Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Thoughts on issues  (Read 1842 times)

Svirfneblim

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Thoughts on issues
« on: May 30, 2009, 02:24:40 pm »

After winning the latest version, I wanted to post some of my musings about different issues in the game and what I'd change. This isn't meant as 'what I want the game to be', but rather a seed for discussion.

Taxes
Liberals support higher/more progressive taxes not for the heck of it, but to fund actual things, like health, education, welfare and anti-poverty programs.
Consequently, a country with scarce taxation will be a country that saves on such services.
C+: the 'free clinic' becomes a 'slum clinic' which heals people much more slowly and has a 5% chance per week of giving them infection that will lower their juice.
C:  no change
ML no change
L:   using the university hospital becomes free, 1/3 transients and 1/6 prostitutes and gang members turn into 'ex-' versions of themselves
L+: 2/3 transients and 1/3 prostitutes and gang members turn. Maybe let non-wanted LCS members receive a small amount of money every month?

Abortion
The LCS could get in the bussines of underground abortions! They'd come under the illegal fundraising and work similar to prostitution. The amount of customers would depend on how conservative the laws would be, with L+ having no customers at all and L very little. Each customer would prompt an intelligence + first aid check from the abortion doctor. Results could be:

critical failure: mother and baby die, their corpses end up in your safehouse, doctor loses juice and gets criminal rap.

failure: abortion issue is influenced negatively a bit, doctor gets criminal rap and gets no money.

success: abortion issue is influenced positively a bit, you get some money.

There would be a chance of the abortionist getting arrested and trials involving abortion could strongly influence the public opinion, but in either direction!

Animal Research
All that mad science is supposed to do something, right? So, while I'm not sure if this doesn't stray too far into sci-fi, I'm thinking:
C+: guard dogs get replaced with genetically engineered 'killer dogs' which are stronger and better at fighting.

Also, I don't know how possible it is to recruit the genetic monsters from the lab, but if it is, then having a critter like that while hijacking the studio in the TV station should automatically give a huge bonus to the issue. Behold the monster!

Police Behaviour
I don't have experience with the death squads, so some things I'll suggest might already be in.
C+: death squads should kill instead of arrest when you give up, like mercenaries. Also, if the previous issue is C+ as well, they could have killer dogs with them.
Also, it should be much more likely to be tortured and damaged while arrested or imprisoned if the issue is conservative.

If your liberal gets tortured when imprisoned but lasts to a trail and wins, you should get a chance to trail the officers that did the torturing two months later. Getting them convicted would affect the public opinion.

Privacy Rights
Privacy rights should make hacker actions generate less heat.(or do they already do?).

Death Penalty
-

Nuclear Power
Once nuclear power is banned at L+, the nuclear plant location could become a 'closed nuclear plant' with nothing inside.

Pollution
Hybrid cars could appear at L+. Every car made after the year the issue went L+ would have a 75% chance of having 'hybrid' or 'eco' in it's name.(perhaps they'd be a bit slower, though?)

Worker Benefits
This issue already affects how many workers will be union, AFAIK? Anyway, maybe L and L+ would make 'labour activists' appear in factories, being workers but with extra heart, charisma, intelligence, writing, law and persuasion.

Homosexual Tolerance
No idea how it works right now! Can anyone spoil?

Immigration
If the issue is L+, do sweatshop workers still get deported?

Others - no thoughts yet!

Capital Fish

• Bay Watcher
  • "Hi Mister Dog!"
    • View Profile
Re: Thoughts on issues
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2009, 02:41:01 pm »

I like your idea about adding hybrid cars. I've always thought the "bug" option seemed a bit dated, given that the game takes place in 2009+, perhaps hybrids could replace that as the liberal car of choice?

I also like the "slum clinic" idea, and the closing of the nuclear plant. The abortion idea however, I kind of like it, but I don't see it being added.
Find the errors in the above post and win a prize!

