Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5

Author Topic: Multitudinous Vermin Mod  (Read 7050 times)

SirHoneyBadger

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware those who would keep knowledge from you.
    • View Profile
Re: Multitudinous Vermin Mod
« Reply #30 on: May 29, 2009, 06:35:41 pm »

These are just placeholders.  8) They're not done yet.
For they would be your masters.

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 29, 2009, 06:49:04 pm »

This looks extremely excellent actually... I love the diversity. With proper use of Biomes, Extracts/Venoms, and Prefstrings, this mod makes great strides in fleshing out those broad tracts of wilderness in Adventure Mode. I'll definitely be following this as it updates.

It's really a pity that there's no way to contain information about individual Vermin with some sort of Extended Look command; a lot of these creatures, specifically the Fanciful sort, will probably be nothing more than a weird name for folks.

Also, I'd love it if Glow Worms emitted local light in Adventure Mode (perhaps if you used the Glowing Eyes thing for them?)

EDIT: I am also rather interested in the Ligaean Worm... how did you manage the 1,000-year young phase leading to a sudden metamorphosis? Also, what is the Adult form like? (I admit to be picturing Shai-Hulud here, BTW)
« Last Edit: May 29, 2009, 06:56:57 pm by Solifuge »

Ursca

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 29, 2009, 07:43:31 pm »

A) Puffins and roadrunners can't fly
Yes, they can.
Edit: Unless you mean that they should fly, but the code says they can't. I haven't checked them.  :P

Org

• Bay Watcher
  • Daring Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 29, 2009, 07:48:36 pm »

My god. Sir Honey Badger, this is amazing.

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 29, 2009, 11:24:01 pm »

[CREATURE:ROCK_LOBSTER]   
[PREFSTRING:motion in the ocean]

Fixed.

Also, some of these are large animals too, yes? Non-Vermin?

SirHoneyBadger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 30, 2009, 02:22:12 am »

That's a very good question!

Sortof yes, sortof no.

Some of them are fairly big (king cobra, for example), but the idea here is that they have a relatively small "signature" on the map (in other words, they're camoflaged, or otherwise hard to see), and they both resemble-and operate in similar ways to-the other vermin in the game.

Some of them will eat your food, for example; and many will be hateable.

None of them are enormous, so you do have a point about the size. At some point there is a size limit that vermin fall under: Wild boars and wild dogs are sometimes considered "vermin" in the real world, but in that case, the size is one of several cutoff points for me. I don't consider size to always be the only decider, though, so it comes down to a matter of my own judgement and preferences, as to what's "vermin", and what isn't.

To give you some examples of the things I take into consideration:

Charisma is a minor factor, for instance: Dogs are never vermin, even if we're talking about a rabid chihuahua.

In the case of the king cobra, it's a pretty big animal (they can grow up to 10 feet long), but it's also solitary, tends to avoid humans when possible, and uses poison as it's main weapon. So it's much less likely that you'll notice them in your area, unless you happen to step on one.

Boars, on the other hand, are smart, powerful, dangerous animals, who are fairly social, so there's often more than one in an area where they are, and they'll happily wander into civilization to steal food. Too big, too noticeable, and too central to medieval life.   

I'd also pick smaller mammals than other animals, when considering what's "vermin" and what isn't. The reason for that is there are plenty of well established "vermin" mammals already, and there's no reason to push the issue.

So the size scale also slides.

There's no one single thing that defines them as "vermin" in every single case. There's even the issue of food to consider, since vermin have their own special "foodsource" category.

It's just my mod and my call, in the end, and some of the choices I've made reflect things I want to tie in to an overall skein--This mod should stand alone, when it's complete, but it's not necessarily *meant* to.

Whether or not a particular critter qualifies for the vermin tag *is* something I put a lot of thought into, though-and I would like my choices to be fairly reasonable/understandable-but I'm just not out to please everyone, here.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2009, 02:30:16 am by SirHoneyBadger »

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 30, 2009, 03:48:52 am »

I can only say one thing.

Holy shit.

Org

• Bay Watcher
  • Daring Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 30, 2009, 08:03:37 am »

I have a question:

What is a jelly head? I've never heard of it before.

