Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10

Author Topic: Shooting dead thieves... Murder(Wrong)? or Right?  (Read 11336 times)

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
Re: Shooting dead thieves... Murder(Wrong)? or Right?
« Reply #120 on: June 03, 2009, 04:33:57 pm »

To be honest, I don't support these "Stand your ground" laws, for two main reasons.

1. It makes the victim judge, jury, and executioner.  It could be easy to lure someone into your house and then shoot them dead.  The thief receives the death penalty for what could have been a small crime.

2. A weapon will usually be used against you.  I suppose if you keep a loaded pistol next to your bed, or something like that, you will probably be able to get the shot in first, but then you have other problems about not securing your firearm correctly, meaning it could be stolen (while your out or asleep) and used by criminals.  I suppose you could keep a baseball bat in your house or something, but that seems even worse - you're half asleep, having just been woken up, while the thief is fully prepared for a fight.

It's obviously different if you are actually attacked - then you may use any force necessary to save your own skin.  However, leathal force shouldn't really be necessary most of the time anyway - once you've, say, broken someone's arm, they aren't bery likely to get up and continue fighting.

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: June 03, 2009, 05:06:58 pm »

Food for though:  A single stab in self-defense that causes the attacker to bleed to death is not considered murder.  However, if the victim were to continue stabbing multiple times (7 or more I think), the victim establishes premeditation, making it murder.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

inaluct

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: June 03, 2009, 07:51:34 pm »

I stand firmly by my points about Oklahoma.

And this guy is going to get let off because:
1. He is white.
2. The kid he murdered was black.
3. He is in Oklahoma. Either he'll have a hung jury a bunch of times, or they'll let him off.

Org

• Bay Watcher
  • Daring Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: June 03, 2009, 07:59:08 pm »

Dont get muted again Inaluct.

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: June 03, 2009, 09:23:19 pm »

Food for though:  A single stab in self-defense that causes the attacker to bleed to death is not considered murder.  However, if the victim were to continue stabbing multiple times (7 or more I think), the victim establishes premeditation, making it murder.

That's why I sleep with a big enough knife underneath my pillow so that it won't take more than one stab and gut.
Even the avatars expire eventually.

inaluct

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: June 04, 2009, 12:02:58 am »

Well, the gagging PM told me that I had to show restraint and not insult large swathes of people on the forum or issue death proclamations. As long as I don't do either of those, I should be fine.

cowofdoom78963

• Bay Watcher
  • check
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: June 04, 2009, 12:15:17 am »

Well, the gagging PM told me that I had to show restraint and not insult large swathes of people on the forum or issue death proclamations. As long as I don't do either of those, I should be fine.
Im sorry for your lots. :(

Frelock

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: June 04, 2009, 07:24:11 pm »

To be honest, I don't support these "Stand your ground" laws, for two main reasons.

1. It makes the victim judge, jury, and executioner.  It could be easy to lure someone into your house and then shoot them dead.  The thief receives the death penalty for what could have been a small crime.

I'm curious, Leaf.  If you are committing armed robbery, and there's a policeman about, he will shoot you.  If you're not looking at him, or he has some cover, he'll be kind enough to tell you to drop the weapon first.  If you do anything besides that, I'm pretty sure it's standard procedure for them to shoot.  Do you support this?  If so, exactly how is it different from a normal person in an armed robbery shooting back?
All generalizations are false....including this one.

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: June 04, 2009, 08:51:25 pm »

That they will most likely be asking the guy to drop his weapon?
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

Frelock

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: June 05, 2009, 07:43:59 am »

So killing someone you feel threatened by is perfectly acceptable, so long as you ask them (politely?) to stop threatening you first?
All generalizations are false....including this one.

Yanlin

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary comedian.
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: June 05, 2009, 07:47:23 am »

Maybe if your attempts at de-escalation failed, then it's okay to shoot. Cops just de-escalate differently.
WE NEED A SLOGAN!

bjlong

• Bay Watcher
  • [INVISIBLE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: June 05, 2009, 09:45:11 am »

Strange that multiple stabs cause you to be a murderer. Most legal knives need to be shoved into flesh many times before the person starts faltering. Knife fights seem to end up with the person with the upper hand stabbing the other one as fast as s/he can until one of them drops.

On the other hand, did you know that hammers are completely legal, and have much better stopping and killing power? Also easier to convince the juries that you were just using an improvised weapon.
I hesitate to click the last spoiler tag because I expect there to be Elder Gods in it or something.

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
  • Where do we go from here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: June 05, 2009, 10:52:53 am »

For me it comes down to one thing-If the robber was still moving when he was the ground, then the guy was justified in shooting him. I'm thinking this was the case-the robber twitched and he unloaded on him, thinking he was going for a another gun.

Otherwise it was murder.

Not that it matters, I don't expect any jury to actually convict him of anything. Dead robbers don't exactly make sympathetic victims.
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

"The hats never coming off."

Yanlin

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary comedian.
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: June 05, 2009, 12:03:55 pm »

That's a good defense you have there.

Except for the fact the robber was unconscious and the guy being robbed walked up to him and executed him.
WE NEED A SLOGAN!

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
  • Where do we go from here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: June 05, 2009, 12:16:00 pm »

For me it comes down to one thing-If the robber was still moving when he was the ground, then the guy was justified in shooting him. I'm thinking this was the case-the robber twitched and he unloaded on him, thinking he was going for a another gun.

Otherwise it was murder.

Not that it matters, I don't expect any jury to actually convict him of anything. Dead robbers don't exactly make sympathetic victims.
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

"The hats never coming off."
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10