Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: New Civ Modding Questions  (Read 852 times)

Johnny Chthonic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
New Civ Modding Questions
« on: June 01, 2009, 03:52:31 am »

I'm working on a couple of alternative civs, and I'm trying to do a couple of (I think) pretty unique things with them. One of them primarily uses glass for weapons and armor, and are designed to be experts at glassworking. I've got a couple of questions regarding some changes I want to make.

Is it possible to change something in the raws to keep the creation and working of glass from costing fuel?

I can't find any mention of glass in the raws, but I wanted to add a new type of glass and give it special attributes. Is this possible?

Can I have certain weapons only be made from glass, or better yet from certain types of glass? More generally, can I (and if so how do I) change what materials can be used to make what items.

I wanted to make a knuckles weapon that uses wrestling as its skill - is it possible to call wrestler in the item_weapon file instead of spearman or somesuch?

I'll update with more questions as I come up with them. Thanks guys.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
Re: New Civ Modding Questions
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2009, 09:09:34 am »

Answers
1. It is not possible to change glass as it is hardcoded right now.

2. You could create a stone, metal, or gem and name it ____ glass without giving it an environment, but it still wouldn't be glass.

3. You can set it so that they can't be used by any entities and then create a smelter reaction for them. This is currently the only way to limit what material a weapon is made out of.

4. You want to change the [SKILL:xx] tag to UNARMED, but you will have to do the ranged weapon hack on the weapon to be able to equip it in fortress mode. Also, I am not currently sure if skilled wrestlers will wrestle when they attack or use the weapon, so use at your own risk.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Johnny Chthonic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2009, 05:31:38 pm »

Thanks for the help. Too bad about the glass, then. Can someone explain how to create smelter reactions to limit material use a little more? I'm not sure I understand.

For example, I want to create a type of tree that yields a certain type of wood. I want this wood to be the only type that can be used to make certain weapons. How could I do this?

varkarrus

• Bay Watcher
  • Insanity and a knife go well together.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2009, 05:41:59 pm »

Create a new metal, and make a smelter reaction that turns that wood into that metal. Give the metal a wood name and color.
Dip Stick! The newest candy! Just dip it, then lick it!
Or try FUBAR! The best chocolate bar ever!
And you can't eat them, either, sadly. Even though it'd make sieges so much more fun; dwarves lining the walls, drooling and carrying sharp knives and forks, ready for the upcoming meals.

Johnny Chthonic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2009, 05:44:39 pm »

That's very clever. I think it's funny that, much like while playing the game itself, accomplishing seemingly simple things while modding becomes incredibly complicated.

edit: Is it possible to restrict reactions or materials to certain entities?

Blakmane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2009, 06:08:56 pm »

That's very clever. I think it's funny that, much like while playing the game itself, accomplishing seemingly simple things while modding becomes incredibly complicated.

edit: Is it possible to restrict reactions or materials to certain entities?

Keep in mind that wood will always have a value of 3, and you cannot make it rare other than by putting it in rare biomes. I tried doing something similar with the wood and ended up just generalising it to all wood, as it just encouraged people to stock up at the embark screen/traders screen, or embarking in the relevant biome and harvesting huge amounts of wood.

Anyways, your question:

Reactions are never used by any entity. They are only relevant to the fortress currently being played, and they will be accessable to the current fortress regardless of race (unless you remove furnace operator from list of jobs). Entities will never use items made from smelter reactions in worldgen/embark.

Some materials can be restricted if you are sneaky with them. Metals more powerful than iron can be restricted by using the [METAL_PREF] tag (which starts the with race the most powerful non-deep metal IE steel atm). Metals can also be restricted from everyone by giving them the [DEEP] tag, which case they can only be produced on-site. [MINOR_METAL] restricts a race to only copper metal items, but i've heard there are some ways to exploit that.

Animals can be restricted with: [USE_EVIL_ANIMALS], [USE_GOOD_ANIMALS], [COMMON_DOMESTIC] or [USE_ANY_PET_RACE]

Items can be restricted as per the entity entries.

Most other things are only restricted by biomes. Restricting access for only one civ to certain types of stone is pretty much impossible. You could probably manage restricting trees by being sneaky with the biome crossovers, but you can still end up with civs that straddle both biomes and get the trees anyway.