Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: DnD advice?  (Read 2261 times)

Okenido

• Bay Watcher
  • Loli Advocate
    • View Profile
    • New Various Nonsense
Re: DnD advice?
« Reply #15 on: May 30, 2009, 01:50:13 am »

Well the best way is to figure out what your friends are interested in.

Mostly:
Roleplay vs. Diablo with a world made up by the GM.
Serious vs. Humorous.
How many types of dice you want.
Simple Combat System vs. Complex combat system.
And Genre.

I recommend 4.0 D&D for more combat oriented campaigns.
3.5 for roleplay oriented.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 30, 2009, 02:01:30 am »

But do know that 4.0 doesn't lag too far behind 3.5 when it comes to roleplay in the same way that 3.5 doesn't lag too far behind combat.

The major difference is that 4.0 allows people unskilled to use their status as a hero to pull off amazing feats. So you often don't get roles having "Exclusive rights". Which can be a possitive and a negative depending on who your playing with (people who play Rogues would probably be pretty ticked)

The better reason to chose 4.0 over 3.5 though would also be its ability to be easily picked up and played and is EXCELLENT for groups of inexperienced and experienced players as you don't get the power gap caused by people who know the math extencively.

Heck if they are new to Dungeons and Dragons and getting people to play isn't a big deal... seriously go with 4e.

Note: I am not intentionally disagreeing with you Okenido. You just keep making me remember things I havn't thought of.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2009, 02:03:39 am by Neonivek »

Okenido

• Bay Watcher
  • Loli Advocate
    • View Profile
    • New Various Nonsense
« Reply #17 on: May 30, 2009, 02:27:46 am »

I only read the books most of the time.

So your opinion does hold more value than mine at the moment.

yamo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 30, 2009, 02:34:17 am »

My favorite experience (D&D-ish) was with a friend's young son.  I gave him 2d6 and started an adventure with "you walk in to a pub..."  i created, on the fly, opportunities for adventure, puzzles, combat...interesting choices.  No modules, no guide books(yay!), no absurd dice roling(saving rolls?  what the hell is a saving roll?).  Very fuzzy combat logic.  just a story unfolding based on what he chose to do in situations.  It worked out great.  Remember D&D is, at its best, just a fancy game of Let's Pretend.
Then again, I consider Infinity to be overly ambitious, something that might easily spell it's downfall.

-Blackthorne

Errol

• Bay Watcher
  • Heaven or Hell, Duel 1 -- Let's Rock!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 30, 2009, 03:23:41 am »

So you essentially played a round of Roll to Dodge with him? (Without the insanity, of course)
Girls are currently preparing signature, please wait warmly until it is ready.

yamo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 30, 2009, 10:43:06 am »

i have not heard of Roll to Dodge...we just called it "that game"
Then again, I consider Infinity to be overly ambitious, something that might easily spell it's downfall.

-Blackthorne

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 30, 2009, 10:49:46 am »

better bindings on the PHB

Does that apply to the Monster Manual as well?  My sister lost mine, and when I found the rest of it over a year later, the cover was completely missing.  Now it's dying a slow death, with the first and last pages slowly being crumpled up and tearing away.

My PHB is missing its binding too, the DM Guide is the only one in remotely decent shape, and even it's starting to tear along the spine.
Shoes...

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 30, 2009, 08:21:07 pm »

The 3.0 PHB had a -notoriously- bad binding.  I don't know anything about the MM one sucking, mine was good...but everyone's PHB had a bad spine.
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

Ioric Kittencuddler

• Bay Watcher
  • Multiclass Bard/Kitten trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 30, 2009, 08:54:51 pm »

i have not heard of Roll to Dodge...we just called it "that game"

It's basically what you described as "that game".  There's no real rules except that you have a GM and player(s) and a d6.  Then the player(s) attempt actions and their success is determined by a d6 roll higher the better.  Everything else is made up on the fly.  D&D isn't just "let's pretend" because of the rules.  If it didn't have any rules then yes it would be "let's pretend".
Come see the MOST interesting Twitter account on the internet!  Mine!

Don't worry!  Be happy!  It's the law!

Ampersand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 30, 2009, 10:26:04 pm »

Try out Fudge, too. You can get the free edition http://www.fudgerpg.com/files/pdf/fudge_1995.pdf <- there.
!!&!!
Pages: 1 [2]