Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Dwarven Sunchambers  (Read 1527 times)

varkarrus

• Bay Watcher
  • Insanity and a knife go well together.
    • View Profile
Dwarven Sunchambers
« on: May 29, 2009, 11:37:26 am »

Inspired by supernovas.

Dwarves, using a mix of magic and incomprehensibly large amounts of magicly produced hydrogen, would create a massive, dense ball of fire in a building that takes a while to complete called a sunchamber. After a while, dwarves will deem it "unsafe to visit", and magma will begin leaking out. Afterwards, a lot of magma flows out, and the sunchamber opens up. Inside is various elements ranging from hydrogen to iron, with a bit of heavier elements. There would have to be a LOT of these metals to be worth using.
Dip Stick! The newest candy! Just dip it, then lick it!
Or try FUBAR! The best chocolate bar ever!
And you can't eat them, either, sadly. Even though it'd make sieges so much more fun; dwarves lining the walls, drooling and carrying sharp knives and forks, ready for the upcoming meals.

chucks

• Bay Watcher
  • Have Cutlass -- Will Travel
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarven Sunchambers
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2009, 12:51:58 pm »

I think that nuclear physics is far outside the realm of a medieval fantasy game.
Computer says 'No'.

varkarrus

• Bay Watcher
  • Insanity and a knife go well together.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2009, 12:58:56 pm »

But it's MAGIC! And quite dwarven.
Dip Stick! The newest candy! Just dip it, then lick it!
Or try FUBAR! The best chocolate bar ever!
And you can't eat them, either, sadly. Even though it'd make sieges so much more fun; dwarves lining the walls, drooling and carrying sharp knives and forks, ready for the upcoming meals.

chucks

• Bay Watcher
  • Have Cutlass -- Will Travel
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2009, 01:09:24 pm »

I don't like the idea of magicians being technomancers in a fantasy setting.
Computer says 'No'.

Silverionmox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2009, 01:25:34 pm »

But it's MAGIC! And quite dwarven.
Not quite, it's obviously technological. I suggest you keep the suggestion for Slaves of Armok III: Nanobot colony.
Dwarf Fortress cured my savescumming.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2009, 01:39:00 pm »

Why can dwarves directly produce hydrogen by magic, but not heavier elements?

On second thought, I'm probably getting trolled.

Idiom

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_THOUGHT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2009, 02:34:19 pm »

"Greetings comrades! Me and my fellow Elves eek trade with you and your legendary craftsdwarves!"

(Aside) "Oh Armok. Elves"
"Yes, yes! Of course. Right this way! Our depot is in the chamber right behind that door."

"The door with the glowing light 'round the edges and the piles of soot nearby?"

"Yes, it's, errr, very well lit. That's a deterrent to thieves you see. I'll have to ask you to leave all caged animals outside here for their- I mean, your safety. If you'll excuse me I'm going to go hide behind that steel barrier over there. I uhhhh.... need to take a leak."

kalida99

• Bay Watcher
  • ಠ_ರೃ
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2009, 03:02:23 pm »

How about just a small orb of light, made with magic, that produces light in said room preventing cave adaptation.
Let's see how those degenerate sophisticates handle a healthy dose of pure unreasoning violence.
— Commander Fleyitch

irmo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2009, 03:57:54 pm »

Please don't feed the troll.

kalida99

• Bay Watcher
  • ಠ_ರೃ
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2009, 04:17:23 pm »

Please don't feed the troll.

uhhh troll???
(yes i know what a troll is)
i just thought my idea was pretty good
Let's see how those degenerate sophisticates handle a healthy dose of pure unreasoning violence.
— Commander Fleyitch

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2009, 04:34:12 pm »

Wouldn't the whole thing be so hot that there wouldn't even be a fortress, just a glassy pit with some magma at the bottom and being so hot that you couldn't even get within 100 miles of it? Realistically anyways.

Still, doing atomic fusion (atomic fission is what happens in nuclear plants and atomic bombs) is technologically beyond what the level is in DF. Not to mention magic isn't even in.

In fact, we are probably close to achieving stellar fusion, but we aren't there yet.

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
  • Hobby: accidently thread derailment
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2009, 06:12:47 pm »

We are near enought. It isnt self-sustaining yet thats why many mayor scientists on the field want the ITER reactor build very soon. Thats because in it you can start a bigger reaction which should sustain itself - according to some calculations.

Anyway even for magic arc this to much. What real use would it have anyway?
« Last Edit: May 29, 2009, 06:17:38 pm by Heph »
[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2009, 06:14:17 pm »

In fact, we are probably close to achieving stellar fusion, but we aren't there yet.
We're (humans) actually developing fusion reactors at this very moment.  Much sooner than warp travel.  I don't see how we'll have the ability to fuse stellar objects before that.

Of course it would help if it turned out that stellar fusion is not what its name suggests.

That said, Kalida's idea sounds very good, OP's idea sounds a bit convoluted (sorry).  Sounds a bit game-breaking, too.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2009, 06:20:27 pm »

We're (humans) actually developing fusion reactors at this very moment.  Much sooner than warp travel.  I don't see how we'll have the ability to fuse stellar objects before that.

Of course it would help if it turned out that stellar fusion is not what its name suggests.

That said, Kalida's idea sounds very good, OP's idea sounds a bit convoluted (sorry).  Sounds a bit game-breaking, too.

I was talking about atomic fusion......

Anyways, I'd have to agree here, it seems rather gamebreaking.

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2009, 07:45:11 pm »

Ah.  Thanks for clearing that up.  Strange that it has two names.

Anyway.  What kind of things would one need to make a small ball of light for illumination and cave-adaptation prevention?  In a magical sense, that is.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember
Pages: [1] 2