Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 154 155 [156] 157 158 ... 171

Author Topic: Haven and Hearth  (Read 209744 times)

Poltifar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Haven and Hearth
« Reply #2325 on: August 20, 2009, 07:13:31 am »

Walled roads? That is insane. With the size of the new world, and thus the distances between the settlements, making even simple fences following the roads would be impossible, while palisades and brick walls...

Also, even if we somehow manage to do that, we'd need atleast 30 people who do nothing but constantly maintain/repair/patrol these walls.
<@Poltifar> yeah i've played life for almost 23 years
<@Poltifar> i specced myself into a corner, i should just reroll
<@Akroma> eh
<@Akroma> just play the minigames until your subscription runs out

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #2326 on: August 20, 2009, 09:23:39 am »

Plus, you'll create a barrier for anyone trying to cross the road, effectively walling off a huge area between the villages...

Hmmm  ::)

This one thread is mine. MIIIIINE!!! And it will remain a happy, friendly, encouraging place, whether you lot like it or not. 
will rena,eme sique to sique sxds-- siquo if sucessufil
(cant spel siqou a. every speling looks wroing (hate this))

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2327 on: August 20, 2009, 09:29:57 am »

Plus, you'll create a barrier for anyone trying to cross the road, effectively walling off a huge area between the villages...

Quite clearly the ideal place for suburbs.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Errol

• Bay Watcher
  • Heaven or Hell, Duel 1 -- Let's Rock!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2328 on: August 20, 2009, 09:35:45 am »

Walled roads? That is insane. With the size of the new world, and thus the distances between the settlements, making even simple fences following the roads would be impossible, while palisades and brick walls...

Also, even if we somehow manage to do that, we'd need atleast 30 people who do nothing but constantly maintain/repair/patrol these walls.

Weeell. We ARE Dwarf Fortress players, right? The insane plan is the best plan! What are you, sober? :P
Girls are currently preparing signature, please wait warmly until it is ready.

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2329 on: August 20, 2009, 02:25:51 pm »

Ah, It feels like we are connecting...
Nah I didn't mean completely Walled, hence if you look I got the ' ' around it, in other words something that will make that road ours. So no one can camp it or settle down on it. I can see Highway Men coming from the Goons with brains some time in the future when Trade comes Important...

Hahaha, Imagine finding a line of Runestones or something that all say...
Stand and Deliver!!!
Quote from: Ubiq
Broker: Wasn't there an ambush squad here just a second ago?
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?
My LIVESTREAM. I'm Aussie, so not everything is clean. Least it works...

Morsigil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2330 on: August 20, 2009, 03:59:45 pm »

Medieval Europe had very little in the way of trade, but when it finally became feasible to trade on the seas again the merchant class sprang up rapidly and was just as quickly preyed upon by all the cast-offs of feudal farmsteads (I.E. extra sons who were not needed around the farm became brigands and mercenaries).

Brigands were so bad that every village in medieval Europe had walls. Merchants often moved from castle to castle as they traveled the very dangerous, decayed roads of the Roman Empire, which local lords did not feel inclined to patrol or repair.

In other words, if trade works anything like it did in real life with caravans or even single people with carts, we're going to need to set up warehouses in cities we trade with regularly, law speakers who can deal with that city in the case of problems, and "castles" along the roads which can be maintained by powerful warriors (knights), who are supplemented by the cities with coin or steel, land, whatever. Valuable goods in quantities that make it worth maintaining roads and safety.

Assuming there -is- a brigand problem, that trade is sufficiently stymied by them, and those who trade and those who benefit from traders are willing to part with goods or coin for the benefit of themselves and others.

As it stands, if trade becomes profitable and common, most people who go to trade in other towns will at least need hired guards or friends to travel with them and fight off the foxes, not to mention the monsters that will eventually be in play.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2331 on: August 20, 2009, 05:06:42 pm »

I've been thinking: The system under development for danger has the danger of wildlife increase as one moved away from densely civilized areas. This strikes me as a little odd, as if one moves out far enough they encounter god-foxes that could lay waste to small villages as per old Bottleneck. The idea I was musing about was that there is a baseline savageness, one around level five or so. While towns and hearthfires could drive away the savageness, there could be various things that emit savageness. Thus a settler wandering across a plain a millions miles from civilization could encounter a few foxes or birds that might nibble at him but flee if he resists, The warrior trying to brave the Sorrow Swamps would be attacked by viscous monsters.