DennyTom

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Urist!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 30, 2009, 08:08:34 am »

Do you plan to add more PREF_STRINGs? Or you will leave them as they are?
It is so much easier to measure life in experience points...

SirHoneyBadger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 30, 2009, 08:16:06 am »

Org: It's a rare and peculiar variety of octopus, known for it's unusually amorphous, translucent, dome-like head, which vaguely resembles certain varieties of jellyfish, and which it has the ability to shift the color of, into a variety of different richly-coloured, luminescent hues, and which I may or may not have made up on the spot.

Most of these are real critters, but a few are original creations--although damned if I can remember which ones, exactly.

I searched for it in Wikipedia, which is where I got many of these from, but the fact that I couldn't locate it leads me to believe I might have just come up with a fun sounding animal, after reading a little too much about octopi and jellyfish.

There's something over 400 entries, so far, and I'm aiming for around 650, total, so keeping them all straight in my poor tired head is improbable.

DennyTom: Yes, there will be a great deal of editing going on with these, and I plan to concentrate especially on PREF_STRINGS. Infact, if you or anyone else wants to suggest some, that would be very helpful!
« Last Edit: May 30, 2009, 08:20:56 am by SirHoneyBadger »

Nivim

• Bay Watcher
  • Has the asylum forgotten? Are they still the same?
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 30, 2009, 08:40:28 am »

Are you going to expand on the birds? You've named many types of pigeon, but have neglected other types of bird, like macaws and the variety of finches.
Imagine a cool peice of sky-blue and milk-white marble about 3cm by 2cm and by 0.5cm, containing a tiny 2mm malacolite crystal. Now imagine the miles of metamorphic rock it's embedded in that no pick or chisel will ever touch. Then, imagine that those miles will melt back into their mantle long before any telescope even refracts an image of their planet. The watchers will be so excited to have that image too.

SirHoneyBadger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 30, 2009, 06:37:29 pm »

Yeah, I'll probably have more birds than anything else, actually. You'll notice, I've reserved two more sections for them, and I plan to fill all three, completely.

I've got some naming conventions in use here (no-or almost no-names that involve either real Earth places, and no-or almost no-names for animals that have the person who discovered them. EG no 'Colorado Bluejay', no 'Darwin's Finch', etc. Any exceptions are either coincidental, or invoke the "rule of cool". The nice thing about birds is there's so many of them, and they're so visible-compared to, say, deep sea life-that there's a lot of good names to use that'll fit. It makes it easy to just add them.

By the way, has anyone else noticed mention of a "description paragraph" in the Creatures section of the new update?

If it's what it seems to be, it might allay your concerns about the fanciful etc vermin, Solifuge, while at the same time making my job both far more difficult, and far more interesting.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2009, 06:43:04 pm by SirHoneyBadger »

Red Fortune

• Bay Watcher
  • [ALWAYS_CONFUSED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 31, 2009, 06:30:26 am »

I'm speechless.

How long did this take you? This is awesome!
"These humans only worship one god. Can you believe it?"
"Man, if I had to decide between the god of magma and the god of rubies, I just don't think I could handle it."

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 31, 2009, 07:22:41 am »

A lot of things need fixes though... And you'd better make it on-the-fly, it will be hard to return back to the sea of creatures to fix it :).

1) Main problem. Some creatures are already in the raws as common critters (non-vermin) so it will cause an error due to duplicated entries.
2) Many creatures have not-so-good biome settings. I.e. most of the ground creatures have GRASSLAND and something else so you won't see a lot of them in other biomes. Also some of creatures like parrots should be common in jungle and not in grassland.

Good luck with it!
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 31, 2009, 07:38:18 am »

[CREATURE:ROADRUNNER]
   [NAME:roadrunner:roadrunners:roadrunner]
   [TILE:249][COLOR:0:0:1]
   [VERMIN_GROUNDER][FREQUENCY:100]
   [POPULATION_NUMBER:250:500]
   [FLIER]
   [SMALL_REMAINS]
   [SPEED:400]
   [PETVALUE:30][NATURAL][PET]