Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10

Author Topic: Shooting dead thieves... Murder(Wrong)? or Right?  (Read 11350 times)

Yanlin

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary comedian.
    • View Profile
Re: Shooting dead thieves... Murder(Wrong)? or Right?
« Reply #105 on: June 01, 2009, 11:37:33 am »

How to fight:

Take a few classes in physics.

Practice throwing your whole body with each punch. Remember. Force = Mass * Acceleration.

So if you have lots of mass, your body, with lots of acceleration, the bodythrow and punch, it does MASSIVE DAMAGE.

Practice positioning and grabbing. Remember. Just a simple grab is enough. No need for anything fancy. The most important thing? Don't stop to think. JUST KEEP ATTACKING.
WE NEED A SLOGAN!

cowofdoom78963

• Bay Watcher
  • check
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: June 01, 2009, 01:42:15 pm »

How to fight:

Take a few classes in physics.

Practice throwing your whole body with each punch. Remember. Force = Mass * Acceleration.
This is why I always bring a iron ball necklace when Im fighting.

Yanlin

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary comedian.
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: June 01, 2009, 01:46:23 pm »

This is why heavy weight boxing beats light weight boxing.
WE NEED A SLOGAN!

Agdune

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: June 01, 2009, 05:06:18 pm »

Maybe its me... but this sort of sentiment... is... unappealing.

"I have insurance, here, take everything.  I don't lose anything, but my rates will go up.  Hell, it'll go up anyways if you don't take anything and I report this."

It does not change the fact that you are being threatened and robbed in the first place.  What justice is there when the criminal is able to walk off and spend your money away before being caught?  If the thief was already doing financially poorly, how can you expect this person to be able to pay anything back?

What guarantee is there that this criminal will be caught in the first place?  In this time... what with everything cops already deal with and budget cuts... Small time robbery is going to be a low issue unless you have a 'friend' who would push your issue up in priority and they'd still need a viable description to work with...  Or a cop gets lucky... by Jah.. you read about so many fools getting caught cause of 'routine' traffic stops in the news...

When the insurance company loses, everyone else, especially the victim of the robbery gets a rate increase.  In effect, nobody wins, except for maybe the insurance company who uses your statistic as justification for rate increases in your 'categories'.

As I see it, a burden on society.

Ugh. So trying to use lethal force and quite possibly get yourself killed in the process is better than getting increased insurance rates?
I'm Mr. Cellophane

Org

• Bay Watcher
  • Daring Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: June 01, 2009, 05:30:36 pm »

Maybe its me... but this sort of sentiment... is... unappealing.

"I have insurance, here, take everything.  I don't lose anything, but my rates will go up.  Hell, it'll go up anyways if you don't take anything and I report this."

It does not change the fact that you are being threatened and robbed in the first place.  What justice is there when the criminal is able to walk off and spend your money away before being caught?  If the thief was already doing financially poorly, how can you expect this person to be able to pay anything back?

What guarantee is there that this criminal will be caught in the first place?  In this time... what with everything cops already deal with and budget cuts... Small time robbery is going to be a low issue unless you have a 'friend' who would push your issue up in priority and they'd still need a viable description to work with...  Or a cop gets lucky... by Jah.. you read about so many fools getting caught cause of 'routine' traffic stops in the news...

When the insurance company loses, everyone else, especially the victim of the robbery gets a rate increase.  In effect, nobody wins, except for maybe the insurance company who uses your statistic as justification for rate increases in your 'categories'.

As I see it, a burden on society.

Ugh. So trying to use lethal force and quite possibly get yourself killed in the process is better than getting increased insurance rates?
Of course it is Agdune!

Why live when there is a small chance that you can pull out a gun faster than the robber can shoot you? Its much better just to get yourself killed than have to higher insurance.

/sarcasm off.

Fishersalwaysdie

• Bay Watcher
  • Slayer of Threads
    • View Profile
    • http://chupacabra
« Reply #110 on: June 01, 2009, 05:57:54 pm »

Shooting robbers should be one's duty as a member of the society.
Executing those that prey on the weak should be one's duty as a member of a group.
Being a criminal appears to be a way of life instead of being a way of death.
Cannot find self-destruction button, could have sworn it's somewhere here...

