Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Epic scale time eating beasts  (Read 2462 times)

cowofdoom78963

• Bay Watcher
  • check
    • View Profile
Epic scale time eating beasts
« on: May 30, 2009, 06:14:36 pm »

As the title shows Im looking for sum lengthy games. I dont care if its by story, addictiveness, or whatever else. Im just looking for something that will last a while.

Please try to keep it offline, and preferably free.

And really, dont even bother with roguelikes, as if it is one. Ive probably already played it.

Anyway thats about it...
I hope you guys can find some good stuff, I sure couldent. :(

Ampersand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Epic scale time eating beasts
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2009, 06:21:20 pm »

The Longest Journey, maybe?
!!&!!

Zaranthan

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet Smelter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2009, 06:59:35 pm »

Within a Dark Forest
Quote from: Howard, Nerf This, by Scott D. Ferguson
Villains sleep with hookers, heroes sleep with destiny.

Okenido

• Bay Watcher
  • Loli Advocate
    • View Profile
    • New Various Nonsense
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2009, 07:59:33 pm »

Well there's the usual:

Tsukihime.
Knytt Stories.
XCOM.
Morrowind.
Warning Forever.
Yume Nikki.
ANYTHING by Nippon Ichi.

I'm sure there's a few more buried around here...
« Last Edit: May 30, 2009, 10:09:13 pm by Okenido »

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2009, 08:08:14 pm »

Are you open to 4X games?  In that case, Civilization 4 and especially Galactic Civilizations 2 can certainly be epic on the biggest, slowest map settings.

Civilization: Call to Power (knockoff of Sid Meier's games) was even better if you can find it, because it actually went into the future instead of abruptly stopping at 1995.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2009, 09:54:24 pm »

Have you tried Risk? I here that a good game of that can last upwards of 60 hours.

On a slightly more serious note, World of Warcraft. You'll need to invest months to get anywhere, and once you get there, you'll discover another 6 months of trying to get where everyone else is, at which point they'll drop some more xpacs on and make you work for another 8 months.
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.

Metalax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2009, 10:21:58 pm »

XCOM.

Yes. Even better start from XCOM, play though Terror and Interceptor and finish up with Apocalypse. Perhaps throw in Enforcer for the hell of it.

Morrowind.

I found this the most absorbing of the elder scrolls games, so another recommendation. Make sure to get the two expansions as well.

Civilization 4
Galactic Civilizations 2

Pretty much any member of these series can be relied on for epic games. Another in a similar vein would be Alpha Centauri.

Any of the Total War series are also good candidates for epic duration games.

The Baldurs Gate series is another that, if you don't rush to complete the main storyline, has enormous amounts of additional material to discover.

While most of these aren't going to be free they are pretty much all old enough to be found very cheaply in the budget sections of game stores.
In the beginning was the word, and the word was "Oops!"

Zai

• Bay Watcher
  • Elmo? Is that a SIMPLE UTENSIL?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2009, 10:47:34 pm »

I've played a whole lot of Team Fortress 2 recently (at least 50 hours in the past few weeks). Very addicting and very replayable. I'd suggest that, but you want a game that's offline. =X
« Last Edit: May 30, 2009, 11:02:00 pm by Zaithemaster »
DEATH has been waiting for you. He has poured you some TEA.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2009, 11:40:12 pm »

On a slightly more serious note, World of Warcraft. You'll need to invest months to get anywhere, and once you get there, you'll discover another 6 months of trying to get where everyone else is, at which point they'll drop some more xpacs on and make you work for another 8 months.

He wanted a long game, not a treadmill.
Shoes...

Okenido

• Bay Watcher
  • Loli Advocate
    • View Profile
    • New Various Nonsense
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2009, 11:42:22 pm »

In fact a treadmill would be better for your time and money more than World of Warcraft.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2009, 12:36:34 am »

In fact a treadmill would be better for your time and money more than World of Warcraft.

Oddly so would DDR (Never buy the metalic mats)

Though DDR is so personality dependent. I never bought one after DDR MAX 2 because I never wanted another one.

Let me see a game that eats you time that hasn't been said yet:

Any of the Tycoons: They take a long time to beat and some levels can take hours
-Theme Hospital: I don't care Ill suggest this to anyone! I have yet to beat this since it can take FOREVER!

Shadowgandor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2009, 04:16:39 am »

Black & White 1, first play the game offline a bit, get used to the controls, learn how to raise your creature blablabla and next, venture online. The official servers are down, but with the phoenix client, people can host games again, it's great.
B&W, yea, I think I've wasted more then 400 hours on it...in 4 months or something 0.o

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2009, 04:43:44 am »

Civilization: Call to Power (knockoff of Sid Meier's games) was even better if you can find it, because it actually went into the future instead of abruptly stopping at 1995.

you are not explaining it well. not only it has more turns, but it also has an enormous tech tree (not sure how big, since i lost the map), lots of units, Earth orbit + orbital colonies, sea colonies. and an interesting way of improving the ground.
also, many, and some of them very interesting, wonders. never build AI if you don't need it badly though... risk of riots go down to 0, but there is a small chance every turn that your city will switch ownership to the AI, and you have to retake them. luckly, only units in capital are lost.

i would tell you about some interesting moments in a game i played, but i think this is not the place for that

Virtz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2009, 07:09:03 am »

Any of the Tycoons: They take a long time to beat and some levels can take hours
This. Specifically, Transport Tycoon Deluxe (best played with Open TTD). Initially you might get disheartened if you go bankrupt due to some bad, yet seemingly unimportant decisions (like assigning too many wagons to a train transporting very little). But once you get the hang of it, you could spend an eternity seeking profits, remodelling your transport networks, buying new models, creating new types of connections, etc.. Also, there is no end. You could end up earning millions a year, the competition may come and go, but you go on with no victory conditions out there.

-Theme Hospital: I don't care Ill suggest this to anyone! I have yet to beat this since it can take FOREVER!
Forever? I'm pretty sure it's got a campaign with a finite number of levels. Last I managed to play, it was going pretty smoothly as well. Unfortunately, last I tried to play, it lagged tremendously and was unplayable for some reason. :C

Speaking of Bullfrog games, Dungeon Keeper and Populous 2. DK being sort of a scenario-baed Dwarf Fortress with evil monsters instead, with possibilities like torture, sacrifices and raising the dead. Populous 2 being more of a level-the-isometric-terrain-for-your-people sort of puzzle than real strategy game, but still featuring some fun stuff like casting earthquake on the enemy settlements. Populous 2 features 1000 levels (semi-randomly generated), but you can move forward several-dozen levels based on performance in the last one.

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2009, 07:16:59 am »

Baldurs Gate 2 or Temple of Elemental Evil [RPGs]
King's Bounty - The Legend [Fantasy Strategy]

..and let's don't forget about the Spiderweb Software games! Those are epicly long and awesome.  ;)
Pages: [1] 2