Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Greenstone  (Read 1395 times)

Craftling

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Greenstone
« on: May 31, 2009, 01:03:13 am »

Can be used to make weapons, jewellery and the like. Just like obsidian except prettier.

For more information go here http://www.teara.govt.nz/EarthSeaAndSky/MineralResources/PounamuJadeOrGreenstone/1/en

Derakon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Greenstone
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2009, 01:11:22 am »

Jade and serpentine are both already in the game.
Jetblade - an open-source Metroid/Castlevania game with procedurally-generated levels

Hoborobo234

• Bay Watcher
  • For the revolution!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2009, 01:57:11 pm »

and olivine
Rather than having them directly force you to mine adamantine, I would suggest that they give you strange moods that require adamantine. "Dig out the adamantine or Urist here goes insane and dies" is suitably vicious.

(It occurs to me that you can probably get "Lovecraft" as the random name of your fortress. That's when you know you're screwed.)

Athisus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2009, 03:26:41 pm »

Jade weaponry isn't in the game, some civilizations used to make tools out of jade.

Craftling

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2009, 07:37:49 pm »

Jade weaponry isn't in the game, some civilizations used to make tools out of jade.
Exactly what im getting at. Greenstone would be a material that could be used in the craftdwarves workshop for weapons and crafts and at the jewellers workshop.

Derakon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2009, 07:52:10 pm »

From the page you linked, "Greenstone" is jade and/or serpentine. So if you want greenstone jewelry, find jade deposits; if you want greenstone weapons, add SHARP to the flags for serpentine.
Jetblade - an open-source Metroid/Castlevania game with procedurally-generated levels

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2009, 08:48:28 pm »

Note that [SHARP] does not work on jems.  Which is a shame, because it would be perfect for this.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

Craftling

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2009, 08:53:07 pm »

Greenstone would add complexity to the world of jade.
Its just a new material that is that can be used for more things than your average jade. It would be just like liking jasper or pink garnet except more functional.
Urist mcpeasant admired a greenstone knife lately. He admired a greenstone earring.

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2009, 08:55:01 pm »

Only it would be "jade knife," not "greenstone knife."  The latter wouldn't be very specific.  The different greenstones have different values (hence why they have different entries in DF).
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

SirHoneyBadger

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware those who would keep knowledge from you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2009, 03:25:21 am »

I think it would be great to mod it in, and I really don't see any reason that it couldn't be modded as a "metal".
For they would be your masters.

numeral

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2009, 01:05:18 pm »

flint is probably more common as a weapon source, flint arrow heads, knives etc etc etc
toady really should add SHARP and make it possible to make arrows with flint :P

SirHoneyBadger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2009, 02:07:37 pm »

They used to make wood axes out of jade, and then use them to chop down trees. So it's pretty tough stuff.

Flint's more common, yes, but you can't make very large blades with it.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2009, 02:17:36 pm »

I've always found the lack of flint/obsidian arrowheads annoying.  That's like, what's those minerals are BEST at.  The macuahuitl is a historical oddity in comparison.

SirHoneyBadger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2009, 04:40:34 pm »

Yeah, my dad has a large collection of flint and quartz arrow and spearheads. Some of them are really intricate, and still pretty sharp even after hundreds to thousands of years.

Pilsu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2009, 10:20:10 am »

Has to be a pretty detailed system, otherwise an obsidian tipped wooden spear will be every bit as effective and durable as a solid steel one and rock tools don't lower the quality of handiwork appropriately. That and you'd be able to make arrows out of nothing but rock, they really should have a wooden shaft. Also, much slower firing rate and higher accuracy to ease the logistics to a more realistic level
Pages: [1] 2