Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 153 154 [155] 156 157 ... 171

Author Topic: Haven and Hearth  (Read 209749 times)

Malicus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Haven and Hearth
« Reply #2310 on: August 17, 2009, 08:41:50 pm »

Hrm.  Myself, I'm very much against the idea of a full character reset...  except for the fact that some griefers would probably camp the RoB to kill people at the start.  Maybe if the devs disabled the black skills for some amount of time after the reset, so everyone can actually GET AWAY FROM THE RoB before fighting each other, then it'd work.  I suppose I'd deal with a full reset if that weren't an option, assuming I decided to start playing again after the map reset.

Ai Shizuka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2311 on: August 18, 2009, 11:11:12 am »

Anyone interested in 4 sprouted firs?
Gonna plant them in 40-50 minutes if nobody shows up.

I'm looking for STR food.

EDIT: not available anymore, planted them
« Last Edit: August 18, 2009, 11:57:52 am by Ai Shizuka »

kholhaus

• Bay Watcher
  • Pissed and Inspired
    • View Profile
« Reply #2312 on: August 18, 2009, 12:27:02 pm »

'Death rages across the land,
Chaos reigns supreme,
We do not fear it, nor supply it,
In the quiet before the storm.
'

When Ragnarok comes, I suggest we all book it before the townies start up their rivalries. Either that, or make alt characters that can get the numbers cleared out.
Kholhaus has been inspired recently.
Kholhaus has lost a favorite to tragedy recently.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #2313 on: August 18, 2009, 01:34:36 pm »

We might be getting a map a day or two before the reset, or possibly a day or two after the reset.

Any ideas on what the new B12 city is looking for in a settlement area?
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2314 on: August 18, 2009, 01:36:47 pm »

The major consensus is to be near water for when boats come in, so we may set sail for some distant island. A mine is a must, and clay pits make things much easier. It will matter little how close a forest is when we can grow our own.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2315 on: August 18, 2009, 01:57:08 pm »

Near sea, not just any water. I hated it when I built docks in AoE2 only to later find I've built them in a puddle. Anyway, I think an estuary would be the best choice for a colony. It gives access to both sea and inland areas. I think rivers will be main trade routes once trade gets going for real. If we build a bridge there too, it'd draw even more trade. Of course, more trade means more crime, but if we keep this old town as just a trading outpost and do all our production on an island, it won't be that big a problem. And we'll get rich, just like Constantinople or Venice.
Urist, President has immigrated to your fortress!
Urist, President mandates the Dwarven Bill of Rights.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2316 on: August 18, 2009, 02:02:26 pm »

Never before or ever again will there ever be such a hive of scum and villainy.

Oh, wait. Goons and the chan people. Nevermind then.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #2317 on: August 18, 2009, 02:04:46 pm »

Heh.  Alot of humans find joy in annoying others, eh?

go forth my toons!

Ai Shizuka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2318 on: August 19, 2009, 12:24:47 pm »

Possibly a dumb question. Is there a distance limit between trees to grow to the mature stages?
I've slammed my firs together and now I realize they may be too close.

See picture: are they too close?

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #2319 on: August 19, 2009, 12:46:41 pm »

You know, instead of one sprawling B12 city, perhaps it would be best if there where several B12 towns- especially considering that there may very well be geographically isolated resources (read: stuff that's far apart) in the new world.

There's two ways of looking at this, of course. You could say that it's downsizing the City into smaller parts- but really, these parts will each grow, I think, into strong towns on their own. And thus, B12 won't be several separate towns, but instead one Kingdom. Or Empire. One could call it a Civ or Entity, of course.

Beyond access to multiple resources, there's the fact that we would have several chieftains instead of one, and the fact that criminals escaping from, say, the coastal town also have to avoid the river town and the mountain town too. We all want trade caravans and such to have a chance to happen, and having several townfulls of people who can reasonably trust one another is a good way to do that, and all the more so if there are unique resources to move in that way.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Malicus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2320 on: August 19, 2009, 01:08:12 pm »

See picture: are they too close?

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Waaaaay too close.

Edit: Actually, let me restate that.  Of the trees that have grown a stage, between the far southwest and southeast trees (or between either of those and you) is probably an appropriate distance.  Just make sure to not plant them RIGHT in an east-west line if they're that close, so the logs from one don't fall on the other.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2009, 01:15:38 pm by Malicus »

Ai Shizuka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2321 on: August 19, 2009, 01:18:31 pm »

Ok thanks, I'll remove those two in the middle.

Malicus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2322 on: August 19, 2009, 01:22:49 pm »

Hrm, actually, if you were a tile further south, THAT is probably where I'd plant another tree in relation to those two.  But either way, most of those are WAY too close to grow to the point where you get logs from cutting them down.

Poltifar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2323 on: August 19, 2009, 07:29:27 pm »

You know, instead of one sprawling B12 city, perhaps it would be best if there where several B12 towns- especially considering that there may very well be geographically isolated resources (read: stuff that's far apart) in the new world.

There's two ways of looking at this, of course. You could say that it's downsizing the City into smaller parts- but really, these parts will each grow, I think, into strong towns on their own. And thus, B12 won't be several separate towns, but instead one Kingdom. Or Empire. One could call it a Civ or Entity, of course.

Beyond access to multiple resources, there's the fact that we would have several chieftains instead of one, and the fact that criminals escaping from, say, the coastal town also have to avoid the river town and the mountain town too. We all want trade caravans and such to have a chance to happen, and having several townfulls of people who can reasonably trust one another is a good way to do that, and all the more so if there are unique resources to move in that way.

We should still have sizable towns, since smaller towns are normally easier to rob/grief. Unless all towns pool their resources and rangers together, which would be awesome.
<@Poltifar> yeah i've played life for almost 23 years
<@Poltifar> i specced myself into a corner, i should just reroll
<@Akroma> eh
<@Akroma> just play the minigames until your subscription runs out

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2324 on: August 19, 2009, 11:00:17 pm »

I say One large Harbour town with main Trade and most Heavy works there, ie metal working and such. With a couple of smaller towns for Farms/Mines/Foresters with 'walled' roads leading to the Main city and normal roads leading to eachother...
Quote from: Ubiq
Broker: Wasn't there an ambush squad here just a second ago?
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?
My LIVESTREAM. I'm Aussie, so not everything is clean. Least it works...
Pages: 1 ... 153 154 [155] 156 157 ... 171