Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Ultimate Site Finder Thread  (Read 757 times)

ShadowDragon8685

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Ultimate Site Finder Thread
« on: May 30, 2009, 03:58:28 am »

Yes, I know that there's already been a plethora of site finder threads, but (a) none of them had the one specific thing I wanted to niggle about, and (b) I thought that there ought to be one Big SiteFinder Thread.

What I want most in the Site Finder is the ability to prioritize what I find. Sometimes you overreach, I admit it. I'd like to be able to tell Dwarf Fortress "I want all of these, but this, this and this are absolutely vital to me." As it stands, I'll often get a partial if I'm looking for river, cave river, magma pipe, flux, bottomless pit and HFS... And it left out the one I really, really wanted, which was the magma pipe.

Say, the ability to prioritize items much like you prioritize trade items would go over well.

Another thing people have complained about is the desire to specify more general sources; eg, "water" which will be passed if a site has any of river, cave river, pool, pond, or whatever, or magma, which would be passed from magma pool and/or magma pipe, and a disposal chute, which would be passed by both chasms and bottomless pits and magma pipes.

Errol

• Bay Watcher
  • Heaven or Hell, Duel 1 -- Let's Rock!
    • View Profile
Re: Ultimate Site Finder Thread
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2009, 04:43:35 am »

I'd want the site finder to track forestation and sand. It would be convenient.
Girls are currently preparing signature, please wait warmly until it is ready.

Drakeero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Ultimate Site Finder Thread
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2009, 11:04:26 pm »

I would like to see a type in search option to look for specific names.

I found a perfect starting site that I was REALLY looking forward to.

There was a volcano named "The Blaze of Flooding", I mean, how dwarvenly is that?  Then my computer crashed.  I would -really- like to find that spot again, but I generated it on a 'large' world and I can't put the magic combination of finder parameters again.
Cage traps are my magma.