Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 157 158 [159] 160 161 ... 171

Author Topic: Haven and Hearth  (Read 209704 times)

Leonon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Haven and Hearth
« Reply #2370 on: September 02, 2009, 09:49:10 pm »

I just started playing and made it to the town, should I be doing anything specific or should I just play around while waiting for the world to end?

Blaze

• Bay Watcher
  • The Chaos that Crawls up on you with a Smile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2371 on: September 02, 2009, 11:39:01 pm »

The name of the game is getting LP and building up your stats, all in preparation for the coming Ragnarok.

If you're new, I suggest harvesting (and replanting mind you) the crops and making different kinds of food.
Apple pies for constitution, Carrot cakes for perception, raisin cakes for charisma, and beer for strength.

When you finally get cheesemaking, you can start cranking out different cheeses for faster gain.

You can also trade your extra foods for sausages.

kholhaus

• Bay Watcher
  • Pissed and Inspired
    • View Profile
« Reply #2372 on: September 02, 2009, 11:50:46 pm »

From what I've read, lurking about is that stats and skills are being reset, while stored LP will be saved. So it's a grind for LP.
Kholhaus has been inspired recently.
Kholhaus has lost a favorite to tragedy recently.

Blaze

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2373 on: September 03, 2009, 03:53:04 am »

I'm pretty sure we'll get to keep our skills like Melee, unarmed and stuff.
Stats I'm unsure about though.

Rakonas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2374 on: September 03, 2009, 04:05:51 am »

I'm pretty sure we'll get to keep our skills like Melee, unarmed and stuff.
Stats I'm unsure about though.
What about skills as in yeomanry, sericulture,etc.

Blaze

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2375 on: September 03, 2009, 04:13:42 am »

I think we'll be able to keep those; at most they'll get turned back into LP, so you'll just have to rebuy them.

Delamore

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2376 on: September 03, 2009, 05:10:26 am »

From what I've read, lurking about is that stats and skills are being reset, while stored LP will be saved. So it's a grind for LP.
I don't know what the fuck you read, but stats and skills are being saved same with stored LP.
It would be really stupid as hell to keep stored LP and I don't know how you could believe that.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2377 on: September 03, 2009, 09:23:53 am »

Frankly I think they should eventually start everything over. There were a lot of problems with the game so a lot of people left it, and it won't be too nice to have people ridiculously stronger then you all over the place when you have things like allowing PvP and theivery.

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2378 on: September 03, 2009, 12:42:01 pm »

Frankly I think they should eventually start everything over. There were a lot of problems with the game so a lot of people left it, and it won't be too nice to have people ridiculously stronger then you all over the place when you have things like allowing PvP and theivery.

I would agree. Gaining skill points is really the only Character Goal at present, and is awfully Grindy at present, but it is what makes exploration and building fun. As an aside, I don't like the introduction of quality and several hundred different skill levels that are coming; In general, you don't fix a game that goal that's too easy to reach by adding more unnecessary Grinding.

Anyway, for now I am training in skills, trying to learn as many crafts as possible. I assume its pretty normal to have every skill unlocked before you bother with increasing Exploration/Marksmanship, etc.?

Frelock

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2379 on: September 04, 2009, 02:42:17 am »

Yea, pretty normal; though you might want to hold off on Lawspeaking, Rage, and Tresspassing for a while until you actually have some use for them.  All are extremely expensive, and the latter two require good combat/stealth respectively(though stealth is somewhat broken at the moment).  Also, I'd suggest not buying any sort of combat upgrade until the map reset; looks like you can use LP to up your crafts too.
All generalizations are false....including this one.

KoE

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2380 on: September 04, 2009, 03:31:54 pm »

... With the large caveat that any new settlement is likely to experience routine fox raids of an indeterminate level for a while, at least until we get enough infrastructure to civilize the area. Granted, it will likely prove impossible to get a high enough combat level to do anything about foxes above level 3 or 4 before the map reset, so it's likely moot.

Blaze

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2381 on: September 05, 2009, 11:03:01 pm »

Map reset on Monday, 6PM server time.

If you want to inflict scent-death on whomever, I suggest you do it before then.
Also, declaim before the reset, or you lose the LP.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2009, 11:05:19 pm by Blaze »

KoE

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2382 on: September 05, 2009, 11:20:29 pm »

6 PM GMT, actually, according to Vanigo. (UTC is another term for it).

We're gonna be rallying at the Bottleneck forums to determine how we proceed into this brave new world. There's also the IRC at Quakenet, in channel DFHH. Keep in mind the latter is probably going to be all of us running around in circles screaming about how we're doomed, though.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #2383 on: September 05, 2009, 11:36:48 pm »

While I don't want to actually associate with any community, will you mind if I settle as a hermit near the New Bottleneck? Btw, will you still look for a hemmed-in space to settle?
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

KoE

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2384 on: September 06, 2009, 12:02:20 am »

I doubt anyone would mind.

As far as what we're looking for, that's a bit in-flux - we know we'll want at least decent soil quality, access to at least an iron mine, and likely water accessibility, among other things. Defense is a fairly low priority, I think, as we can create that artificially. Time will tell. It also may well be a function of how much manpower we have.

I've also made a topic on the BN forums that will (hopefully) help us keep some semblance of organization in this endeavor. It's probably not fully thought out, so any suggestions about how we go about it are welcome too.
Pages: 1 ... 157 158 [159] 160 161 ... 171