Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 10

Author Topic: Shooting dead thieves... Murder(Wrong)? or Right?  (Read 11381 times)

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
Re: Shooting dead thieves... Murder(Wrong)? or Right?
« Reply #30 on: May 30, 2009, 07:35:53 am »

Under Oklahoma's "Make My Day Law" — passed in the late 1980s and named for one of Clint Eastwood's most famous movie lines — people can use deadly force when they feel threatened by an intruder inside their homes. In 2006, Oklahoma's "Stand Your Ground Law" extended that to anywhere a citizen has the right to be, such as a car or office.

Maybe it sounds "hardcore", but I like this. It's a shame that you are now allowed to protect yourself like this in Hungary.

Yanlin

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary comedian.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 30, 2009, 08:02:40 am »

Grabbing weapons or quickdraws are pretty much a dumb idea unless you're highly trained in it.

That's why I said you need to PRACTICE it.
WE NEED A SLOGAN!

Agdune

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 30, 2009, 09:02:36 am »

I like how the article glosses over the whole 'execution' thing. Sure, he was within the confines of the law when he fired first (I don't agree with that btw. Why the fuck didn't he just hand over the fucking company money and utilise something called insurance?) but hey, let's concentrate on that instead of the way he then left the scene, returned and fatally shot an unconscious idiot. Awesome.

To those saying things about 'setting examples' etc, remember that the people who conduct armed robberies in the first place don't really worry about consequences. So what if some guy was gunned down robbing some place somewhere? These guys probably never heard about it and if they have, they'll just be all the more willing to shoot employees (Who again, really shouldn't be endangering themselves to protect a couple of hundred dollars worth of their employer's money) as a pre-emptive measure.

Home invasion? Eh. Not my problem thankfully. Hooray for effective gun control and safe communities!
I'm Mr. Cellophane

Org

• Bay Watcher
  • Daring Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 30, 2009, 09:20:22 am »

Fuck. Why did Inaluct get muted. It was his opinion, and even if what he said was a little rude, it was his opinion. And that sounded like something I would say.

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 30, 2009, 09:41:54 am »

Because, while it was sarcastic, it could be construed as racist, seeing as how he wasn't as clear on the sarcasm par as he should have been, and would certainly be offensive to a particular group regardless of sarcasm (Oklahoma).
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

Org

• Bay Watcher
  • Daring Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 30, 2009, 09:49:28 am »

Well well well. Racist maybe. But still, there is still stuff like White Supremacist, and other things still alive. So while he may have been a little rude, there is a possibility it is true. Race could have been a matter. I live in the South. Racism is something I hear ALOT. Maybe its just me, but I have heard worse.

Gorjo MacGrymm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 30, 2009, 01:23:46 pm »

Fuck. Why did Inaluct get muted. It was his opinion, and even if what he said was a little rude, it was his opinion. And that sounded like something I would say.

because of saying things like this:

Typical fucking Oklahomans. I wish I could kill them all
Little states. Horrible little states. Like Oklahoma.
AAARRRRGHH I HATE OKLAHOMA

You would say that Org?  Saying things like that get people investigated by law enforcement.  People who say things like "I wish I could kill them all (Oklahomans)....AAARRRRGHH I HATE OKLAHOMA" is the reason why honest, hard working, law abiding, loving and caring people feel the need to protect themselves.
"You should stop cutting down all these herr trees, or, MAN is my Queen going to be Aaaaa-aang-Re-ee with you guys!" flipping his hand and batting his eyelashes."
"Oh my god guys, wood, is like, totally murder."

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 30, 2009, 02:58:25 pm »

Looking at it, Inaluct has been getting a little bit over the line lately.
Even the avatars expire eventually.

bjlong

• Bay Watcher
  • [INVISIBLE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 30, 2009, 03:20:51 pm »

Ok, some self-defense stuff here.

If you are in a position where your life is threatened, then you must act as if the person is willing, even eager, to take your life. You must also act like he is a blackbelt in all martial arts, trained by the Navy SEALs, the Marine Corps, Spetsnaz, some ethnic martial arts master, and Mike Tyson's Punch Out. Oh, and he has three friends who are just as skilled, and hiding behind you.

In short, you've lost.

