Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 130 131 [132] 133 134 ... 171

Author Topic: Haven and Hearth  (Read 209913 times)

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Haven and Hearth
« Reply #1965 on: July 21, 2009, 11:51:22 am »

So there seems to be 2 villages, Hamel's and Sonerohi's.
I posted a village plant too  >:(
Urist, President has immigrated to your fortress!
Urist, President mandates the Dwarven Bill of Rights.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

Poltifar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1966 on: July 21, 2009, 12:22:57 pm »

Oops, sorry. Well do tell us about your village too.
<@Poltifar> yeah i've played life for almost 23 years
<@Poltifar> i specced myself into a corner, i should just reroll
<@Akroma> eh
<@Akroma> just play the minigames until your subscription runs out

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1967 on: July 21, 2009, 12:28:48 pm »

Ok, here's my idea:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Anyway, the general idea is to make the town modular, which makes expansion easy yet provides protection early on in town development. The blocks need some more thought, mostly to calculate optimal size. It also allows us to accept non-B12 immigrants without putting the whole town at risk in case they're enemy agents. I don't know about you guys, but I'd like to have a town with open doors immigration policy. Keeping it B12 exclusive would promote stagnation and deprive us of good immigrants like Drink and Zewoo (they've contributed a LOT of wrought iron for public works).

Of course, this is just an idealized plan. The actual town would need to be fitted to the terrain.
Urist, President has immigrated to your fortress!
Urist, President mandates the Dwarven Bill of Rights.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

Poltifar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1968 on: July 21, 2009, 01:47:18 pm »

All these modular town ideas are great and all, but I realy value my personal space. As such, I'll go with the feudal coalition system we currently have in BN, claiming a good chunk of land near (but not TOO near) the town.
<@Akroma> eh

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1969 on: July 21, 2009, 02:05:21 pm »

Again, my idea:

Modular areas for industry and administration only. No residential areas in the town center. Everybody will live in the suburbs.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Hamel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1970 on: July 21, 2009, 02:15:01 pm »

To answer your questions on the fort-city I plan on making.

1: Completely capitalistic, other than the public resource blocks.
2: Yes, very much so. There will be a huge wall surrounding the entire city, two wide with an walk-space between them, I'm thinking.
3: Yes, see below.

Gray = Road.
Green = Grass.
Brown = Brick Wall.
White = Statue.

Each of those big green squares is a private plot. The above block is also the basic block I plan on using for just about everything, gutting the insides if it isn't a residential district. It should be noted that I plan on kicking people out of their plots if they don't log in every real-life month or so. Since I plan on ruling the town as the big cheese, things will be very well laid out, and it will probably have an organized military.

And yes, it is a freakishly huge road (18 squares wide). I might have mulberry/apple trees running up and down the middle.

Here's a picture of four residential blocks together.

My biggest problem will be finding an area to build it on, since it will probably be 5x5 blocks. I still haven't figured out what I'm going to name it, possibly Hamburg.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2009, 02:20:37 pm by Hamel »

Poltifar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1971 on: July 21, 2009, 02:50:34 pm »

If you want all the walls to be brick, that's gona use ALOT of WI...
<@Akroma> eh

sonerohi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1972 on: July 21, 2009, 02:58:25 pm »

I'd like to point out that my design costs the least wrought iron and steel of all those proposed, and it would be very simple for someone who understands claim distancing better than I do to refit the design to allow for claimed housing.
I picked up the stone and carved my name into the wind.

Hamel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1973 on: July 21, 2009, 03:27:19 pm »

If you want all the walls to be brick, that's gona use ALOT of WI...

Yes, yes it will. Eighty-five wrought per housing district, to be precise. But that sure as heck isn't going to stop me. I should note that housing district walls will be a low priority, and a lot of the work on them will be contributed by those who live in them. After all, those walls are for their own private security.

Edit: Here's another residential block, that could be used until the residents acquired enough wrought to upgrade. Assuming they trusted their neighbors enough.

Red = Gates.
Blue = Fences.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2009, 03:37:50 pm by Hamel »

WorkerDrone

• Bay Watcher
  • Hey, if you can dream it, you can do it!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1974 on: July 21, 2009, 11:28:00 pm »

How many houses I'd want?

Hooold on here. So the Fort is where the important stuff is going, but the houses are outside?

You might as well have an inner city, that being the fort with all the important stuff, and then a palisade around the fort, with houses inbetween. Or is that the plan?

I must have missed something, I thought the whole plan was to have a smallish community inside the big fort with fields and houses inside. If your just putting all the houses outside, I'd have to suggest a palisade anyway.