Earthquake Damage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2009, 10:13:39 pm »

Police Behaviour
I don't have experience with the death squads, so some things I'll suggest might already be in.
C+: death squads should kill instead of arrest when you give up, like mercenaries. Also, if the previous issue is C+ as well, they could have killer dogs with them.

I'd rather they bring killer mutant bears.  Attack bears are scarier than attack dogs.  They're not only deadlier, but harder to kill too.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2009, 10:44:41 pm »

Death squad already kill instead of arrest, best as I can tell.

I've seen genetic monstrosities guarding the CEO House.

The free clinic should be closed at C+ taxes.  The Arch-Conservatives feel that only those with money deserve medical treatment.  I really don't get the former crack head and former prostitute thing.  All active members of the LCS have given up their former jobs when they join.

Servant Corps

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2009, 10:47:40 pm »

Again, I support the idea of the Taxes issues and the Government Spending issue being seperated (to simulate L+ handing money out to government programs to help the poor). Then, I would have a National Debt, which is affected by Taxes and Government Spending, with VERY BAD EVENTS happenig if the National Debt gets too high.

However, I don't see how it would be funny.
I have left Bay12Games to pursue a life of non-Bay12Games. If you need to talk to me, please email at me at igorhorst at gmail dot com.

Svirfneblim

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2009, 07:19:15 am »

Death squad already kill instead of arrest, best as I can tell.
Right.

I really don't get the former crack head and former prostitute thing.
They are ex- transients, prostitutes and gangsters because they were able to start a new life because of help programs.
It's meant to be like more liberal labor law makes 'new union workers' appear in factories. It doesn't do anything other than making the play feel better.

Yanlin

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary comedian.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2009, 11:08:28 am »

Perhaps you should investigate into hybrid cars. In the fact that they are, environmentally useless. Hell they are probably even more polluting considering they run on the gas most of the time anyway.

Realistically, the nuclear power plant is replaced with a geothermal power plant or some such.

Cars become electrics.

You get a newspaper article about how the entire country is demolishing ALL polluting power plants. Nuclear amongst them. Being replaced by geothermals, hydroelectrics and wind powered.
WE NEED A SLOGAN!

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2009, 01:43:14 pm »

Pollution
Hybrid cars could appear at L+. Every car made after the year the issue went L+ would have a 75% chance of having 'hybrid' or 'eco' in it's name.(perhaps they'd be a bit slower, though?)

Actually, I'd go the opposite route and introduce a risk of getting pulled over*, fined for ecological crimes, and having your car impounded (with attendant arrest if it was stolen) if it's sufficiently old and/or an SUV. Being older or bigger would increase the chances of being pulled over (though having more people in the vehicle would mitigate being pulled over for driving something big).

They are ex- transients, prostitutes and gangsters because they were able to start a new life because of help programs.
It's meant to be like more liberal labor law makes 'new union workers' appear in factories. It doesn't do anything other than making the play feel better.

And here I figured you meant that they were getting on welfare. I'd think at L+ it would be perfectly reasonable to add a "Welfare" stipend each month to the income screen... though I suppose it'd encourage you to have large squads of deadbeats... which come to think of it could be in keeping with the satire...

---
*Police behavior and privacy should also factor in; low PB would increase the likelihood of being pulled over (or just encountering an out-and-out police checkpoint on the road), and low privacy would factor in your heat to the likelihood you're pulled over (and also possibly just add to existing heat from the assorted police cameras strewn about town).
« Last Edit: May 31, 2009, 01:58:51 pm by E. Albright »

Capital Fish

• Bay Watcher
  • "Hi Mister Dog!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2009, 02:05:10 pm »

*Police behavior and privacy should also factor in; low PB would increase the likelihood of being pulled over (or just encountering an out-and-out police checkpoint on the road), and low privacy would factor in your heat to the likelihood you're pulled over (and also possibly just add to existing heat from the assorted police cameras strewn about town).