So yes, have the wild areas be determined by features like forests, swamps, mountains and monsters. No not creatures or predators, monsters.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #2332 on: August 21, 2009, 11:42:20 am »

I'm going to annoy everyone again, but... viscous monsters? I thought most monsters are very viscous, unless you happen upon some air, fire, or water elementals...

That said, yeah - lairs would definetly be nice. Especially if the lairs themselves were massive underground complexes filled with monstrocities beyond comprehension. And especially if a sufficiently powerful group would be able to traverse these complexes down to their very heart, and by killing the god-monster within they could eliminate the lair's negative effect, so that usual settlers could come in and start farming.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Ai Shizuka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2333 on: August 21, 2009, 02:16:14 pm »

Before someone freaks out and thinks I'm a thief or something, I'm coming at Bottleneck to take a look. This thread introduced me to the game, after all, so I want to see your place.

Character Shizu: harmless. Not looking for trouble.

EDIT: holy shit, I'm impressed. I didn't expect such a magnificent place. Kudos to everyone.

Also, what are poppy flowers for? Never seen them before. I've harvested one from an unclaimed area.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2009, 02:43:41 pm by Ai Shizuka »

Hound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2334 on: August 21, 2009, 02:48:44 pm »

Alright I'm pretty much confused... I entered the game, made a character and all that, then I just kinda wandered around, saw a bunch of land I couldn't walk on cause it was owned by people and a dickload of baskets EVERYWHERE.  Is there an in game map?  Or... I dunno... any trees anywhere in the world that are not owned by someone?  Cause currently every single feature I've seen more interesting than a cliff has been someone else's property...

Poltifar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2335 on: August 21, 2009, 08:59:05 pm »

Alright I'm pretty much confused... I entered the game, made a character and all that, then I just kinda wandered around, saw a bunch of land I couldn't walk on cause it was owned by people and a dickload of baskets EVERYWHERE.  Is there an in game map?  Or... I dunno... any trees anywhere in the world that are not owned by someone?  Cause currently every single feature I've seen more interesting than a cliff has been someone else's property...

Well yeah, currently everything worthwhile is owned by someone, otherwise thieves and griefers would dismantle and steal it in mere moments. And dont expect to find any trees anywhere near the starting area.
<@Poltifar> yeah i've played life for almost 23 years
<@Poltifar> i specced myself into a corner, i should just reroll
<@Akroma> eh
<@Akroma> just play the minigames until your subscription runs out

Hound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2336 on: August 21, 2009, 11:27:17 pm »

sigh... lol.  IMO there should be some unclaimable resources near the starting area.  Kinda sucks having to walk for hours before finding anything you can skill up with.  Also, I haven't seen any actual people either what's up with that?  Just bad luck?  It's like walking through a huge, barren ghost world, there's all these random little signs but no actual people, and I am too unskilled to do anything that does not involve trees (as far as I know)...   

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #2337 on: August 22, 2009, 11:59:00 am »

I think we should put forth a suggestion that every new character (not a reincarnated character) should start with enough LP to pick a pair of starting skills, or just a pair of starting skills that the player chooses.

I don't remember already whether or not fishing is given to the player at the start, but I think it isn't, and it should - because the player is given a fishing pole. The player should also be able to perform basic tasks like digging from the get-go.

Currently, the only stuff you can do to gain experience without trees is chipping rock from boulders. Without trees or boulders, there's absolutely no way for a beginning player to gain LP, afaik.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Hound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2338 on: August 22, 2009, 12:21:10 pm »

yeah you can collect clay too...   you can't use it for anything, but you can collect that shit all day long.

sonerohi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2339 on: August 22, 2009, 12:57:25 pm »

GO. GO LOOK AT THE UPDATE SECTION. DELICIOUS TASTY PREVIEWS. OH MY YES.
I picked up the stone and carved my name into the wind.
Pages: 1 ... 154 155 [156] 157 158 ... 171