Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 117 118 [119] 120 121 ... 171

Author Topic: Haven and Hearth  (Read 209873 times)

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
  • AKA Aira; Legendary Female Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
Re: Haven and Hearth
« Reply #1770 on: July 12, 2009, 11:29:17 am »

Wow, this is one hell of a thread.  I read quite a few pages and skimmed quite a few more.  Now I'm trying to decide whether it is worth playing.  It seems to be quite time-intensive...  And I don't want to spend my entire summer on the computer.  I really seem to enjoy "farming" type games (starting with the original Harvest Moon and including even those ridiculous Facebook farming games), but if I have to grind for hours to get to the point where I can farm, I don't think it would be worth it to me.

I guess what I really don't like about almost every single MMO in existence is the idea of grinding.  If it's understood that almost every single player is going to spend their first few hours doing the same repetitive task over and over again in order to get a basic set of skills, what is the point of that?  Wouldn't it be better for the players and the server if you just started with whatever skills you need to enjoy the game?  I want to create my own little corner of the world, interact with other players, maybe go on an adventure or two.  But it seems to me like this is only 10-20% of the game experience, while the vast majority is just repetitive clicking, in which case I am completely uninterested.

I'm willing to be persuaded otherwise, though.  What do you guys think?

Poltifar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1771 on: July 12, 2009, 11:32:35 am »

The new additions to the game have spiked my interest in it again. I might log in soon to ask to be added to the village, to make a few fences or something, and TO MAKE BOOOOZE :P

As to the grinding, a large part of it (especially the high costs of many skills) is to prevent griefing. If anyone could just create a new character with many of the grief-usable skills, it would go terribly, TERRIBLY wrong.
<@Poltifar> yeah i've played life for almost 23 years
<@Poltifar> i specced myself into a corner, i should just reroll
<@Akroma> eh
<@Akroma> just play the minigames until your subscription runs out

Puck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1772 on: July 12, 2009, 11:40:51 am »

Wow, this is one hell of a thread.  I read quite a few pages and skimmed quite a few more.  Now I'm trying to decide whether it is worth playing.  It seems to be quite time-intensive...  And I don't want to spend my entire summer on the computer.  I really seem to enjoy "farming" type games (starting with the original Harvest Moon and including even those ridiculous Facebook farming games), but if I have to grind for hours to get to the point where I can farm, I don't think it would be worth it to me.

I guess what I really don't like about almost every single MMO in existence is the idea of grinding.  If it's understood that almost every single player is going to spend their first few hours doing the same repetitive task over and over again in order to get a basic set of skills, what is the point of that?  Wouldn't it be better for the players and the server if you just started with whatever skills you need to enjoy the game?  I want to create my own little corner of the world, interact with other players, maybe go on an adventure or two.  But it seems to me like this is only 10-20% of the game experience, while the vast majority is just repetitive clicking, in which case I am completely uninterested.

I'm willing to be persuaded otherwise, though.  What do you guys think?
1) Basic farming skills (combined with the post processing skills, like baking/beekeping/candlemaking....) are gained very quickly. Farming alone is a few minutes, if you want everything related, it MIGHT be a few hours. Pro-tip: consider putting up a teafarm first.
2) In h&h you might be lighting quite a few campfires to get the initial skills, but once you have some you can just try to discover the whole crafting/farming/cooking/building thing and learn doing so. Once you're integrated in a community and have some public food&tea supply, you can just be helping out with your skills all day long and constantly gain LP.

I found grind wasnt too bad, unless you're somewhat greedy about combat skills  ;D

KoE

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1773 on: July 12, 2009, 12:02:51 pm »

And after you've got a few skills, if you just focus on the doing stuff, the 'grind' is more of a by-product of crafting / building. I'd advise giving it a shot, because while it could probably be described as grind, it's a bit more interesting than just clicking on a monster and waiting for it to die (whilst possibly vigorously rapping on a few hotkeys) like a lot of other MMOs.

