Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: So who else is Dwarfing on a low end pc?  (Read 6266 times)

KilgoreTrout

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: So who else is Dwarfing on a low end pc?
« Reply #15 on: May 31, 2009, 04:03:15 pm »

So my problem lies in heat, definately. It hits 80-85 with just Steam running by itself.

Any tips?

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 31, 2009, 06:02:54 pm »

Turn off Steam. I mean, do you need it running always? :)
Also if it's laptop, you'd better not open it.

For PC I can suggest various cooling systems.

Also you may want to check if it's cooler working properly.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

KilgoreTrout

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 31, 2009, 06:12:39 pm »

Heh well that's the problem, there's no fan on my laptop. I might pick up a cooling dock, see if that helps.

azrael4h

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Dwarf Fortress-centric You Tube videos, part of my nominally vintage gaming channel.
« Reply #18 on: May 31, 2009, 08:09:12 pm »

EEP! No fan?! What company made that computer, so I may never ever buy from them.

My Toshiba's fan runs constantly while gaming, unless it's older DOS games or similarly low-power games. Even so, I keep it propped up so it doesn't get too warm.

It was horrid with Vista; the fans had to run constantly period; and the felt temps were much higher then at idle than they are now while playing some of the more strenuous stuff.

Nilus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 31, 2009, 08:18:21 pm »

Turn off temperature and weather you silly people!
I'm running a Pentium D 945 (3.4ghz), not exactly low end considering some other comments in this thread but by modern standards it's haggard. With temp and weather off, about 100 doorfs with water and shitz I get a constant 95-100 FPS (with 40d11).
The only time it's dropped below 90 with that config is when I released my 130 or so caged cats onto the goblin invaders.
It was a slideshow of gore and awesomeness.
That kind of deductive reasoning is undorfy!
You know what you have to do.
RELEASE THE CATS!

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 31, 2009, 11:00:37 pm »

While I recently upgraded, It was recent enough to recall my old tactics.

The computer was a 2.3 Ghz intel of some kind, 1.5 GB of ram and an ancient ATI Radeon 9250.

If it was running above 20 fps I was ecstatic.  Usually picked 4x4 areas, and if I got HFS I would use a utility to determine what kind of HFS because a certain kind of HFS would slow down the computer so much that it froze.   

I usually got an extra year or 2 out of my forts by atom smashing or melting EVERYTHING invaders brought with them.  I felt that selling the super expensive junk was a bit exploity, and even if I didn't feel that way I doubt I could unload the junk to traders fast enough.  That seemed to make a pretty noticeable diffrence over the long term. 

I also tended to be less careful with citizens after 80 members.  Often sending out hunters with nothing but training weapons and leather.  If they got in trouble I would make an attempt to save them if I could, but if I couldn't it would be no big deal.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Techhead

• Bay Watcher
  • Former Minister of Technological Heads
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 31, 2009, 11:02:30 pm »

Thats low-end???
I'm running it on a 700MHz PPC G3 iBook, with 256 MB of RAM. I'm probably the bottom of the barrel when it comes to computer specs and DF. I dare anyone to run DF on something worse.
Engineering Dwarves' unfortunate demises since '08
WHAT?  WE DEMAND OUR FREE THINGS NOW DESPITE THE HARDSHIPS IT MAY CAUSE IN YOUR LIFE
It's like you're all trying to outdo each other in sheer useless pedantry.

Idiom

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_THOUGHT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 31, 2009, 11:13:20 pm »

Got like 70-ish FPS on an old Athlon at 1.2 Ghz. Now with d11 and some of the partial_print options I get like 150.

Anyone with an i7 and DDR3?

torne

• Bay Watcher
  • arf arf
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 01, 2009, 06:42:12 am »

I sometimes run it on my EEE PC 701, the original model with the 571Mhz Celeron-M (not the much, much faster Atom), and 512MB of RAM. Not sure if that counts as worse than the G3 iBook or not but it's comparable ;)

I tend to do 2x2 forts with magma and no other features. Temperature left on, weather disabled once a cistern has been filled by draining the murky pools. It runs at abuot 10fps to start with, and as the fort grows it drops to 6-7. :)

Nilus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 01, 2009, 10:51:54 am »

Got like 70-ish FPS on an old Athlon at 1.2 Ghz. Now with d11 and some of the partial_print options I get like 150.

Anyone with an i7 and DDR3?

Get back to me in November.
That kind of deductive reasoning is undorfy!
You know what you have to do.
RELEASE THE CATS!

Erk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 01, 2009, 11:19:55 am »

I sometimes run it on my EEE PC 701, the original model with the 571Mhz Celeron-M (not the much, much faster Atom), and 512MB of RAM. Not sure if that counts as worse than the G3 iBook or not but it's comparable ;)

I tend to do 2x2 forts with magma and no other features. Temperature left on, weather disabled once a cistern has been filled by draining the murky pools. It runs at abuot 10fps to start with, and as the fort grows it drops to 6-7. :)
I started dwarfing on a very similar computer, the 4g 701. Not a surf model. Comparitively, the 901 feels screamin' fast. I can actually still play while a waterfall is going.
'River' cancels eat: Food is problematic.

de5me7

• Bay Watcher
  • urban spaceman
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 02, 2009, 11:22:13 am »

my laptop is about 4yrs old, specs roughly 1.5ghz centrino, 512 ram, on board graphics, in a word, its ar*e. I dont know what fps i get but its slow, I play small maps with no pop cap. Things run fairly smoothly upto about 40 dwarfs. I dont mind because usually im playing another rogue like (nethack) simultaniously or im working on something else. So i just click over to DF when something interesting is about to happen
I haven't been able to get any vomit this release. Not any I can pick up, at any rate.
Swans, too. Swans are complete bastards.

flabort

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a demilich, despite the 4e and 5e nerfs
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 02, 2009, 02:37:05 pm »

lowest of the low end here.

I'm lucky to get 8 FPS  :o on a pocket world with just the 7 dwarves on my main computer, and that's without animals or any features like murky pools of water, trees, or magma :'(. sure, i've got 6 hard drives  ;D with an average of 20 gig's of memory each, but that is SLOW.  ::)
The Cyan Menace

Went away for a while, came back, went away for a while, and back for now.

Corona688

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 02, 2009, 03:59:27 pm »

It's not like DF even uses a second core, so the dual-coreness of the CPU is kind of irrelevant.
You never know when you might need a berserk dwarf to set loose somewhere.

Dareon Clearwater

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:colorful underwear]
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 04, 2009, 03:32:15 am »

1 Ghz Athlon, 704 megs of RAM.  I usually see framerate drops just in the first few months on a 2x2.

My last fort, a 1x2, hit adamantine and immediately slowed to 8 FPS and would not budge from there.
It's like you're all trying to outdo each other in sheer useless pedantry.
Pages: 1 [2] 3