Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: wrestling-related questions  (Read 1467 times)

assimilateur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
wrestling-related questions
« on: May 31, 2009, 05:39:33 pm »

I've rolled a couple of characters today when I first tried adventure mode. I'm trying to make head or tails out of the whole combat mechanics, and I'm wondering if you'll be able to clear some things up:

When using a weapon and shield I'm still seeing options that say I'm grabbing some body part with my shield or spear. How does this even work? I mean, don't I need free hands to like strangle someone?

In short, is there any point in stashing or throwing away weapons/shields when wrestling?

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
Re: wrestling-related questions
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2009, 06:16:32 pm »

I've rolled a couple of characters today when I first tried adventure mode. I'm trying to make head or tails out of the whole combat mechanics, and I'm wondering if you'll be able to clear some things up:

When using a weapon and shield I'm still seeing options that say I'm grabbing some body part with my shield or spear. How does this even work? I mean, don't I need free hands to like strangle someone?

In short, is there any point in stashing or throwing away weapons/shields when wrestling?

You can hold, lock, break and strangle with any part of your body including weapons and sheilds. However, in order to take/steal items (namely weapons to disarm an opponent) off enemies as well as to gouge out eyes and pinch you need a free hand.

assimilateur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2009, 03:26:45 am »

I see. Apparently I only need a free hand for the advanced stuff.

All in all, this doesn't strike me as very realistic. I mean, how the hell do you strangle a guy with a sword without cutting his throat or crushing his windpipe on the first try?

irdsm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2009, 03:51:14 am »

I see. Apparently I only need a free hand for the advanced stuff.

All in all, this doesn't strike me as very realistic. I mean, how the hell do you strangle a guy with a sword without cutting his throat or crushing his windpipe on the first try?
handle onto throat, hold down. It would work, though it would be hard to hold if the opponent isn't on the ground or held onto by more than one limb.

assimilateur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2009, 04:03:52 am »

Well, I'm able to strangle guys as it is. They are all dying of bleeding out, though, so I guess it is realistic, because instead of suffocating them, it looks as though I was cutting their throat or something.

cowofdoom78963

• Bay Watcher
  • check
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2009, 04:06:09 am »

Well, I'm able to strangle guys as it is. They are all dying of bleeding out, though, so I guess it is realistic, because instead of suffocating them, it looks as though I was cutting their throat or something.
You also do that with your hands.

assimilateur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2009, 04:09:20 am »

So there's no sure-fire way of suffocating someone? I've seen guys with damaged lungs suffocate in fortress mode, but hitting them there would require quite a lucky shot, I would guess.

Also, let me follow this up with another, unrelated question:

Where the hell do I view my guy's full name? After gaining an epithet it doesn't fit in the top line in the 'z' menu anymore, and I can't figure out where to look it up.

EDIT: I've stumbled upon an answer (namely talking to an NPC) instantly after going back to the game.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2009, 04:11:27 am by assimilateur »

cowofdoom78963

• Bay Watcher
  • check
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2009, 04:14:53 am »

So there's no sure-fire way of suffocating someone?
Well, you can suffocate people. Its just that you seem to tear their throat out before that. Suffocating seems to injure the targets throat as well as suffocate them, and usualy at a faster rate.

Yanlin

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary comedian.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2009, 07:41:27 am »

I think you can suffocate [NO_BLEED] monsters. As long as they don't have [NO_BREATH]
WE NEED A SLOGAN!

assimilateur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2009, 08:14:41 am »

I think you can suffocate [NO_BLEED] monsters. As long as they don't have [NO_BREATH]

OK, thanks. Doesn't help me against humanoids and stuff though. I figure this is all a matter of making throats bleed less when crushed. I wonder if that could be done via modding, but I'm not holding my breath either.

Regardless, I've trained my guy up to legendary +2 or +3 wrestler. I try to put away my sword and shield, but it turns out that there's no such option. Does this mean that I'd either have to drop my gear every time or go unarmed if I wanted to wrestle with empty hands, or are there bags that will accommodate melee weapons and shields?

Yanlin

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary comedian.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2009, 09:54:16 am »

I think you can 'r'emove the gear.
WE NEED A SLOGAN!

assimilateur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2009, 10:23:06 am »

Doesn't work for me. I'm pressing 'r' but neither sword nor shield show up.

I guess it's not that much of a hassle to 'd'rop my sword when I wanna do some eye-gouging or stripping, since I only do that for fun anyway. Still, it would be nice for something like scabbards for your sword to be included. And maybe a way to sling your shield on your back as well.

Evil One

• Bay Watcher
  • [Champion Elfslayer]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2009, 10:26:47 am »

Try instead to [p]ut your sword and shield into your pack then you'll be unarmed, remember though that anything you pick up will then be auto-equipped.
Dwarf!  Indeed, a devious delight fond of drink and industry deceived as both do-gooder and devil by the delusions of deities.  This demander, no daft demeanor, is a driving force of the deadly diocese, now disappointed, delirious from goblin deception.  However, this delicious derangement of a demolished diamond stands determined!

assimilateur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2009, 11:01:15 am »

Try instead to [p]ut your sword and shield into your pack then you'll be unarmed, remember though that anything you pick up will then be auto-equipped.

Didn't work either, said I didn't have a proper container. So far, the only possibility I see of accomplishing what I wanted is dropping shield and sword, then picking up something to temporarily hold in both my hands and picking up my dropped gear so it goes straight to the backpack. Not very intuitive, and I can't understand why 'p' doesn't work, but that's what it looks like.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2009, 12:06:53 pm »

I've never been able to put them in there either. Regaurdless, if you want them to just suffocate, you have to strangle them, but not long enough to cause heavy bleeding. And suffocation is a slow process, so they may just keep passing out around you, but they will eventually suffocate.
Pages: [1] 2