Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Violence Works...And Yet...  (Read 2256 times)

Servant Corps

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Violence Works...And Yet...
« on: May 31, 2009, 08:51:48 pm »

One of the themes in LCS is that "political violence"/terrorism works in promoting an political agenda, as long as you don't alienate the site by harming moderates in the process. If the LCS bomb the Court House, people learn to pay attention to Protecting Free Speech. If the CCS then bomb the same Court House, people learn to pay attention to Stopping Hate Speech.

Yet I just realized that right now in the game, certain "political violence" always backfire badly. Take for example, the current Random Event about a terrorist killing an abortion doctor. That newspaper article makes Women's Rights views more positive. However, that doesn't quite make sense. The murder of a Liberal by a Conservative should, by gameplay logic, lead to society to go more Conservative, not more Liberal. I suppose there are two arguments:
1) The terrorist somehow alienated the site during the process (even though all he did was killed the Doctor and then gave up), and the act was so terrible and so horrible that people were swayed to scream for revenge against those who killed the abortion doctor, and society turns more Liberal. Still, I don't like to assume that, because if the LCS murder 15 Conservatives, that's 15 families terribly harmed...but of course, society turns more Liberal.
2) It's easy for the average person to understand that the murder of an Abortion Clinic Doctor leads to society turning more Liberal rather tahn Conservative. If the average person see a newspaper story about a person killing an abortion doctor, he would believe that the reaction against the murder would turn society more Liberal. If it is changed so that the murder of an abortion doctor turns society more Conservative...it would be much harder for the average person to realize that the murder of an abortion doctor is a bad thing rather than a good random event that they should be proud of.

Also, currently, there was a proposal a while back of a huge terrorist seige causing Political Violence Tolerance to go negative, as a reaction against the seige. The problem is, according to game mecahnics, alienating the site and causing mass murder and mayhem leads to Political Violence Tolerance to increase, not decrease. Again, it is easier for the average person to understand that a terrorist seige lead for political violence tolerance to decrease rather than increase, but, well...

Chalk it up to Storyline/Gameplay Segeration?
I have left Bay12Games to pursue a life of non-Bay12Games. If you need to talk to me, please email at me at igorhorst at gmail dot com.

LiteralKa

• Bay Watcher
  • LCS Developer
    • View Profile
    • My Website!
Re: Violence Works...And Yet...
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2009, 08:54:45 pm »

One of the themes in LCS is that "political violence"/terrorism works in promoting an political agenda, as long as you don't alienate the site by harming moderates in the process. If the LCS bomb the Court House, people learn to pay attention to Protecting Free Speech. If the CCS then bomb the same Court House, people learn to pay attention to Stopping Hate Speech.

Yet I just realized that right now in the game, certain "political violence" always backfire badly. Take for example, the current Random Event about a terrorist killing an abortion doctor. That newspaper article makes Women's Rights views more positive. However, that doesn't quite make sense. The murder of a Liberal by a Conservative should, by gameplay logic, lead to society to go more Conservative, not more Liberal. I suppose there are two arguments:
1) The terrorist somehow alienated the site during the process (even though all he did was killed the Doctor and then gave up), and the act was so terrible and so horrible that people were swayed to scream for revenge against those who killed the abortion doctor, and society turns more Liberal. Still, I don't like to assume that, because if the LCS murder 15 Conservatives, that's 15 families terribly harmed...but of course, society turns more Liberal.
2) It's easy for the average person to understand that the murder of an Abortion Clinic Doctor leads to society turning more Liberal rather tahn Conservative. If the average person see a newspaper story about a person killing an abortion doctor, he would believe that the reaction against the murder would turn society more Liberal. If it is changed so that the murder of an abortion doctor turns society more Conservative...it would be much harder for the average person to realize that the murder of an abortion doctor is a bad thing rather than a good random event that they should be proud of.

Also, currently, there was a proposal a while back of a huge terrorist seige causing Political Violence Tolerance to go negative, as a reaction against the seige. The problem is, according to game mecahnics, alienating the site and causing mass murder and mayhem leads to Political Violence Tolerance to increase, not decrease. Again, it is easier for the average person to understand that a terrorist seige lead for political violence tolerance to decrease rather than increase, but, well...

Chalk it up to Storyline/Gameplay Segeration?
Well, at the moment, I'm improving the abortion major event story.

http://www.cnn.com/2009/CRIME/05/31/kansas.doctor.killed/index.html is the story, for those who don't know.
LCS developer, insomniac, writer.

Ampersand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2009, 08:46:48 am »

Meditating on all of this, I have come to a bit of a eureka moment. Violence against liberals should be more effective in C and C+ society, while violence BY liberals should be more effective in L and L+ society, while it can go either way in a M society.

