill to make, not that at a certain level of skill you can suddenly reinvent the wheel.

So, no, it's not a technological leap at all, just a matter of having-in other words-enough knowledge/infrastructure to make more sophisticated items.
For they would be your masters.
Pages: 1 2 [3]