So you must give this person no chance to take your life. You have to evaluate the situation and either comply or strike quickly and without hesitation. You should comply if you are reasonably sure that you can get your way out of this--this means you have to know what he's thinking. I mean that you know exactly what options he's considering, and which he'll probably choose, and for what reasons.

If you have a momentary advantage, you should strike. Decisively. Killing is acceptable. Half-measures like "shooting him in the leg" or "run up and disarm him" or such should be practiced beforehand and used only if the opportunity really, really presents itself, as they generally don't work. Also, don't worry about the legal implications. In short, don't fight to wound--fight to kill or get away.

Otherwise, a compliant stalling is the best policy.

If you're striking, the point to stop is when he won't fight back. Him falling down is a possible indicator. Don't trust him til you've secured him and removed his weapons or confirmed that he's dead/unconscious. Even then, keep whatever weapons you can find on hand.

Remember, if you're in a position where this advice is helpful, you've already lost. Yanlin's advice about public signs and cameras is excellent--it'll push you out of any casual criminal's hit list.

Mo' info.

This said!

If the reporting is accurate, then the guy's actions show that he did not believe that the victim would fight back after the first bullet. He's guilty of some sort of murder or manslaughter.

I'd like to point out to everyone that gun control or gun ownership doesn't solve this problem--criminals are made from people who were abandoned, or have been in a very desperate situation for a long time, not from the availability of guns. Good parenting and low poverty will help a ton more than gun carp.
I hesitate to click the last spoiler tag because I expect there to be Elder Gods in it or something.

Org

• Bay Watcher
  • Daring Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 30, 2009, 04:18:37 pm »

because of saying things like this:

Typical fucking Oklahomans. I wish I could kill them all
Little states. Horrible little states. Like Oklahoma.
AAARRRRGHH I HATE OKLAHOMA

You would say that Org?  Saying things like that get people investigated by law enforcement.  People who say things like "I wish I could kill them all (Oklahomans)....AAARRRRGHH I HATE OKLAHOMA" is the reason why honest, hard working, law abiding, loving and caring people feel the need to protect themselves.
Not kill them. I just dont like people who are like that.

And I dont remember him trolling that much, Strife, not since the now-disappeared Titus Andronicus thread(So much trolling...).  Ive seen people who troll much more, and it does not seem anything is done. I think that everyone is entitled to their own opinion.

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 30, 2009, 05:56:04 pm »

For example.

Canadians are fucking barbarians.
Even the avatars expire eventually.

Org

• Bay Watcher
  • Daring Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 30, 2009, 05:56:58 pm »

I dont understand.

Darkone

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 30, 2009, 07:09:39 pm »

While I don't agree with the whole execution, I believe you should have all the right in the world to use lethal force when you, your family/friends, or your livelyhood is being threatened by someone.
"LOL, those nub FBI, they thought you were sharing software so they kicked down your door, only to find you recently wiped your entire hard drive, how wacky! Case dismissed."
[11:58] <Jay16> I couldn't begin proper last time I tried this because I embarked next to a hydra.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 30, 2009, 07:22:45 pm »

The problem is, that's not really an opinion.  You have to define what "threatens" means.  Obviously, this guy was certainly not a threat anymore, but you have to actually draw a line somewhere between laying on the floor and coming at you with a knife.

I'll just add my little bit to the discussion that, in my personal experience, burglars aren't really afraid of what a person in a home may do to them, so much as they're afraid of getting caught.  And they know adding an assault or murder charge to a burglary will make things a thousand times worse, and so will bolt at the first sign of trouble.  The exception to this would be thieves so crazed or drug-addled that they can't reason anymore, but you can't account for the intentions of crazy people anyway.

Always remember, by far the best, most thoroughly proven home defense measure since the dawn of time is still the humble dog.  A thief who might even arrive armed and ready to hurt a person will usually be turned back by a large angry canine, because of the instinctive fear factor and very real threat.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2009, 07:24:21 pm by Aqizzar »
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Fishersalwaysdie

• Bay Watcher
  • Slayer of Threads
    • View Profile
    • http://chupacabra
« Reply #44 on: May 30, 2009, 09:39:36 pm »

I take it the kid was better off dead.
Cannot find self-destruction button, could have sworn it's somewhere here...
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 10