I'm okay with going to either fortress plan, just as long as citizenry (not serfs, no sir, I won't take part in feudalism) are behind walls aswell. I suppose if theres something that needs done, I can always toss three of work a day at something for either Hamel or Sonerohi. Wall building, tree cutting, mining, and brick making are the things towards building a settlement wise I can provide for either of you two, and I'd do it mostly for free. I'd expect part in the settlement aswell. Which of course goes with all the things you'd expect living in a collective settlement. I build the crap out of your village, donate all the leather I'm not using to the stockpile, and shove as much bear, boar, and deer meat into the stockpiles as possible in my spare time, and only expect a bit of land and the protection of strong walls that I just don't have the time to build by myself.

And the kapitano trouncing around like the lord of the place is pretty expected. "WorkerDrone, go hack that guy to pieces."

SUUUUURE. Why not. After I stat build some more. Don't worry. I'm sure he'll be there still when I get back.

Yolan

• Bay Watcher
  • There's no such thing as too greedy or too deep!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1975 on: July 22, 2009, 12:35:23 am »

Hmm. Thats a nice idea. Esp. once money starts to really pass hands for all kinds of stuff, you could charge rent in coins. That might take a while into the next world, but it will happen eventually.  I would change one thing about that design. Put your own keep in the middle.

As for myself, kinda stopped playing H&H a few weeks ago. I log in now and then, but I've already reached the point of having a great base, and heap of stuff to take over to the next world. Knowing that everything is going to be wiped soon, I just don't have much motivation to play.

Looking forward to the future though...
I'm making a game called "Innkeep!", where you run an inn set in a low-fantasy world and try to lighten your guests pockets. Forum topic here.

Floirt

• Bay Watcher
  • OMIGODJCABOMB!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1976 on: July 22, 2009, 05:21:42 am »

Meh. All these designs limit personal creativity, I'd better be off as a trading hermit, really.  :-X
Quote from: HellMOO
Fat Ratzo [to Floirt]: I got a package here goin' to Roy Poorman, out in the afterworld.  $120 when you make the delivery.  And hurry!
No, not commiting suicide, sorry.   ...Through that money is rather tempting...

niltrias

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.gaijinninjas.com
« Reply #1977 on: July 22, 2009, 08:47:07 am »

Another thing to consider is that it is possible that the world map may not be released at the same time as the map update...or at all, depending on whether they are considering cartography dev sessions.  So we may need to plan on a temporary settelment until we get the new Bottleneck location scouted. 
Ill be fully in on rebuilding BN, carrying wood, setting up tanning, finding wells, etc, until we establish a firm base.  Then, as now, I`ll pick a spot as close as possible with good hunting so I can continue to provide tasty BBBs to the community. 
Need to keep grinding so i can finally take those level 8-10 bears on head-to-head!
Gero! Gero! Bwahahahaha!

sonerohi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1978 on: July 22, 2009, 10:43:04 am »

How many houses I'd want?

Hooold on here. So the Fort is where the important stuff is going, but the houses are outside?

You might as well have an inner city, that being the fort with all the important stuff, and then a palisade around the fort, with houses inbetween. Or is that the plan?

I must have missed something, I thought the whole plan was to have a smallish community inside the big fort with fields and houses inside. If your just putting all the houses outside, I'd have to suggest a palisade anyway.

I'm okay with going to either fortress plan, just as long as citizenry (not serfs, no sir, I won't take part in feudalism) are behind walls aswell. I suppose if theres something that needs done, I can always toss three of work a day at something for either Hamel or Sonerohi. Wall building, tree cutting, mining, and brick making are the things towards building a settlement wise I can provide for either of you two, and I'd do it mostly for free. I'd expect part in the settlement aswell. Which of course goes with all the things you'd expect living in a collective settlement. I build the crap out of your village, donate all the leather I'm not using to the stockpile, and shove as much bear, boar, and deer meat into the stockpiles as possible in my spare time, and only expect a bit of land and the protection of strong walls that I just don't have the time to build by myself.

And the kapitano trouncing around like the lord of the place is pretty expected. "WorkerDrone, go hack that guy to pieces."

SUUUUURE. Why not. After I stat build some more. Don't worry. I'm sure he'll be there still when I get back.

If you'd look carefully, I posted a plan for the new town, and then I also posted plans for a fort I was building for myself. It has the rather obvious title of Sone's Settlement. You said that you'd help build one of them, but never specified which one. I was asking if you would want to help build the Settlement and live there, and if you were going to live there, how many houses you would want.
I picked up the stone and carved my name into the wind.

Malicus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1979 on: July 23, 2009, 12:52:21 am »

Remember when I called people to chop down a lot of my trees?  Who was in charge of that?  Was it Owen?

Well...  yeah.  It needs done again.  Come haul off all this wood.

I would post a screenshot of the horror now, but it's dark.  I'll do it tomorrow, maybe.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2009, 04:49:14 am by Malicus »
Pages: 1 ... 130 131 [132] 133 134 ... 171