Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Weapon Modding Question  (Read 1204 times)

Johnny Chthonic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Weapon Modding Question
« on: May 30, 2009, 08:52:31 pm »

It bothers me that maces and hammers are, for all intents and purposes, the same. I wanted to see if I could mod hammers to deal less damage and have a higher chance of flinging enemies around. Does that use the weight property or what?

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
Re: Weapon Modding Question
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2009, 09:15:57 pm »

Changing the damage is simply a matter of altering the DAMAGE value in the raws.

As for flingchance... I think I've seen axes knock goblins around, but not swords too often, so I THINK the weight might affect that. Not entirely sure.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2009, 09:24:25 pm »

I've seen swords knock people around.  I think it's the weight, but low weight doesn't make flinging impossible.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

Johnny Chthonic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2009, 09:27:43 pm »

Hmm. I think I'll need to test this, then. I figure I'll make an incredibly heavy hammer and a really light one, take both adventuring, see how it goes and then report back.

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2009, 09:29:57 pm »

Make sure you play as something with [DAMBLOCK:5000].  It'll make it easier.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

Johnny Chthonic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2009, 09:37:18 pm »

Good idea. I've created two separate weapons - one with 10 damage and 400 weight, one with 10 damage and 40 weight. I'm going to take my damblock 1000 dwarf adventurer out and see if he sends wolves flying more easily with the heavy one.

Barring that, is there any way I could edit these in the raws to make flinging easier?

Johnny Chthonic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2009, 09:48:48 pm »

Okay, I just bashed a bunch of wolves with a weight 400 mace and not a single one went flying. Any other ideas?

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2009, 10:02:04 pm »

Aside from damage, nope.  I think the next version will handle that differently, though, so it's really a matter of waiting.
Just so I remember

Impaler[WrG]

• Bay Watcher
  • Khazad Project Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2009, 01:59:35 am »

Perhaps strength of the wealder is the determining factor.
Khazad the Isometric Fortress Engine
Extract forts from DF, load and save them to file and view them in full 3D

Khazad Home Thread
Khazad v0.0.5 Download

Blakmane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2009, 02:15:53 am »

There was a formula posted up a while ago looking at how far bludgeoning weapons flung enemies. I think it worked out to be a function of the damage of the weapon and the strength/skill of the wielder. You can probably still find it with the search function.

So in short: Weight has nothing to do with it.

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2009, 08:37:09 am »

Next version it will though, so good luck with the next version, Johny.
Just so I remember

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2009, 11:59:46 am »

Where did you find that the next version changes the flinging formula? I'd like to see (modding purposes),
I find it amuzing how people treat the next version as a panacea for all "wrong" things :).
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2009, 12:50:04 pm »

Well, hammer damage will be based on weight, partially. 
Spoiler: Game spoiler (click to show/hide)
  It's stuff in the new raws that Toady posted.
Just so I remember

Johnny Chthonic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2009, 03:59:20 pm »

I sort of wish that fling worked as a crit for blunt weapons, so that you could give them crit bonus and have a Sauron Mace that sends tons of guys flying everywhere.

Do weapons have any properties in exposed code other than damage, weight, how big you have to be to use them, and crit bonus? Are there other tokens, such as fire damage or something, that can be added to them?

Blakmane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2009, 05:59:50 pm »

I sort of wish that fling worked as a crit for blunt weapons, so that you could give them crit bonus and have a Sauron Mace that sends tons of guys flying everywhere.

Do weapons have any properties in exposed code other than damage, weight, how big you have to be to use them, and crit bonus? Are there other tokens, such as fire damage or something, that can be added to them?

there aren't many more, but you *can* change the damage type. there are three damage types (HEAT, BURN and COLD) not used by any weapon (but by some creatures) that can be used to approximate magical weapons.
Pages: [1] 2