Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Megabeasts should breed (or respawn in some lore-friendly way)  (Read 2556 times)

Kumagoro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I find it really annoying I have to stop worldgen very early to still have some megabeasts. Perhaps making them breed (quite odd for Colossus, but real for Dragons) and/or "descent from fiery pits of hell/heaven"?

Maybe separating between [DIVINE] meaning the strictly magical ones and normal [BEAST] for the "real" kinds like dragons.

Divine could respawn, normal could breed.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Megabeasts should breed (or respawn in some lore-friendly way)
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2009, 03:15:43 pm »

While I have nothing wrong with creatures that can come back to life after a set period of time or conditions.

Megabeasts breeding has been thought of before specifically to prevent Single Fort Megabeast depopulation

varkarrus

• Bay Watcher
  • Insanity and a knife go well together.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2009, 03:34:05 pm »

The one problem with megabeasts breeding is that one person could capture a fertile megabeast and end up rising the population to ridiculous amounts; maybe they would be very infertile?
Dip Stick! The newest candy! Just dip it, then lick it!
Or try FUBAR! The best chocolate bar ever!
And you can't eat them, either, sadly. Even though it'd make sieges so much more fun; dwarves lining the walls, drooling and carrying sharp knives and forks, ready for the upcoming meals.

Janizary

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2009, 03:35:56 pm »

The one problem with megabeasts breeding is that one person could capture a fertile megabeast and end up rising the population to ridiculous amounts; maybe they would be very infertile?

You actually want to prevent the ultimate doomsday device?

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2009, 03:36:39 pm »

How is that a problem? :)

Overdose

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2009, 03:44:47 pm »

i think the issue isn't how totally awesome flooding the world with megabeasts would be, but the fact that if they breed and/or repopulate too much, it kinda takes the emphasis out of being a "mega" beast.

even an !!adamantine warhammer!! turns commonplace and average if you make a million of them.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2009, 03:57:23 pm »

i think the issue isn't how totally awesome flooding the world with megabeasts would be, but the fact that if they breed and/or repopulate too much, it kinda takes the emphasis out of being a "mega" beast.

even an !!adamantine warhammer!! turns commonplace and average if you make a million of them.

The problem is however that Megabeasts do die and there needs to be ways for Megabeasts to survive thousands of years of world generation, several fortresses, and a slew of adventurers.

They don't need to overpopulate mind you they just need to not disapear.

Tenebrais

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2009, 04:19:20 pm »

What if megabeasts only bred/respawned until there are as many as there were to begin with? So you couldn't ever go over that cap.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2009, 04:21:48 pm »

I still like my original idea of each megabeast having a territory and naturally moving out to find their own. If two megabeasts are on the same territory they fight to the death ensuring there is enough megabeasts while not too many.

The Bronze Collosus SHOULD survive all that simply by being the most unstoppable megabeast in the game.

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
  • Hobby: accidently thread derailment
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2009, 04:30:23 pm »

Toady mentioned on his last interview (iirc a half hour or so into it) that gods might have megabeast offspring (with mortals oO). With (part)random creatures this could lead to very interesting results. Just remember Loki and Zeus that laid many mortals. Loki even did it with a horse (wtf?) thus leading to the birth of Sleipnir.

Also these guys dieing of oldage (if not undead or immortal by magic) was mentioned on one of thos interviews.
[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2009, 04:37:46 pm »

gods might have megabeast offspring

Hmmm there just isn't a emoticon that can express the excitement I feel when I hear that.

As for Loki what Loki did is he turned into imaginary pregnant animals effectively creating any creature he, or anyone who asked of him, they could think of if it existed or not.

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
  • Hobby: accidently thread derailment
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2009, 04:59:37 pm »

The story of Loki and his son sleipnir goes something like that: A hrimthurse (frost-giant) had contract with the Asen to build the wall around Asgard in six months. For payment he should get the Moon the sun and Freya. The asen on the other hand didnt want to hand out Freya the moon and the sun so they made a plan to trick the giant. The Giant had a stallion called Svadilfari which did help to build the wall. Without this Stallion the completing of the wall in 6 months was impossible.

Knowing this Loki turned into a mare to trick Svadilfari away from his master. The Stallion was gone for weeks and the Giant couldnt get the wall completed loki got pregnant. The giant saw throught the trick somehow and got in rage only to get killed by thor. Lokis offspring the eightlegged Sleipnir was given by his father to Odin as mount.

Anyway DF gets its own überawesome Mythology  :D
[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.

Silverionmox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2009, 05:03:47 pm »

Freya, from her side, came across three dwarves who fashioned the unique necklace Brisingamen. She wanted the necklace, and the dwarves wanted a roll in the hay with her, the goddes of lust and love. The deal was closed quickly thereafter.
Dwarf Fortress cured my savescumming.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2009, 05:06:19 pm »

Hmm that is interesting.. Dwarves wanted to sleep with a giant.

I wonder if Dwarf Fortress could eventually get something like Mother Megabeasts who don't generally do anything megabeast like but who just gives birth to monsters and (Semi)megabeasts all day.

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2009, 05:30:22 pm »

Toady mentioned on his last interview (iirc a half hour or so into it) that gods might have megabeast offspring (with mortals oO).

Urist McPeasant Cancles Haul Item: Getting laid by deity.
Urist McPeasant has given birth to a dragon!
Urist McPeasant has died in the heat.
Urist McStonecrafter has died in the heat.
Urist McMiner has died in the heat.
Urist McPlanter has died in the heat.
Urist McNoble has died in the heat.
Urist McBrewer has died in the heat.
Urist McMiner has died in the heat.
Urist McGrower has died in the heat.

Now THAT would be epic!