Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: How I'd like personal weaponry to be handled  (Read 820 times)

Erk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
How I'd like personal weaponry to be handled
« on: May 31, 2009, 10:00:47 am »

Second in my "I returned to DF after a year of absence and have more clarity about it" thread.

I really like the idea that's bandied around for a while of having personal weapons that dwarves can carry. Haven't seen yet if Toady plans to adopt it, but I thought I'd throw out my opinion for how it should work.

I think every weapon class should have a "lesser" personal version. It uses the same skill as the larger weapon, but is very markedly less efficient, doing around 50% damage compared to the full version; it is also much less heavy, so less encumbering for working dwarves. Here's how I see it.

Shortsword --> Dirk, or maybe Ceremonial Sword
Battleaxe --> Hatchet (I think this should be the woodcutter tool, rather than using a  combat axe?)
Warhammer --> Forgehammer (be nice if smiths automatically equipped this one, and maybe even had to have one to do their job...)
Mace --> Cudgel

The only one I'd not add is crossbow. Too many other things to carry for that; it doesn't seem right for a civilian to be wandering around with a quiver full of bolts, but having a belt hatchet or a forge hammer doesn't seem odd for a dwarf.

With spear, I'd actually change the dwarven spear weapon to a War Pick. It's far more dwarven, and it does the same kind of damage; it could be exactly the same in stats. Then the mining pick would be the civilian version of the weapon, and we'd replace the second-least-dwarfy weapon (mace is the least IMO) with something probably more dwarfy than anything else in the list. Win/win!

To this I'd add the qualification: a dwarf cannot equip these civilian weapons unless 1) he/she has the right job equipped for it (woodcutter, smith, miner) or 2) he/she has trained up to <nameless> weapondwarf level. At Professional weapondwarf level, the dwarf is allowed to wander around carrying the full military version of the weapon during general function.

I'd also not mind seeing a similar thing done with armour: I was picturing Decorative Chainmail and Ornamental Plate, offering only tiny amounts of protection (like, 25% normal?). No greaves, boots, gauntlets, or helmets would be available, only main body protection. These would require Proficient Armour User, but many nobles would use them without meeting that qualification (and could not be stopped from doing so). Having the hammerer run around in Ornamental Plate Mail seems so appropriate. Even more fun if these could be made of abnormal materials like gold or electrum.
'River' cancels eat: Food is problematic.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: How I'd like personal weaponry to be handled
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2009, 11:01:27 am »

Personal weapons would definitely be nice. This could also be tied into a dwarf's individual preferences along with the economy.

If a dwarf likes, say, short swords, and there is one available and they have enough dwarfbucks to buy one, the dwarf will buy the sword and equip it and then wander around the fortress with it in his inventory rather than try to store it in his room. Should he be attacked, the dwarf will use the sword for personal defense.

Of course he won't be able to use it very effectively because he spends all day long farming or weaving, but its better than bare fists.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2009, 11:09:20 am »

I don't really see the point of imposing a limit of one personal weapon per weapon skill.  What's the advantage of ruling out multiple types of utility hammer or utility knife.?

Erk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2009, 01:27:32 pm »

The only limit would be the RAWs. There's nothing stopping you from making a Thrusting Sword that uses the sworddwarf skill either, but there's no reason to have multiple personal weapons by default, I'd say. As long as it was just determined by a [Civilian_equippable] tag, as it should be, there are no limits in customised games.

Mikademus

• Bay Watcher
  • Pirate ninja dwarves for great justice
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2009, 02:29:57 pm »

On top of the other things said, a "forge hammer" as you call it is not a smaller warhammer, and using them takes vastly different skills. A warhammer usually has a beak to penetrate armour, and a hammer used for forging can be very light or very heavy. Nitpicking, yeah I know...

Warhammer
V
You are a pirate!

Quote from: Silverionmox
Quote from: bjlong
If I wanted to recreate the world of one of my favorite stories, I should be able to specify that there is a civilization called Groan, ruled by Earls from a castle called Gormanghast.
You won't have trouble supplying the Countess with cats, or producing the annual idols to be offerred to the castle. Every fortress is a pale reflection of Ghormenghast..

Erk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2009, 02:49:18 pm »

On top of the other things said, a "forge hammer" as you call it is not a smaller warhammer, and using them takes vastly different skills. A warhammer usually has a beak to penetrate armour, and a hammer used for forging can be very light or very heavy. Nitpicking, yeah I know...
Assuming dwarven weaponry is medieval Earth human weaponry. I've never seen a basic crossbow that could fire that fast... nor is your earthly warhammer likely to send a goblin flying seven squares, no matter how legendary the wielder.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2009, 02:51:11 pm by Erk »

eerr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2009, 04:17:59 pm »

Assuming dwarven weaponry is medieval Earth human weaponry. I've never seen a basic crossbow that could fire that fast... nor is your earthly warhammer likely to send a goblin flying seven squares, no matter how legendary the wielder.

When lore and history fail Dwarf fort, the Toady one will make it from scratch!