Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 143 144 [145] 146 147 ... 171

Author Topic: Haven and Hearth  (Read 209838 times)

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Haven and Hearth
« Reply #2160 on: August 08, 2009, 05:21:28 am »

Can I 'filch' some more land around my Hut...???
Just want to expand it slightly for a Hops field. Simple little 3x3...
Quote from: Ubiq
Broker: Wasn't there an ambush squad here just a second ago?
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?
My LIVESTREAM. I'm Aussie, so not everything is clean. Least it works...

KoE

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2161 on: August 08, 2009, 09:53:47 am »

The old cart depot is in the industry area, a bit west along the road from the intersection just north of the mines. I'm not sure if it's still in use, as after the Great Lumberpocalypse of a few weeks ago (wherein Malicus' eldritch forest was destroyed (at his request), driving many insane in the process), nobody bothered to return any carts. Then someone took most, if not all, the chests and stuck them in the cellar of the stockpile, to see no use whatsoever. Now the carts roam the streets freely, like ghosts, and occasionally get left in the middle of the road by Vucar (or a server crash) to piss me off. 

As for claim expansion, Nevyn, as long as you're not bumping to close to someone elses and/or blocking road (which I rather doubt), it's fine to grab up some more land.

EDIT:

Popped out a few more candleabra, mostly at intersections that weren't already lit by nearby hearthfires, by Hamel's place, replaced the one at the mine (whoever moved that one should be ashamed of themselves. That's impolite. Very rude.), and used the last couple of cast to fix the cauldron.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2009, 10:40:14 am by KoE »

kholhaus

• Bay Watcher
  • Pissed and Inspired
    • View Profile
« Reply #2162 on: August 08, 2009, 12:59:07 pm »

Well now we're working on restoring the forests, by building a plantation on the ridge to the east of Bottleneck.

So hopefully the depression of wood will be over soon. The Lumberpocalypse won't be in the aftermath for much longer.  8)
Kholhaus has been inspired recently.
Kholhaus has lost a favorite to tragedy recently.

Antioch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2163 on: August 08, 2009, 01:34:42 pm »

I read that tree that were blocked when they are supposed to grow, don't grow even after the obstacle has been removed, so it seems like the entire BN forest is full with trees that will never mature.

I think it would be productive to clear cut the entire forest and replant everything, or perhaps we could complain about it on the forum? Also I think adding 1 or 2 roads through the forest will significantly increase cart acces.
You finish ripping the human corpse of Sigmund into pieces.
This raw flesh tastes delicious!

kholhaus

• Bay Watcher
  • Pissed and Inspired
    • View Profile
« Reply #2164 on: August 08, 2009, 02:36:16 pm »

Well there's minor dirt paths all around, and a few stone pathways. But there's nothing really significant. I just basically went out into the northeastern outskirts of Bottleneck and found a few trees out there. My house is nearly complete... And I agree on the pathmaking. Where was the old Bottleneck forest?

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2165 on: August 08, 2009, 05:57:46 pm »

Hey guys...
Just been doing a little expanding on my Little Farm outside my assigned hut...
I 'Filched' a Cart and a boulder to make things easier and am then planning on Harvesting the Commune Wheat next log in. Gonna make a Ton of Bread/Buns that will be located in the Stockpile, if you want some Cake let us know where to get some Butter...

Just gonna be a Commune Farmer for now, no charge to anything I do, it all goes to the Commune, I feel so much better bout this game now that I have something to do, before it was like, Ummm. Huh??? I can do what now???...

Just a few questions...
1- How can I build a Well near my Hut, finding Water and so on...
2- Where can I get some Bricks for an Oven..?
3- Beehive requires things I have no idea where to locate.
4- What skill do I need to build a simple Fence???
5- Runestones, they are carved from Boulders right? Or can I rewrite one???
« Last Edit: August 08, 2009, 05:59:35 pm by Neyvn »
Quote from: Ubiq
Broker: Wasn't there an ambush squad here just a second ago?
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?
My LIVESTREAM. I'm Aussie, so not everything is clean. Least it works...

Luckk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2166 on: August 08, 2009, 06:57:59 pm »

Alright I just joined as Luckk and am currently lost.  While I don't plan on joining Bottleneck right away, I'll probably live close to there once I get the hang of the game.  I need help with two things currently, what does the happiness bar do and is there anyway I can figure out where I am on the map?

