Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Looking For Games. (Even though I already have too much.)  (Read 1344 times)

Jack_Bread

• Bay Watcher
  • 100% FRESH ♥HIPPO♥
    • View Profile
Looking For Games. (Even though I already have too much.)
« on: May 31, 2009, 05:50:41 am »

I have been bored for a while now and I need something to play.
Solve my problem, internet people(and tie my shoe)!

I've over-played Elona, Dungeon Crawl, Spelunky, La-Mulana, Dwarf Fortress, N, Jacob's Ladder, and Powder. I've tried Prospect, the bands (Angband, Steamband, etc. etc.), NetHack, and Fatherhood but couldn't understand them. WURM won't load. I'm laying off of Haven and Hearth. My graphics card is too crappy for Infiniminer and most other 3D games. Stranded 2 got boring quick. I don't really feel like playing Iji, Warning Forever, Within A Deep Forest, Treasure Hunter Man, I Want To Be The Guy, Incursion, and a bunch of other games I have. I can't find an ADoM download that isn't a Mac version or a .app file. MUDs are too boring, as are most of my emulators. I'm already playing Progress Quest.

Any thoughts?

EDIT: I'm not really picky about the genre. Though, I hate racing and sport games. Also, I can't really buy anything. Though, I am saving up for Cortex Command.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2009, 05:56:09 am by Jack_Bread »

Mohreb el Yasim

• Bay Watcher
  • ♫♪♫♫♪♫♪♪♫♪
    • View Profile
Re: Looking For Games. (Even though I already have too much.)
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2009, 06:33:06 am »

it is summer, go outside a bit ;)
Mohreb el Yasim

GENERATION 24:The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experime

Jack_Bread

• Bay Watcher
  • 100% FRESH ♥HIPPO♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2009, 06:44:20 am »

it is summer, go outside a bit ;)
No.
I'm socially awkward forever and the Sun is my bane. :(

Virtz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2009, 06:49:51 am »

Darklands - freeform cRPG in medieval-fantasy Germany, complex character creation system, RTwP combat, prayer-based magic, powerful alchemy, many stat-checks and stat-specific actions, main storyline initially not known.

Daggerfall - second cRPG in the TES series, solo, first-person, non-linear, semi-complex character creation system, RT combat, many guilds to join, gigantic semi-randomly generated world, multiple endings.

Ultima 6 and 7 - possibly best parts of this freeform cRPG series, with much explorability, many unique characters, TB/RT combat (tactical TB in 6, RT in 7), high interactivity, reagent-based magic system.

Fallout 1 and 2 - non-linear cRPGs in post-apocalyptic, alternate-history USA, semi-solo (little control over characters in party), semi-tactical TB combat, high focus on dialogue and stat-checks in it, dark humour, choices and consequences, ending describing what influence your character had on the settlements he/she visited.

Realms of Arkania series - non-linear, party-based cRPGs, difficult, tactical TB combat, featuring supply requirements, diseases and such.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2009, 07:08:05 am »

In the Metroidvania genre, An Untitled Story. Somewhat similar to Cave Story, but much less story from the get-go.

Despite emulators being "boring", I can still recommend to try a few games you might have overlooked.

On the NES - Over Horizon. The best scrolling shooter on the platform.

On the Genesis - Herzog Zwei. Tied for "First RTS" (with Dune:The Battle For Arrakis) for the platform. Very interesting, and unique.
Also for Genesis - Immortal. A case of "Guide Dang It", you're unlikely to complete the game without a walkthrough. You can sure as hell try though, it's quite good.

Other than that...  Master of Magic? Toribash? NERO? I don't have too many free games here.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2009, 07:09:50 am »

Battle for Wesnoth - it's a great TBS, and it's free. Plus, there's a large multiplayer community.
Urist, President has immigrated to your fortress!
Urist, President mandates the Dwarven Bill of Rights.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2009, 07:20:09 am »

Check out the Spiderweb games: http://www.spidweb.com/
They have some excellent & oldschool RPGs.

TheToeBighter98

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2009, 07:54:06 am »

Have you tried some good old flash games? Why not try 'Don't Look Back' and 'Today I Die', they may be short but the experience is worth it. Could also suggest YouTube if your wanting to waste time.

Floirt

• Bay Watcher
  • OMIGODJCABOMB!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2009, 12:42:51 pm »

I'm going to go with Sean Mirrsen and recommend you emulators. The SNES has a quite big number of good games that take a while to finish off for good. Chrono Trigger, Secret of Mana, Seiken Densetsu, Castlevania, The Megaman X series, Super Mario World, Yoshi Island, Front Mission, Street Fighter, F-ZERO, Punch-Out, you name it.

Also, hasn't FarCry 1 gone freeware? You might want to look into that.

You could also spend your time on BYOND games, such as Space Station 13, who has eaten up quite a good number of my week-ends.
Quote from: HellMOO
Fat Ratzo [to Floirt]: I got a package here goin' to Roy Poorman, out in the afterworld.  $120 when you make the delivery.  And hurry!
No, not commiting suicide, sorry.   ...Through that money is rather tempting...

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2009, 03:10:03 pm »

I can't personally condone emulators, but if you have a patching device, a copy of Live a Live is an excellent choice. http://agtp.romhack.net/ just redid their original translation of it, and it is impeccable. 6+ scenario's, unique real time grid based combat system, and every scenario plays differently, not just differences in tactics, but actual game play.

Also, if you can find a copy of it, Ogre Battle: March of the Black Queen offers some incredible pseduoRTS game play, with 13 different endings depending on how good or evil you are. Decimate the enemy with devils and liches, or annihilate them with angels and princesses. Your choice.
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.

magellan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2009, 03:34:47 pm »

I can't find an ADoM download that isn't a Mac version or a .app file.

Erm... huh?
you did try adom.de? http://www.adom.de/adom/download.php3 to be exact?
Prospector, my space exploration roguelike:
http://code.google.com/p/rlprospector/