Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Background Noise  (Read 1723 times)

Craftling

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Background Noise
« on: May 30, 2009, 07:35:50 pm »

Things like cows mooing, hammers clanging on anvils, dwarves drunk, digging etc. should be implemented?. It would explain why sometimes dwarves cant sleep. And it would sound good.

(I couldnt find any topics on this)

Derakon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Background Noise
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2009, 10:37:35 pm »

So you mean actual sounds that the player could hear, not sounds in the simulation? Noise from work (workshops, mining, etc.) is already tracked, but it's completely invisible to the player.
Jetblade - an open-source Metroid/Castlevania game with procedurally-generated levels

Fossaman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2009, 11:02:13 pm »

Huh...that's actually a really interesting idea. I would limit it to tasks being performed, or else players would be overwhelmed with animal noises if they let their animal populations get out of control.
Quote from: ThreeToe
This story had a slide down a chute. Everybody likes chutes.

Ampersand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2009, 02:15:24 am »

Meow34
!!&!!

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2009, 07:27:29 am »

So you mean actual sounds that the player could hear, not sounds in the simulation? Noise from work (workshops, mining, etc.) is already tracked, but it's completely invisible to the player.

Yes he meant that. I don't know...If this would get implemented, I would surely turn it off after a period...[Repetitive sounds = annoying]  ;D

Reasonableman

• Bay Watcher
  • ...Probably.
    • View Profile
    • Twitter is dead, long live Cohost
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2009, 09:13:27 am »

It would be pretty darn interesting to hear your fortress slowly grow in volume alongside wealth and size.
A sane man must be reasonable, but a reasonable man need not be sane.

Aldaris

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIBERAL] [WANNABE_DORF] [CAVE_ADAPTED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2009, 11:34:03 am »

A bit like Ceasar 3?
Me likes.
but Baron Aqizzar had the firm advantage, battering Cthulhu with his Mighty Chin.
^Totally not out of context, promise.
The Liberal Crime Squad Community game, now with a Liberal Overdose of Liberally aplied Liberalism. -Liberally. (UBER-Hiatus, next update somewhere between now and 2012.)

Hoborobo234

• Bay Watcher
  • For the revolution!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2009, 01:56:10 pm »

If animlas only made sounds when spooked or something...

Maybe if there were plenty of sounds for each animal
Rather than having them directly force you to mine adamantine, I would suggest that they give you strange moods that require adamantine. "Dig out the adamantine or Urist here goes insane and dies" is suitably vicious.

(It occurs to me that you can probably get "Lovecraft" as the random name of your fortress. That's when you know you're screwed.)

Mikademus

• Bay Watcher
  • Pirate ninja dwarves for great justice
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2009, 02:31:45 pm »

"Yes?"
"Yeeeeees?"
"What do you want?"
"Why do you keep touching me?"
You are a pirate!

Quote from: Silverionmox
Quote from: bjlong
If I wanted to recreate the world of one of my favorite stories, I should be able to specify that there is a civilization called Groan, ruled by Earls from a castle called Gormanghast.
You won't have trouble supplying the Countess with cats, or producing the annual idols to be offerred to the castle. Every fortress is a pale reflection of Ghormenghast..

chucks

• Bay Watcher
  • Have Cutlass -- Will Travel
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2009, 04:11:21 pm »

"Ouch, my feet hurt."
"Can we have some shoes?"
"Thank you for the new shoes!"
Computer says 'No'.

TheDJ17

• Bay Watcher
  • [SWAG]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2009, 04:29:56 pm »

So sort of like in Roller Coaster Tycoon how when you first start out there would be only a few birds chirpping, then a guy talking to his friend on their way to the Bumbber Cars, and eventuly a whole amusment park of sounds.
The spinning =<*Free Form Jazz*>= strikes the Poster in all the senses, ya' dig, utterly blowing the mind!
The Status Quo has been struck down!

Jonathan S. Fox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.jonathansfox.com/
« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2009, 05:25:00 pm »

:) I like this suggestion, it sounds fun.

Impaler[WrG]

• Bay Watcher
  • Khazad Project Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2009, 05:37:16 pm »

This is Indeed an excellent way to add atmosphere to a game
Khazad the Isometric Fortress Engine
Extract forts from DF, load and save them to file and view them in full 3D

Khazad Home Thread
Khazad v0.0.5 Download

Zulaf

• Bay Watcher
  • Am I learning, or do I only think I am?
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2009, 06:45:48 pm »

I would like to suggest that just for now toady just make it to where we can mod the sounds in, I mean its not realy that important to game play.

Something along the lines of you can set the amount of different noises something can make, so say you want a blacksmith to only make a ding noise you record or download a ding noise and set(in the init or maybe another text file alltogether) it to only take one noise and set it to accept that sound file, but if you want him to make 4 different ding noises and you want him to curse as if he hit his hand then you set it to 5 sounds and set it to accept those 5 files. Also make them have a % of chance to make a noise, say:

Ding 1 : %25
Ding 2 : %10
Ding 3 : %15
Ding 4 : %40
Curse  : %10
... Well that what i think....
WIERD 2-5-6-8-9-14

Cheshire Cat

• Bay Watcher
  • You Have Struck Turtle Shell!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2009, 06:43:15 am »

creating a big sound library for a game like dwarf fortress would be a huge task. there is so much stuff going on. what would be ideal would be if toady added a robust system for playing sounds in relation to tasks onscreen, with lots of customizeability. that way, we would get player created sound sets in the same way we currently have player created tilesets. things like the number of sounds, whether sound is restricted to things happening onscreen, or in the room you have selected, or insanely enough, across your entire fortress, should all be changeable, with little sims like blurbles when dwarves are having small conversations scaling up to a crouded background murmering if you are viewing a busy meeting hall. things like that would add a tremendous amount of character to the game.

something like i just described would be a hell of a lot of work. doing it right would take up a lot of time, i really dont just want the occasional plink noise when i hit a new stone layer. rather then have toady take on the crazy task of trying to create his own library of sound i really would prefer to have him adding new game content, which is why i suggest sounds be added by players.

there are lots of little things that sounds in modern games do that are in my own limited experience a little tricky to do. things like randomly varying repedative noises, so that the same sound file will sound very slightly different each time it is played. with DF the complex game it is, any sub par setup would just be annoying.
Pages: [1] 2