Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 104 105 [106] 107 108 ... 171

Author Topic: Haven and Hearth  (Read 209799 times)

sonerohi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Haven and Hearth
« Reply #1575 on: June 17, 2009, 07:45:53 pm »

Which is why I suggested a drying rack wall across the shoreline.

Edit: To Dragooble and Hawkfrost: I'm shippin out to somewhere. I only took a tool if I had made it before you two emmigrated, or if we had a back up. The fields and all facilities still exist.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2009, 07:50:06 pm by sonerohi »
I picked up the stone and carved my name into the wind.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1576 on: June 17, 2009, 08:47:16 pm »

stupid wait deep water.....gonna be changed later, might as well prepare for what this game will become and get a jump on everyone.

other base i can think of would be a complete underground base....hide in a mine in the corner of the world and build a city underground.....making the dev that makes it keep it secret   ;)

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #1577 on: June 17, 2009, 08:52:51 pm »

Secret?  On the internet?  Hah, that's a good one.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1578 on: June 17, 2009, 09:28:05 pm »

we will bury it in a planted forest maze

KoE

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1579 on: June 18, 2009, 01:27:26 am »

Someone's been pulling shenanigans - The Ring of Brodgar has been vandlized by mass drying racks. Read all about it here.

If anybody's new (or needs to go inside the Ring of Brodgar for some reason), be aware you can get through if you try hard enough to go through the drying racks, or if you follow that little stretch of road (there are pictures in the linked topic.)

Hopefully Jorb and Loftar will have this fixed post-haste, but if anybody starts in the mean-time that should help them.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #1580 on: June 18, 2009, 01:57:02 am »

In the meantime, I devised a cunning alternative to a locked door. Presuming we get the 'cannot build on other's claim' feature we were promised. All you need is a cart and a 1-wide entrance to an enclosed area with your hearth and anything else you want to keep. If you spawn at the hearth, you can pull the cart away, turn it around, then leave it stuck against the walls. And there will be no way to enter until destroying objects is possible.

Of course, it also means you cannot keep your cart safe. And you'll have to hearth-a-port if you want to, say get back in to refuel your smelter or something. Not that much of a problem since you can pass containers through the cart, but problem enough. Totally worth the thief-proofness though.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2009, 02:04:17 am by Sean Mirrsen »
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

debvon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1581 on: June 18, 2009, 04:08:20 am »

Clayshire has sealed all of it's stuff under ground in the bat cave and now, because of aesthetic boredom, we've resorted to mega hunting. If you need bear or boar meat badly, simply ask.

KoE

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1582 on: June 18, 2009, 04:55:50 am »

If anybody's wondering where the tannery went, Niltrias and I moved it to the lakeshore. It's an order of magnitude quicker than using the well, and while a bit out of the way, it's a lot quicker on the tub-filling end. Ideally we should probably use the old tannery area as a fur stockpile and use carts to drag stuff up there. (Road infrastructure would also be nice)

And on a related note, someone has claimed the cart parking area in the industrial zone - was this an intentional security measure, or is someone trying to collect some thief scents to mess with us? I avoided borrowing one of those carts to help out specifically because I was afraid of that.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1583 on: June 18, 2009, 05:42:24 am »

hmmmm, so we can just log out and in to teleport back to our hearths....cuts time in half, nice

WorkerDrone

• Bay Watcher
  • Hey, if you can dream it, you can do it!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1584 on: June 18, 2009, 05:47:55 am »

I think that was intentional, and the person who did it probably enabled kin. Find out who's claim that is, and if its someone you know, or at least someone you know is apart of the group, add them to your Kin List.

Not sure about the progress with the industrial zone, something to do with security measures DJ mentioned.

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1585 on: June 18, 2009, 07:04:33 am »

I claimed the carts. I announced I'll do it earlier in this thread, but I forgot to post last night when I did it. It's a security measure, to allow us to track down our carts if they get stolen. The claim has been placed by my alt, DJ, so I need to add you on my alt's kinlist. I know it's a hassle, but please refrain from using the carts until you get added to the list. We don't want false theft clues there.

I realised that I can't add my main to my alt's kinlist, so looks like I won't be using those carts much:( Shouldn't have made the alt on the same account.

In other news, I'm moving to a new home, south of industry. There is money to be made in the world, so I'm starting my own farm (it wouldn't be fair to use public farms for personal gain). My old house is up for grabs if anyone wants it. You can move in as soon as I remove my claim there.
Urist, President has immigrated to your fortress!
Urist, President mandates the Dwarven Bill of Rights.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1586 on: June 18, 2009, 07:59:51 am »

i have will to power and unarmed combat skills. i have the combat menu. why i can't go around punching things?

edit: i needed hunting. now i won't starve.... but is a campfire good enough  to cook the meat? or do i need an oven? i tryed standing near a campfire, but it didn't let me cook the meat
« Last Edit: June 18, 2009, 08:34:48 am by andrea »

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1587 on: June 18, 2009, 08:40:51 am »

You have to use it. As in, right click. Then you'll be able to roast stuff.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."

Hamel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1588 on: June 18, 2009, 12:05:34 pm »

In the meantime, I devised a cunning alternative to a locked door. Presuming we get the 'cannot build on other's claim' feature we were promised. All you need is a cart and a 1-wide entrance to an enclosed area with your hearth and anything else you want to keep. If you spawn at the hearth, you can pull the cart away, turn it around, then leave it stuck against the walls. And there will be no way to enter until destroying objects is possible.

Of course, it also means you cannot keep your cart safe. And you'll have to hearth-a-port if you want to, say get back in to refuel your smelter or something. Not that much of a problem since you can pass containers through the cart, but problem enough. Totally worth the thief-proofness though.

Loftar already unofficially implemented the "cannot build on other people's land" thing, I think.

Why use the cart at all? Why not just use a hearth fire gate to block your house?

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1589 on: June 18, 2009, 12:34:53 pm »

Because your hearth fire is no longer safe. If you punish a criminal, the HF gate may be your undoing.

Pages: 1 ... 104 105 [106] 107 108 ... 171