Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: [SIEGER] +[INTELLIGENT]  (Read 896 times)

Luraien

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
[SIEGER] +[INTELLIGENT]
« on: May 29, 2009, 03:50:36 pm »

I'm adding a few new civs into my DF including Dark Elves and Orcs, probably been done before but I'm just challenging myself. I've learnt that making other Civs attack you is done by removing [INTELLIGENT] and putting [CAN_LEARN][CAN_CIV] instead.

Though reading through the modding guide I noticed [SIEGER]. My question is, does this make a civ seige you while being [INTELLIGENT]? I've tried modding before and had Wizard caravans and no sieges at all, so before I test this out I just thought it would be worth asking here.

Zai

• Bay Watcher
  • Elmo? Is that a SIMPLE UTENSIL?
    • View Profile
Re: [SIEGER] +[INTELLIGENT]
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2009, 04:39:56 pm »

I'm adding a few new civs into my DF including Dark Elves and Orcs, probably been done before but I'm just challenging myself. I've learnt that making other Civs attack you is done by removing [INTELLIGENT] and putting [CAN_LEARN][CAN_CIV] instead.

The [INTELLIGENT] tag is a combination of the tags [CAN_LEARN], [CAN_CIV], and [CAN_SPEAK]. Replacing [INTELLIGENT] with just [CAN_LEARN] and [CAN_CIV] is done to increase tensions between the civs, as they can't communicate with each other (even if they would have had different language files anyway).

I'm pretty sure the [SIEGER] tag just allows the races to siege regardless of other tags. Not being able to talk would just increase the likelihood of the races being at odds, which would result in more sieges.

But this is just what I remember off the top of my head. I may have something wrong, but I'm pretty sure it's correct.
DEATH has been waiting for you. He has poured you some TEA.

Rysith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2009, 04:56:28 pm »

[SIEGER] makes them light a campfire and hang around on the edges of the fortress for several months before invading. It doesn't affect their desire to attack your fortress at all.

removing [CAN_SPEAK] prevents diplomacy, which leads to wars. In general, when two civs can speak with each other they will be at peace with each other, with the exception of [skulking] or [babysnatcher] civs, which are hard-coded to be hostile.
Lanternwebs: a community fort
Try my orc mod!
The OP deserves the violent Dwarven equivalent of the Nobel Peace Prize.

Luraien

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2009, 05:17:47 pm »

This all makes sense, thanks ;D

I did everything as said above so hopefully I'll have flying Dark Elves and giant Orcs sieging soon. If they're both at war with eachother (should be not having the [CAN_SPEAK] tag) I can't wait to see them sieging and killing eachother at the same time. I'll keep this updated!

nil

• Bay Watcher
  • whoa
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2009, 07:59:19 pm »

This all makes sense, thanks ;D

I did everything as said above so hopefully I'll have flying Dark Elves and giant Orcs sieging soon. If they're both at war with eachother (should be not having the [CAN_SPEAK] tag) I can't wait to see them sieging and killing eachother at the same time. I'll keep this updated!
They don't have to be at war with each other to fight if they meet on your map; they should do that as long as they don't have the [INVADERS_IGNORE_NEUTRALS] tag.  However, I'm not sure the game really allows for simultaneous invasions; I played a map for almost 30 game years on a mod with 8 sieging enemy civs and don't remember them ever fighting one another.  All would attack traders mercilessly though, even if they had the same ethics.

Kumagoro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2009, 05:49:38 am »

[SIEGER] makes them light a campfire and hang around on the edges of the fortress for several months before invading. It doesn't affect their desire to attack your fortress at all.

removing [CAN_SPEAK] prevents diplomacy, which leads to wars. In general, when two civs can speak with each other they will be at peace with each other, with the exception of [skulking] or [babysnatcher] civs, which are hard-coded to be hostile.

Wars can still happen between speaking civs. I had my 2 intelligent civs at war, which led to funny stuff when the caravans came (usually 2 at once)

Luraien

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2009, 10:01:08 am »

I just had two Dark Elf ambushes at once, quite impressed with the result! Though they had wings they chose to run in, think I missed out a flying tag somewhere. Apart from that it went well. They were mainly wrestlers and bowmen as planned, didn't go as bad as I expected.

I made the Orcs live in caves and Dark Elves in towns, so I don't think I'll be seeing anything of Orcs on this map. They didn't show up in neighbouring civs D:

Update: Orcs are in my 'C' screen now, awesome. Not sure when they made an appearance but they're there!

Update: Orcs just sieged and I got my ass kicked. Gonna make it so Dark Elves can fly and maybe make Orcs bigger.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2009, 12:30:39 pm by Luraien »