I like that idea about the police checkpoints! While the Police Behavior issue is conservative, your squads could encounter random "police checkpoints" while driving to site actions. You'd have options to bluff your way through the checkpoint and hope the police didn't notice that you're driving a stolen car, turn around and go back to the safehouse, or floor the accelerator and try to plow your way through the roadblock.
Find the errors in the above post and win a prize!

Svirfneblim

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2009, 05:26:57 pm »

[quote author=E. Albright link=topic=36437.msg578346#msg578346 And here I figured you meant that they were getting on welfare. I'd think at L+ it would be perfectly reasonable to add a "Welfare" stipend each month to the income screen... though I suppose it'd encourage you to have large squads of deadbeats... which come to think of it could be in keeping with the satire...
[/quote]
No, that's what I meant. I assume that a welfare check would be enough to get some people to leave their homelesness, prostitution or crime behind, but not everyone.
LCS engaging in welfare fraud would be satire from a conservative POV, though probably no more than shooting people to free lab rabbits...

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2009, 12:16:18 pm »

Perhaps you should investigate into hybrid cars. In the fact that they are, environmentally useless. Hell they are probably even more polluting considering they run on the gas most of the time anyway.

Realistically, the nuclear power plant is replaced with a geothermal power plant or some such.

Cars become electrics.

You get a newspaper article about how the entire country is demolishing ALL polluting power plants. Nuclear amongst them. Being replaced by geothermals, hydroelectrics and wind powered.

Actually, due to the dangers associated with Nuclear Power Plants, most are rarely demolished. 

It has something to do with nobody wanting nuclear waste to be transported in their neighborhood, so it most likely stays where it is.

So, I'd recommend changing them to "Decommissioned Nuclear Power Plants", especially since it needs to reopen when the laws invariably swing more conservative.

LiteralKa

• Bay Watcher
  • LCS Developer
    • View Profile
    • My Website!
« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2009, 12:21:45 pm »

Cars become electrics.

Actually, due to the dangers associated with Nuclear Power Plants, most are rarely demolished. 

It has something to do with nobody wanting nuclear waste to be transported in their neighborhood, so it most likely stays where it is.

So, I'd recommend changing them to "Decommissioned Nuclear Power Plants", especially since it needs to reopen when the laws invariably swing more conservative.
Because it's a huge pain in the ass to close down a Nuclear Power Plant.
LCS developer, insomniac, writer.

Servant Corps

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2009, 05:36:07 pm »

[quote author=E. Albright link=topic=36437.msg578346#msg578346 And here I figured you meant that they were getting on welfare. I'd think at L+ it would be perfectly reasonable to add a "Welfare" stipend each month to the income screen... though I suppose it'd encourage you to have large squads of deadbeats... which come to think of it could be in keeping with the satire...
No, that's what I meant. I assume that a welfare check would be enough to get some people to leave their homelesness, prostitution or crime behind, but not everyone.
LCS engaging in welfare fraud would be satire from a conservative POV, though probably no more than shooting people to free lab rabbits...
[/quote]

Would seem far better for the Government to tax LCS' earnings, and if the LCS refuses, get arrested for tax evasion.
I have left Bay12Games to pursue a life of non-Bay12Games. If you need to talk to me, please email at me at igorhorst at gmail dot com.

Svirfneblim

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2009, 07:03:31 pm »

That would be hillarious, but LCS's earnings are mostly illegal.
Though the legal fundraising could indeed be taxed and setting up 'bussines fronts' being more expensive.

L+ = "Even street artists and homemade t-shirt sellers are subject to harsh taxation!"

Servant Corps

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2009, 09:02:13 pm »

The reason I was thinking about taxing the LCS is because of Al Chapone...who was in fact arrested for tax evasion. According to one lame article about Al Chapone, the Feds showed evidence that AL Chapone had been spending a lot of money. He had to be earning that money somehow in order to spend it, and since he did not report where he got that income from, he must be evading his taxes.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2009, 09:03:47 pm by Servant Corps »
Pages: [1] 2