Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 165 166 [167] 168 169 ... 171

Author Topic: Haven and Hearth  (Read 209529 times)

ductape

• Bay Watcher
  • MAD BOMBER
    • View Profile
    • Alchemy WebDev
Re: Haven and Hearth
« Reply #2490 on: September 07, 2009, 09:06:46 pm »

I decided to try this out, but I can't seem to connect.

save yourself the future carpel tunnel syndrome, the clicky grind is hell. I dunno, guess these guys like it. Probably due to heavy use of AutoHotKey, which can be fun in and of itself.

They should just include macro tools in the game client to make the grind tolerable.
I got nothing

Dragooble

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2491 on: September 07, 2009, 09:18:06 pm »

i have no clue how to do mouse commands in auto-hotkey if it's even possible.
A creature the size of europe can occupy only one tile.

ductape

• Bay Watcher
  • MAD BOMBER
    • View Profile
    • Alchemy WebDev
« Reply #2492 on: September 07, 2009, 10:21:37 pm »

In fact, AutoHotKey comes with an easy mouse action recorder that you can simply play back your movements and clicks. This is very handy because in this game, you character is not always centered on the screen.

If you were centered, it would be fairly simple to make macros that did everything, including play the game for you.
I got nothing

Frelock

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2493 on: September 07, 2009, 11:24:03 pm »

To keep your character centered, type
Code: [Select]
:cam fixedwhile in the main screen
All generalizations are false....including this one.

Pillow_Killer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2494 on: September 07, 2009, 11:26:23 pm »

Well good (*@^#&@ game. On map reset, found a small river, like, it would take 2-3 seconds to walkacross it. Moved into it, instadrowned. GG, R.I.P Phoebos, 2.06.09 - 7.09.09, more than 700k LP, and full change.
Quote from: x2yzh9
every man faps to every person he knows/likes. I've done that for about 2 girls that I've liked really, and it's because they have big boobs. 'Nuff said amirite?

kholhaus

• Bay Watcher
  • Pissed and Inspired
    • View Profile
« Reply #2495 on: September 07, 2009, 11:44:08 pm »

You know, there IS a good reason to read what goes on in the forums.

Also. There's a warning in the swimming lore text. And Jorb sent out multiple warnings.

You need atleast 40 constitution to even start swimming, as it drains stamina very quickly.

DON'T TRY TO SWIM CROSS A RIVER.
Kholhaus has been inspired recently.
Kholhaus has lost a favorite to tragedy recently.

Rakonas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2496 on: September 08, 2009, 12:04:24 am »

Well good (*@^#&@ game. On map reset, found a small river, like, it would take 2-3 seconds to walkacross it. Moved into it, instadrowned. GG, R.I.P Phoebos, 2.06.09 - 7.09.09, more than 700k LP, and full change.
The only thing I don't get about this, is why don't you have decent enough con to not insta-drown

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #2497 on: September 08, 2009, 01:10:54 am »

No swimming skill, most likely.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Frelock

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2498 on: September 08, 2009, 02:16:25 am »

No, not having the swimming skill only prevents you from going into deep water (hence why I don't plan on getting it until I have the CON to back it up).  Insta-drowning is far too problematic, in my opinion.  This isn't a rogue-like, where you fail, learn and try again; it's a game where you invest a significant amount of time into a character.
All generalizations are false....including this one.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #2499 on: September 08, 2009, 02:32:48 am »

Just treat the water as being infested with demonic zombie carp. But seriously, bridge building and basic boats/rafts should be implemented double quick.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2500 on: September 08, 2009, 04:22:46 am »

So anyone trekking to SwampCrazed??
Quote from: Ubiq
Broker: Wasn't there an ambush squad here just a second ago?
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?
My LIVESTREAM. I'm Aussie, so not everything is clean. Least it works...

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2501 on: September 08, 2009, 04:36:49 am »

I am not a fan of how they implemented the new swimming system... its harsh, unforgiving, and generally broken. Its something that players will have to experiment with in order to see if they can ever pull it off, and carries the likely possibility of instantaneous and unavoidable death as soon as players try to test their swimming skill. On top of that, it is designed to trap players that lag into the water, or worse lose their connection when moving in a direction towards it, and will STILL kill players who disconnect.

That, coupled with the new map that requires swimming to reach many areas, and the fact that there are no adequate in-game warnings ("dont swim unless you can handle it" is not a warning or a guideline, so much as a temptation) makes it a broken mechanic that imposes the ultimate punishment, and often has imposed this punishment just for playing while the server lags.

Beyond what I might suggest to the dev. team, I can't say what they should do, but it's presently a terrible system, and it needs to be changed soon. That, or they need to revise some core game mechanics, such as those that necessitate endless stat grinding, and those that allow you lose most of your game progress upon death.

</rant>

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2502 on: September 08, 2009, 04:41:54 am »

You really shouldn't buy swimming. If you did, avoid water for a day or two. Im 99% sure the devs will make it a toggle, like criminal acts.
Urist, President has immigrated to your fortress!
Urist, President mandates the Dwarven Bill of Rights.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2503 on: September 08, 2009, 06:37:47 am »

Oh how I have tried to trek to SwampCrazies. The client keeps on freezing on me when I reach the end of the first river. Although the fact that I took down many a fox on the way there without too much trouble is rather nice to think about.

And people on the forums have speculated that one needs a good 80 CON to reliably cross a river. This, coupled with the fact that they speculate the plant needed to prospect for an iron mine is in a mountain region and thus across water...

Well, don't expect a decent mine soon.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Cajoes

• Bay Watcher
  • "I'm a damn cat."
    • View Profile
    • http://none
« Reply #2504 on: September 08, 2009, 06:57:21 am »

Argh! The map reset and I was not notified!?

*runs cross-country with a cheese rack over his head*
Quote from: Roman Proverb
Do not argue against the sun. For it is a lot brighter than you are.
Pages: 1 ... 165 166 [167] 168 169 ... 171