Malicus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2167 on: August 08, 2009, 07:08:48 pm »

1) Not a thing currently, and 2) short of comparing your surroundings to a map on the website...  no.

This map displays pretty much what will appear on your minimap, including the cliffs, but it doesn't show anything done by players (which will NOT be updated on the minimap, anyway).  The rings are related to something that is outdated, though, so ignore them. This map shows roads and farm plots in addition to the other things, and it shows changes that players have made to the world, so it may help more if you're trying to find yourself in a settled area.  The second map does not show cliffs, though, and your minimap won't be updated to reflect changes brought about by players, so it won't correlate to your minimap as well.  The various colors of the grids reflect the danger of the wildlife in the area.

KoE

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2168 on: August 08, 2009, 07:49:07 pm »

Just a few questions...
1- How can I build a Well near my Hut, finding Water and so on...
2- Where can I get some Bricks for an Oven..?
3- Beehive requires things I have no idea where to locate.
4- What skill do I need to build a simple Fence???
5- Runestones, they are carved from Boulders right? Or can I rewrite one???

1) You'll need a dowsing rod, which I believe you need Hearth Magic for. It's a tool, build it (requires a dream; there should be some dreamcatchers near the stockpile), equip it, and watch the little red tracking circle pop up from time to time. The pie slice will point you towards the nearest water, where you can build a well. Note that it's almost guaranteed not to be conveniently located.

2) You'll need to get clay (lots of clay pits in the desert west of Bottleneck), pop it in a kiln, light the kiln, and wait.

3) The first item is a board - you'll need to chop down a tree, equip a saw, and right-click on the log and select 'make boards' to get them. Note that metal saws, if you can bum one off of someone, yield 6 boards to the bone saw's 4. The other items are wood blocks - you can get these from the stump. The last item is straw - harvest wheat, and it's a byproduct.

4) According to the Wiki, you'll need Carpentry. You also need that for the above boards, so you should probably pick it up.

5) You'll have to make a whole new one from boulders - preferably the ugly ones from cellars, not the big, lighter colored ones scattered about the wilderness. The latter's not renewable, though currently its only benefit is being an endless source of stone.

And, to outdo Malicus, the map on maplib has all the overlays on one file, I think.

Luckk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2169 on: August 08, 2009, 10:32:11 pm »

Alright, I have another question.  Is there any trees near the new Bottleneck town that I could cut down so I could make myself a temporary house nearby?  I'm thinking about chopping this apple tree down and I am not sure if it can grow back/ if there is a better place to get wood.  I already have the tools and skills needed as well.

Frelock

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2170 on: August 08, 2009, 11:16:27 pm »

No trees grow back, they must be re-planted by the players, at the moment.  I would highly suggest you chop down a fir(pine) tree instead of the apple, as they give a whole lot more wood.
All generalizations are false....including this one.

Poltifar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2171 on: August 08, 2009, 11:54:08 pm »

Damn. Guess what I probably lost in the crash that just happened.

9 silk threads and 6 steel bars.

Damn. Just. Damn. The game's becoming unplayable with the constant crashes.
<@Poltifar> yeah i've played life for almost 23 years
<@Poltifar> i specced myself into a corner, i should just reroll
<@Akroma> eh
<@Akroma> just play the minigames until your subscription runs out

kholhaus

• Bay Watcher
  • Pissed and Inspired
    • View Profile
« Reply #2172 on: August 08, 2009, 11:57:16 pm »

that'd be the influx of new players. Either that, or someone's doing a mega-project. My guess? Something like the Princess Plantation...

Luckk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2173 on: August 09, 2009, 12:00:42 am »

Yeah, this is getting annoying.  I'm trying to build a temporary house before I'm done and this isn't helping.  I just hope if I don't finish it that no one destroys the sign for it.

kholhaus

• Bay Watcher
  • Pissed and Inspired
    • View Profile
« Reply #2174 on: August 09, 2009, 01:07:46 am »

Noone I know of in Bottleneck is a vandal. Our crime rates are unbelievably low, thanks to the unbelievable distance from the Ring.

I think you're safe, unless some drifter comes through town, or a person who lives on the outside of Bottleneck limits comes after you. Your best bet is placing a fence all around your planned land, and then putting a boulder in front of the entrance. Works for me, as my plot of land is now fully developed with no hindrances (Except those bloody server crashes! It turned my fox-skin into a LIVE FOX!)
Pages: 1 ... 143 144 [145] 146 147 ... 171