Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 126 127 [128] 129 130 ... 171

Author Topic: Haven and Hearth  (Read 209925 times)

Poltifar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Haven and Hearth
« Reply #1905 on: July 18, 2009, 05:13:44 am »

Apparently somebody decided to break in my cabin and empty my Chest Full Of Valuables.

At this point, I don't even have that much valuables, but I lost my two cast iron bars and, worst of all, the metal saw. It's going to be a while until I can replace that...

Now, I erected a claim outside the house. From my experience, it's excellent in repelling thieves.

No, the claim stinks in repelling thieves. Just yesterday, Rubs II broke into my claimed house and stole my 2 cast iron bars and all my leather. Build a palisade, that decreases the chance of thieving (doesnt stop them though. I'm sure the goons are busy macro-training an invincible army of atl griefers somewhere.)
<@Poltifar> yeah i've played life for almost 23 years
<@Poltifar> i specced myself into a corner, i should just reroll
<@Akroma> eh
<@Akroma> just play the minigames until your subscription runs out

Floirt

• Bay Watcher
  • OMIGODJCABOMB!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1906 on: July 18, 2009, 05:16:10 am »

I'm making my way into Bottleneck, but some dude built hundreds of campfires near a swamp and I'm busy lighting them all.  :D
Is there a village admin so I can get into Bottleneck?
Quote from: HellMOO
Fat Ratzo [to Floirt]: I got a package here goin' to Roy Poorman, out in the afterworld.  $120 when you make the delivery.  And hurry!
No, not commiting suicide, sorry.   ...Through that money is rather tempting...

Poltifar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1907 on: July 18, 2009, 05:28:48 am »

I'm making my way into Bottleneck, but some dude built hundreds of campfires near a swamp and I'm busy lighting them all.  :D
Is there a village admin so I can get into Bottleneck?

Hamel is the chief, Goran is the lawspeaker, both can swear you in, just ask anyone you see in the village wether any of these two are online, someone should know.
<@Poltifar> yeah i've played life for almost 23 years
<@Poltifar> i specced myself into a corner, i should just reroll
<@Akroma> eh
<@Akroma> just play the minigames until your subscription runs out

Errol

• Bay Watcher
  • Heaven or Hell, Duel 1 -- Let's Rock!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1908 on: July 18, 2009, 05:44:43 am »

It's a nice scarecrow for them. If I didn't lose my bow and arrows, I'd even follow them. Guess I'll invest in a new weapon or something.

/e: The devs must be crazy. To FINALLY get to smith me a pickaxe, I need to first craft an anvil, then construct a smithy's hammer, and now I'm two cast iron bars short of making that goddamn pick.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2009, 06:49:23 am by Errol »
Girls are currently preparing signature, please wait warmly until it is ready.

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1909 on: July 18, 2009, 07:57:07 am »

Ok, here's my idea:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Anyway, the general idea is to make the town modular, which makes expansion easy yet provides protection early on in town development. The blocks need some more thought, mostly to calculate optimal size. It also allows us to accept non-B12 immigrants without putting the whole town at risk in case they're enemy agents. I don't know about you guys, but I'd like to have a town with open doors immigration policy. Keeping it B12 exclusive would promote stagnation and deprive us of good immigrants like Drink and Zewoo (they've contributed a LOT of wrought iron for public works).

Of course, this is just an idealized plan. The actual town would need to be fitted to the terrain.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2009, 07:59:09 am by DJ »
Urist, President has immigrated to your fortress!
Urist, President mandates the Dwarven Bill of Rights.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

KoE

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1910 on: July 18, 2009, 08:14:17 am »

Why did we lose so many village points? ???

Well, apart from people accidentally leaving, we also had some teleporting shenanigans with Hamel last night to warp in some of Malicus' wood.

Errol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1911 on: July 18, 2009, 08:52:37 am »

Hm. I think there should be housing blocks, holding one person plus a garden for personal use. These are fenced off with fences. No personal claims I think as long as it's covered by the village. Every citizen has the right for a cabin with cellar, and perhaps some more building material. I'll work on the ideal size.

We should have farming blocks, housing blocks and workshop blocks. We should furthermore have an inner and an outer town, with the core industries and stuff in the inner district. Housing - except for the 'nobles' is in the outer block as is most farming.

Oh, and people, I played Caesar 3 so I guess I can do some stuff here =P

/e: I played around a bit with Paint and came to the conclusion that one block should be, for now, 29x29. A housing block splits this into four areas (assuming fences on the outer edge and inbetween the areas) that are 13x13 each which should probably be enough for a decent home with mutiple possibilities. People who really need more can merge two areas.

Between these 29x29 blocks are either main roads - four-tile wide roads here, perhaps even widened enough for a big lane, in which case I'd recommend 15 wide (should be enough, really), side roads which are two tiles across or simply no space. However, every sub-area needs road access and you will need roads across every so often. If we get any free space it stays free or gets crammed with village structures, or whatever.

Other areas will have the full 29x29 area (minus fencing/palisade) and can be retrofitted into whatever you choose. It should be enough space for a nice industry or farm.

So, whaddya say?

/e2: After further reconsideration, the roads need to be bigger. 3 wide is probably the minimum, and smaller roads should only be used in the residential.

/e3: Image of a sample part of a city designed with my method (and too small roads) is there.

Blue = Residential
Red = Workshop
Grey = Road
Green = Farm/Forest
Black = Wall

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: July 18, 2009, 09:58:13 am by Errol »

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1912 on: July 18, 2009, 09:16:50 am »

I'm not going to live in a village where I can't have my personal claim. Frankly, I'm paranoid and don't trust anyone to walk around my place when I'm not there.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

Antioch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1913 on: July 18, 2009, 09:54:24 am »

:(

My 4 chests of iron ore only got me 2 WI bars
You finish ripping the human corpse of Sigmund into pieces.
This raw flesh tastes delicious!

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1914 on: July 18, 2009, 09:55:25 am »

:(

My 4 chests of iron ore only got me 2 WI bars
Find somebody with high industry and pay them something like wine or cheese or boar meat to do your bars for you.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Floirt

• Bay Watcher
  • OMIGODJCABOMB!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1915 on: July 18, 2009, 10:13:41 am »

I'm hanging around at the village center thingy. Is anyone of the two on?
Fat Ratzo [to Floirt]: I got a package here goin' to Roy Poorman, out in the afterworld.  $120 when you make the delivery.  And hurry!

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1916 on: July 18, 2009, 10:31:55 am »

Yeah, I'll get there in a sec.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

Floirt

• Bay Watcher
  • OMIGODJCABOMB!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1917 on: July 18, 2009, 10:40:07 am »

Okay, now I have all the 200 LP skills due to lighting a shitload of fires, yay. Still waiting, through.

EDIT: I'm in!  :D
« Last Edit: July 18, 2009, 10:50:43 am by Floirt »

Errol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1918 on: July 18, 2009, 11:08:19 am »

I'm not going to live in a village where I can't have my personal claim. Frankly, I'm paranoid and don't trust anyone to walk around my place when I'm not there.

That part isn't set in stone yet. I guess you could have a claim protecting your cabin. Minimum size.

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1919 on: July 18, 2009, 11:29:19 am »

Yeah, I think I'm making a separate farm for myself on the outskirts of main town next map.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...
Pages: 1 ... 126 127 [128] 129 130 ... 171