Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: What determines diplomat and merchant type?  (Read 1319 times)

Kumagoro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
What determines diplomat and merchant type?
« on: May 30, 2009, 05:53:10 am »

The RAW

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

So I added those two civs, and I can't seem to decipher what determines the type of wagons/diplomats they bring.

Basically the draconic civ has diplomat enabled, but they don't bring diplomats. Argonians bring diplomats, but they only say "Nice place you carved out yourselves"

Also, dragons bring either wagons or absolutely nothing (if site unaccessible)

Argonians bring elf-type wagons (those pack animals)

What determines that stuff?

Also: dragons seem to behave odd, after trading they just hang around the map and eventually go berserk
« Last Edit: May 30, 2009, 06:08:02 am by Kumagoro »

TheNewerMartianEmperor

• Bay Watcher
  • ♥She'd cut you up!♥
    • View Profile
Re: What determines diplomat and merchant type?
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2009, 12:31:54 pm »

Diplomats only offer peace treaties, and restrictions on logging if it's in their ethics. Not sure about the trading though. although check it across multiple worlds to see if it's just the civ in that world.
Once tried to conquer Earth, and succeeded! Too bad it got really, really boring, really, really fast.

One day, we shall all look back on this, and laugh. Sorry about the face, by the way, and the legs, and the eyes, and the arms. In fact, sorry 'bout the whole body.

Tenebrais

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2009, 01:00:49 pm »

Your Argonians have pack animals but not pulling animals, which is presumably why they bring loaded animals but no wagons.

Your dragons don't seem to have either, but are still set to trade, which probably explains their behaviour.

As for the kind of diplomats they send, I'm not sure about that either. In fact, I modded some entities into my game and now the humans and elves are sending outpost liaisons bringing greetings from the mountainhomes. I haven't had any visits from the new races yet to see what they do, though.

Blakmane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2009, 10:40:42 pm »

[MERCHANT_NOBILITY] makes the race send trade liasons. Diplomats are entirely unnecessary in most cases.

[COMMON_DOMESTIC_PACK] and [COMMON_DOMESTIC_PULL] will make them bring goods on pack animals/wagons respectively.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2009, 11:31:34 am »

[MERCHANT_NOBILITY] makes the race send trade liasons.
That one's already on the dragons.

This seems to be the problem, although I don't see the connection. Change [RELIGION:ANY_APPROPRIATE_POWER] to something else.

(edit: nvm)
« Last Edit: May 31, 2009, 05:24:55 pm by Sutremaine »
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Blakmane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2009, 01:13:02 pm »

[MERCHANT_NOBILITY] makes the race send trade liasons.
That one's already on the dragons.

This seems to be the problem, although I don't see the connection. Change [RELIGION:ANY_APPROPRIATE_POWER] to something else.

well spotted  ;D that religion tag will indeed prevent trade liasons. Argonians still need merchant nobility though. And dragons need the common domestic pack/pull tags.

Kumagoro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2009, 08:07:35 am »

Dragons still behave odd even after adding proper tags

Every time they leave, they leave 3 Dragon Wrestlers with "Friendly" on the Units screen

Odd, they just hang around the map

Blakmane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2009, 06:20:05 pm »

not sure if it's relevant, but I don't think CHAMPION is a useable site leader entry. I could be wrong, it does come up as a job in the string dump, but I thought it was hard-coded.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2009, 04:04:51 pm »

Just altered a modded race to have champions as site leaders and leaders. They trade and leave just fine.

Then just for the hell of it I stuck the dragons in the game to test them. Had to make them use human for the creatures and Dwarven for the translation, since I don't have any sentient dragons and they don't have any translation. Apart from the game complaining about [LIKES_SITE:RUINS] (and not about the missing weapons, which I thought was odd), everything went fine. I got both a diplomat and a trade liaison despite forgetting to alter the religion tag, which I really wasn't expecting, and the wrestlers cleared off with the caravan.

What's in your errorlog? Are you nuking the \raw\objects \data\objects folder between alterations? It's not supposed to matter unless you're altering file names, but I got weird crap happening with a plant/reaction mod back when I wasn't clearing it out regularly.

(edited for reasons of being a dumbass)
« Last Edit: June 02, 2009, 08:58:28 pm by Sutremaine »
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Blakmane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2009, 05:04:38 pm »

Just altered a modded race to have champions as site leaders and leaders. They trade and leave just fine.

Then just for the hell of it I stuck the dragons in the game to test them. Had to make them use human for the creatures and Dwarven for the translation, since I don't have any sentient dragons and they don't have any translation. Apart from the game complaining about [LIKES_SITE:RUINS] (and not about the missing weapons, which I thought was odd), everything went fine. I got both a diplomat and a trade liaison despite forgetting to alter the religion tag, which I really wasn't expecting, and the wrestlers cleared off with the caravan.

What's in your errorlog? Are you nuking the \raw\objects folder between alterations? It's not supposed to matter unless you're altering file names, but I got weird crap happening with a plant/reaction mod back when I wasn't clearing it out regularly.

she means data/objects.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2009, 11:16:05 pm by Blakmane »

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2009, 08:55:59 pm »

...Crap.

Yeah, I had a brain fart there. Got raws on the brain at the moment. I'll go back and alter that...

btw, I'm a she, although I don't care about the pronouns too much. I usually get confused for a male on the internet anyway.

Blakmane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2009, 11:18:10 pm »

...Crap.

Yeah, I had a brain fart there. Got raws on the brain at the moment. I'll go back and alter that...

btw, I'm a she, although I don't care about the pronouns too much. I usually get confused for a male on the internet anyway.

no problems, swapped it round =). The internet is pretty much a land of 'male until told otherwise'

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2009, 08:52:13 am »

...Crap.

no problems, swapped it round =). The internet is pretty much a land of 'male until told otherwise'

Everyone knows there's no such thing as girls on the internet :P

serephe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2009, 02:53:40 am »

I thought everyone was a girl.

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2009, 05:50:00 am »

I thought everyone was a girl.

The Internet is where men are men, women are men and children are FBI agents.