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: June 01, 2009, 07:06:09 pm »

Shooting robbers should be one's duty as a member of the society.
Executing those that prey on the weak should be one's duty as a member of a group.
Being a criminal appears to be a way of life instead of being a way of death.
You have it all wrong.  Would you have all drug addicts killed off, or have them rehabilitated and brought back into society as useful, skilled individuals that make a contribution to the community?  That's what they do with robbers.  That's what they do with a lot of criminals.  That is the procedure that has been determined by the U.S. justice system to be socially acceptable.  Every attempt to follow that procedure should be made. 

When your jail time is up, they don't just throw you out into the street.  You go to the half-way house.  You have to get back into the swing of things, and you get help with that.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

Muz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: June 01, 2009, 08:21:36 pm »

Only a small amount of drug addicts actually get rehabbed. It's far worse with criminals. Most can't get a job at all because of the prison record. They will have good motives, but they can't even get a simple cashier job with a record for robbery, so most will end up getting thrown in jail eventually. Then they meet other thieves and become even better thieves.

Smart thieves get smarter. And the stupid ones - well, there's no curing them.
Disclaimer: Any sarcasm in my posts will not be mentioned as that would ruin the purpose. It is assumed that the reader is intelligent enough to tell the difference between what is sarcasm and what is not.

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: June 01, 2009, 08:29:41 pm »

The U.S. Supreme Court prefers preventative measures that have potential to provide extra benefits to society rather than preventative measures that merely involve killing people off.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: June 02, 2009, 02:30:16 pm »

There's plenty of countries outside of Europe and the Americas that you could go live in, if you think that minor crimes should be punished by execution, or at least by losing a hand.

Naturally, people who enforce those laws start to find it very easy to create all sorts of new things that are also punishable by death.

Have fun!  Don't let the door hit you on the way out!
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

Fishersalwaysdie

• Bay Watcher
  • Slayer of Threads
    • View Profile
    • http://chupacabra
« Reply #115 on: June 02, 2009, 03:55:16 pm »

The U.S. Supreme Court prefers preventative measures that have potential to provide extra benefits to society rather than preventative measures that merely involve killing people off.
The potential that will never be realized you mean?
The change is not something goverment officials can bring, it starts locally, in minds of people who make the country.

Maybe some criminals can grow to like the society and stop trying to outwit it, but the society will never grow to like those that break it's most basic laws.
Cannot find self-destruction button, could have sworn it's somewhere here...

Org

• Bay Watcher
  • Daring Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: June 02, 2009, 05:02:53 pm »

Huh. I dont know why, but Inaluct is still muted.

Hasn't it been 3 days?

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: June 02, 2009, 05:24:24 pm »

The potential that will never be realized you mean?
The change is not something goverment officials can bring, it starts locally, in minds of people who make the country.

Maybe some criminals can grow to like the society and stop trying to outwit it, but the society will never grow to like those that break it's most basic laws.

Citation needed.  Sounds like you're saying "The vast majority of criminals are never rehabilitated and are never productive."  If you have studies to back that up, I'd like to see them...
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: June 02, 2009, 05:32:18 pm »

Regardless, if the government announced "We're going to just give up on these guys and either dump them on the street once they're out of the slammer and kill the rest of the scum" they would get all kinds of hell from the people and media.  You can bet the next election would yield different politics.  Plus, there would be international pressure for taking on such an inhumane policy towards criminals.
Just so I remember

Pandarsenic

• Bay Watcher
  • FABULOUS Gunslinger
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: June 03, 2009, 04:56:41 am »

Backing up the point about Oklahoma sucking: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-wX5KMfjYYY
KARATE CHOP TO THE SOUL
Your bone is the best Pandar honey. The best.
YOUR BONE IS THE BEST PANDAR
[Cheeetar] Pandar doesn't have issues, he has style.
Fuck off, you fucking fucker-fuck :I
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10