Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Megabeasts should breed (or respawn in some lore-friendly way)  (Read 2551 times)

varkarrus

• Bay Watcher
  • Insanity and a knife go well together.
    • View Profile
Re: Megabeasts should breed (or respawn in some lore-friendly way)
« Reply #15 on: May 30, 2009, 06:27:07 pm »

Just a thought.

What would happen if the bastard son of Osiris and an Octopus did it with Thor?
Dip Stick! The newest candy! Just dip it, then lick it!
Or try FUBAR! The best chocolate bar ever!
And you can't eat them, either, sadly. Even though it'd make sieges so much more fun; dwarves lining the walls, drooling and carrying sharp knives and forks, ready for the upcoming meals.

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 30, 2009, 06:47:54 pm »

Just a thought.

Carp.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 30, 2009, 08:10:06 pm »

I think Psidon knows all about freek babies. Afterall he did father a lot of Cyclops

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
  • Hobby: accidently thread derailment
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 30, 2009, 08:27:28 pm »

Well If every other person of your race is your Sister, brother or another to close relative you have to, excuse the swearing, bang something other instead.

I wonder if elves can pass theyr Immortality down to offspring they might have for example with animal-men (which origin is also nebolous). This way we could end up with creatures which could equal magebeast but arent by definition megabeasts.
[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 30, 2009, 08:32:13 pm »

Well It would be interesting if some Megabeasts could be sons/daughters (Uhh whatever is a genderless version of offspring) between two gods.

Though Personally Id think Demigods would only make SemiMegabeast but then again Toady has yet to solidify what EXACTLY defines a Megabeast (Which I think he is intentionally doing so as not to confine himself to this definition)

You find that the Modder's definition of Megabeast usually has to do with power level however you do find a lot of weaklings get into that definition.

Oddly this makes me want the god arc of version 2 even more... Then again most of the version 2 arcs are amazing and I understand why Toady can't work on them because they rely heavily on the structure set out in version 1. (For example God Arc NEEDS Carrivan, Artifact, Army, and possibly magic to even start)
« Last Edit: May 30, 2009, 08:34:29 pm by Neonivek »

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
  • Hobby: accidently thread derailment
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 30, 2009, 08:39:38 pm »

*sigh* I know. I want this arcs too but we need a basement before the roof.
[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 30, 2009, 11:18:51 pm »

Just remember Loki and Zeus that laid many mortals. Loki even did it with a horse (wtf?) thus leading to the birth of Sleipnir.

Zeus did it as a bull and as a goose.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 31, 2009, 12:00:07 am »

Just remember Loki and Zeus that laid many mortals. Loki even did it with a horse (wtf?) thus leading to the birth of Sleipnir.

Zeus did it as a bull and as a goose.

Zues has also been known to give birth to beings himself without outside intervention.

One version of Athena was that she was created when Zues had a Headache so bad that he split his head open with an axe. She was inside.

Then there is Japanese mythology... One Goddess died and created 9 other gods and goddesses based around vomiting, urinating, and uhhh Laxative among the more sane versions. (I don't actively read Japanese Mythology... Though there is as much consistancy as greek mythology.)

Some people also seperate Osirus and consider him dead and living as two seperate gods. Makes no sense to me.

Suffice it to say I really hope Toady hits most of the bases gods could follow. I wouldn't mind if some sort of Megabeast was created because a god was struck by another one so hard his hand was chopped off and grew into a five headed creature that breathes axe blades onto people.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2009, 12:02:10 am by Neonivek »

tigrex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 31, 2009, 02:58:59 am »

I think we should not neglect megabeasts reproducing in a more mundane fashion.  It shouldn't happen too often - my understanding is that the planet simply cannot sustain too many megabeasts, but a least once in its thousand-year lifespan a dragon should try to lay a clutch of eggs in their lairs and guard them until the progeny can swarm the landscape and try to find new pastures to terrorise.  This would lead to a spate of young dragon fights all over the globe, with the few that survive to adulthood becoming fully fledged megabeasts.

Think of the world history.  A few broods of hungry locust-like dragons would hit all the civs, causing chaos.  On the other hand, anyone finding a clutch of dragon eggs could either smash them or try to use them as a weapon.  It would give megabeasts greater durability to survive until year 1000, because there would always be a few dragons that survive to create the next generation.  It would not create a situation where megabeasts become common, although occasionally it would be fun to play in a world that the megabasts have taken over.

Aquillion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 31, 2009, 05:25:34 am »

My understanding is that the fact that the world eventually runs out of megabeasts is a deliberate feature, not a limitation -- it's a Tolkienesque thing, the world slowly losing its magic and so forth.
We don't want another cheap fantasy universe, we want a cheap fantasy universe generator. --Toady One

alfie275

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 31, 2009, 06:42:21 am »

Lol in adventure mode you examine the egg.
'It is starting to hatch.'
A while later...
'You have successfully trained the Dragon.'
*Rides dragon to town*
"Muhhahahaha, die!"
'The child punches the dragon in the third toe left foot, it explodes into gore.'
'Fruityfungus the gloves of acing the Dragon has been struck down.'
I do LP of videogames!
See here:
http://www.youtube.com/user/MrAlfie275

TheDJ17

• Bay Watcher
  • [SWAG]
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 31, 2009, 08:30:17 am »

One version of Athena was that she was created when Zues had a Headache so bad that he split his head open with an axe. She was inside.

In a version I read Zeus did it with a lady who turned into a snake (as a snake) before hand.
The spinning =<*Free Form Jazz*>= strikes the Poster in all the senses, ya' dig, utterly blowing the mind!
The Status Quo has been struck down!

jaked122

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Lurker tendancies]
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 31, 2009, 08:35:58 am »

What if megabeasts only bred/respawned until there are as many as there were to begin with? So you couldn't ever go over that cap.
[POPCAP:400]?

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 31, 2009, 12:07:54 pm »

My understanding is that the fact that the world eventually runs out of megabeasts is a deliberate feature, not a limitation -- it's a Tolkienesque thing, the world slowly losing its magic and so forth.

Oh, it's a feature all right, but the opposite should also be a feature.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 31, 2009, 02:24:07 pm »

Perhaps over time but when they don't make it to year 200 or when two fortresses manage to destroy most of the world's power... Something is wrong.
Pages: 1 [2] 3