Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 111 112 [113] 114 115 ... 171

Author Topic: Haven and Hearth  (Read 209839 times)

Vanigo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Haven and Hearth
« Reply #1680 on: June 23, 2009, 10:14:20 pm »

I've been playing around with this for a couple days, and I'm thinking about moving down to Bottleneck. Any suggestions about what my stats should be like to make the trip, or anything I should try and bring down with me?

Malicus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1681 on: June 23, 2009, 10:35:33 pm »

The trip down there is no longer extremely dangerous.  You probably won't even encounter anything that will attack you if you follow the road (though good luck FINDING it, since the road system near the newbie area is a mess, and navigating it is hell).

As for what to bring...  I dunno.  I don't live there.

Poltifar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1682 on: June 24, 2009, 05:08:12 am »

I think I'm gona play the game less for now too. The game idea is awesome and all, but there is still too much incomplete stuff, mainly too little things to do and too much thieving. The only things I still haven't tried in this game are steel making and ranging, both of which I have no plans on attempting with the current thief insanities. I'll still be playing, but much less than last week.
<@Poltifar> yeah i've played life for almost 23 years
<@Poltifar> i specced myself into a corner, i should just reroll
<@Akroma> eh
<@Akroma> just play the minigames until your subscription runs out

Malicus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1683 on: June 24, 2009, 01:13:42 pm »

I'm also somewhat losing interest, so you won't see me around as much now, either.  I'll probably still be on the IRC channel most of the time, though.

Timst

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1684 on: June 25, 2009, 03:34:48 am »

I would probably have tried it if it was more newcomer-friendly. I mean, what are we supposed to do ? When you start the game, you're stranded in a place where everyone has already an house, an oven, etc... There's no living trees in the surrounding, everything is already builded, and no one will tell you what to do or how to do it.
Ok, I can craft a hand axe... Let's see, I need a branch... ok, I can take it from this apple tree. Now, a stone. And where the fuck do I find that ? For a "bone axe" I need a bone... and how to get it ? Do I have to hunt an animal ? With which weapond ? The "how to" is already an advanced tutorial, so there's nothing for the average newbie who just started the game.

I travelled the world for twenty minutes, and there's still no tree, no water, only constructed houses, field and ovens. I stop playing.

Poltifar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1685 on: June 25, 2009, 03:53:39 am »

Timst, yeah, its not very newbie-friendly. You were still in in the 'Brodgar' area after those 20 minutes of walking around if you didnt see any trees or stones. Its were most people live, so its been stripped down of any and all natural resources. If you go farther from this area, you start finding more and more resources, but it also gets much, much more dangerous... so yeah, no very newbie friendly...
<@Akroma> eh

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #1686 on: June 25, 2009, 04:08:29 am »

... You visit B12 forums and you complain about newbie-unfriendly games?

Odd.

This one thread is mine. MIIIIINE!!! And it will remain a happy, friendly, encouraging place, whether you lot like it or not. 
will rena,eme sique to sique sxds-- siquo if sucessufil
(cant spel siqou a. every speling looks wroing (hate this))

Timst

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1687 on: June 25, 2009, 04:19:35 am »

Yeah I know it's odd, but I didn't say it was not newbie-friendly because the learnig curve was steep, but because you spawn in an already crowded place with nothing to help you find what you need to survive. Not the smallest tutorial or guide... I mean, even DF got an online manual :p !

Poltifar : Yep, that's the problem of all these game where the player can build (and therefore remove) anyhting : The spawn points quickily become overcrowded.

niltrias

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.gaijinninjas.com
« Reply #1688 on: June 25, 2009, 04:27:48 am »

I saw you on.  If I had known you were a NEW newbie, I would have helped you out. 
Saying hi to people can get you a bit more interaction.  ;)
Gero! Gero! Bwahahahaha!

Poltifar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1689 on: June 25, 2009, 04:48:30 am »

Poltifar : Yep, that's the problem of all these game where the player can build (and therefore remove) anyhting : The spawn points quickily become overcrowded.

But the nice thing about these games, is that most of the area outside of the spawn point is completely devoid of other players and their stuff. Which is awesome!
<@Akroma> eh

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #1690 on: June 25, 2009, 04:51:06 am »

True, I just went wandering, at some point just randomly decided that there were enough trees in the neighbourhood, and settled. Before too long I moved to BN, to get some more player-interaction, and to live closer to a mine.

This one thread is mine. MIIIIINE!!! And it will remain a happy, friendly, encouraging place, whether you lot like it or not. 
will rena,eme sique to sique sxds-- siquo if sucessufil
(cant spel siqou a. every speling looks wroing (hate this))

WorkerDrone

• Bay Watcher
  • Hey, if you can dream it, you can do it!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1691 on: June 25, 2009, 04:59:37 am »

I get a little too much player interaction.

I'm a popular guy I guess.

Malicus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1692 on: June 26, 2009, 01:26:12 am »

This thread actually fell to the second page?  Wow, I guess we have lost interest.

WorkerDrone

• Bay Watcher
  • Hey, if you can dream it, you can do it!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1693 on: June 26, 2009, 01:32:32 am »

The problem is it consumed far to much of our interest. Seriously, three quarters of Penguin of Honor's thread in post make up, in a month?

People are either putting it away to a secondary fun thing, not spending as much time playing it, or have realized that the game just takes far to much fucking time.

I could still play. But I don't really want to right now. Maybe I'll lone wolf it when the map reset comes. Grabbed my tools and shit just in case. Nobody mess with my house. If the reset doesn't happen as soon as we thought, and more nice stuff gets implemented, I'll be sure to try it out.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1694 on: June 26, 2009, 02:46:54 am »

is it against any of the rules to make a horde of people and pillage the entire world? just run in kill everyone and take everything and run away?
Pages: 1 ... 111 112 [113] 114 115 ... 171