EDIT:

I managed to fumble and hit the damn Leave the Village button while trying to do two things at once. If Hamel or Goran'd give a yell when the log on (assuming I'm still on), I'd appreciate it.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2009, 01:07:14 pm by KoE »

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #1774 on: July 12, 2009, 03:27:59 pm »

This is the first game where grinding is taken literally...

*grinds another batch of flour*

This one thread is mine. MIIIIINE!!! And it will remain a happy, friendly, encouraging place, whether you lot like it or not. 
will rena,eme sique to sique sxds-- siquo if sucessufil
(cant spel siqou a. every speling looks wroing (hate this))

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #1775 on: July 12, 2009, 04:53:24 pm »

I recently decided to go log in again. To my surprise, nobody cared to significantly plunder my pad. Only the meatgrinder, the cauldron, and a chest with some food were carted off. I still have a full chest of ore and my hammer was in my inventory, so I'm still in a workable condition. I don't think I'll return just yet, though.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Milaha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1776 on: July 12, 2009, 08:40:44 pm »

So thanks to hamel I can now quickly get between my place and BN, which means I would love to start trading with you all.  I can provide wilderness goods, chiefly bear meat.  I would love to trade for other foods and metals.  If anyone is interested shoot me a PM or find me on IRC.

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1777 on: July 12, 2009, 10:22:30 pm »

I'm off to bed now, but I'd be happy to trade cakes for boar and bear meat tomorrow. I traded with Niltrias at 2 cakes for a piece of boar meat, and 4 cakes for a piece of bear meat. Does that work for you?
Urist, President has immigrated to your fortress!
Urist, President mandates the Dwarven Bill of Rights.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

Cajoes

• Bay Watcher
  • "I'm a damn cat."
    • View Profile
    • http://none
« Reply #1778 on: July 13, 2009, 03:38:59 am »

I AM BAKER BOT. I PUSH CAKE DOWN GLORIOUS LEADER'S THROAT.
Quote from: Roman Proverb
Do not argue against the sun. For it is a lot brighter than you are.

Detrevni|inverteD

• Bay Watcher
  • Sometimes you have to step back to appreciate art.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1779 on: July 13, 2009, 09:59:36 am »

I'm logging in again, since it seems this thread has been revived.

sonerohi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1780 on: July 13, 2009, 11:26:00 pm »

Noooooo!! A crash!
I picked up the stone and carved my name into the wind.

KoE

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1781 on: July 14, 2009, 09:27:08 am »

Did I miss the huge crime wave, or is this new? A lot of properties (Talvara's, Imajica's, HolyChicken's, our vault) seem to be stinking to heaven of theft. I only tracked the vault clues to Rubs - whom somebody beat me to - and am currently going to see if all these others lead to the same place.

EDIT:

Add Relm and Adam to the theft list, Workerdrone and Hamel to trespassing by Rubs.

I also found a couple of scents that had a lot less uses left amongst all the others... Whether this is old news or because Rubs was covering for somebody with higher stealth, I don't know. I was going to track it, but Loftar with his incredible psychic ability to perform updates at the most inconvenient times dropped an update.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2009, 09:46:31 am by KoE »

sonerohi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1782 on: July 14, 2009, 10:18:54 am »

I saw Rubs at the RoB and stabbed him, if it's any consolation.
I picked up the stone and carved my name into the wind.

Malicus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1783 on: July 14, 2009, 03:11:37 pm »

Huh.  I found that this Rubs had snooped around in my first character's cart and, for some reason, pulled it south, but left everything there.  He's alive, though, considering that I could force summon him.

There were two theft scents there, one had 11 uses and one had 1 use.  Both led to him.

Or maybe not.  There's a hearth fire behind this cabin, but I lost the 1 use scent now.

...false alarm.  It's just a normal fire.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2009, 03:16:34 pm by Malicus »

Antioch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1784 on: July 14, 2009, 03:59:42 pm »

well I finally arived and am now building my own cabin
You finish ripping the human corpse of Sigmund into pieces.
This raw flesh tastes delicious!
Pages: 1 ... 117 118 [119] 120 121 ... 171