It's a matter of confirmation bias, i think. An act that confirms they prejudices o f the population is more likely to be viewed as a bad thing, than one that challenges the public perception of how a given group behaves.

An abortion doctor killed in, lets say Iran, is going to be viewed very differently from one killed in the USA, for example. Sure, the movement liberals might take it up as a rallying cry, but the majority of people, due to how the media filters the information, is going to take the prevailing viewpoint.
!!&!!

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2009, 11:58:57 am »

"that doesn't quite make sense"

Liberal Crime Squad was supposed to be a sort of world where sex and violence can solve everything.

LiteralKa

• Bay Watcher
  • LCS Developer
    • View Profile
    • My Website!
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2009, 12:01:18 pm »

Liberal Crime Squad was supposed to be a sort of world where sex and violence can solve everything.
Yes, a satirical portrayal of the US.

Yanlin

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary comedian.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2009, 12:39:18 pm »

You mean sex and violence doesn't solve everything?
WE NEED A SLOGAN!

LiteralKa

• Bay Watcher
  • LCS Developer
    • View Profile
    • My Website!
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2009, 12:40:20 pm »

You mean sex and violence doesn't solve everything?
It worked for Clinton.

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2009, 02:28:17 pm »

Yet I just realized that right now in the game, certain "political violence" always backfire badly. Take for example, the current Random Event about a terrorist killing an abortion doctor. That newspaper article makes Women's Rights views more positive. However, that doesn't quite make sense. The murder of a Liberal by a Conservative should, by gameplay logic, lead to society to go more Conservative, not more Liberal.

On a serious note: this.

There is no reason to think that this particular act of political violence will not have its desired effect. In the short term, it may inflame public opinion negatively (i.e., provoke "rampage" newspaper articles due to a low tolerance for political violence), but after a news cycle or two, the public will have its attention pulled to the latest shark attack on a missing white woman. The only people who will remember this are the CCS, the bleeding-heart liberals who didn't need convinced, and the workers at abortion clinics, who were the primary intended target of this act's "message". Even if the act does not provoke laws in favor of its viewpoint, it can effectively circumvent this by intimidating the public (or in this case, the medical community) to obeying the unwritten CCS strictures. One major theme in LCS is that the exact nature of the legislative process is blurred; we don't worry about how unconstitutional legal shifts can occur strictly through, say, public referendum. We assume that the laws stand because that's what society is comfortable enforcing. While what I describe here is not precisely the same phenomena, it's very much related.

Ciarog

• Bay Watcher
  • Monkey Wrench Gangster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2009, 12:59:33 am »

Yes, a satirical portrayal of the US.
Reminds me of some real-life American client states, what with slave workers in sweatshops, death squads and torch-and-pitchfork-toting mobs rising up in defense of their favourite radio shows.

Megaman

• Bay Watcher
  • What is love?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2009, 08:32:56 pm »

I thoughtconservitives rednecks were primarily in the south?
Hello Hunam

Ciarog

• Bay Watcher
  • Monkey Wrench Gangster
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2009, 12:18:02 am »

I thoughtconservitives rednecks were primarily in the south?
Yes and no. Most people who would call themselves rednecks live in the South.

But even if you ignore the diaspora of the Southern/Appalachian Working Class to the Southwest and Great Lakes region, there are millions people throughout the world who's way of life and socioeconomic condition shares alot in common with traditional Southern Rednecks.

Megaman

• Bay Watcher
  • What is love?
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2009, 11:04:48 am »

well that explains the importance of asylums, police stations, etc.. But I don't understand, how the hell do rednecks get away with toting around pitchforks and security gaurds having thier guns out in apartments?
Hello Hunam

Ciarog

• Bay Watcher
  • Monkey Wrench Gangster
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2009, 10:43:30 am »

well that explains the importance of asylums, police stations, etc.. But I don't understand, how the hell do rednecks get away with toting around pitchforks and security gaurds having thier guns out in apartments?
Don't know. I myself keep a fencing hatchet in my truck for situations where my rifle or revolver wouldn't be appropriate. Pitchforks are very poor melee weapons. Clumsy, pretty much limited to thrusting or bludgeoning, and the holes they make are too small to put a neutralize anything threatening enough to require that level of force.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2009, 08:22:43 pm by Ciarog »

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2009, 06:18:38 am »

Ah, reminds me of my first raid in this game.  Went into a random broadcasting room, got into a fight, lost a leg, kidnapped a presenter and escaped.  I had no idea what I was doing.

Megaman

• Bay Watcher
  • What is love?
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2009, 05:10:36 pm »

but still, pitchforks in an apartment? thier still pretty dmaned pointy. What about torches? I mean really, having lit torches like in an angry mob when your walking down the street :/.
Hello Hunam
Pages: [1] 2