Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 99 100 [101] 102 103 ... 171

Author Topic: Haven and Hearth  (Read 209747 times)

sonerohi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Haven and Hearth
« Reply #1500 on: June 14, 2009, 11:20:19 am »

I do believe that Hawkfrost and Dragooble have decided to quit, which means it's back down to lil' ole me here at Hill Dwarf  :'(.

Why did they quit? :(

Dunno, but it has been a week since I saw them last on, and according to the kinlist they haven't been on since then.
I picked up the stone and carved my name into the wind.

Poltifar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1501 on: June 14, 2009, 11:35:26 am »

Dunno, but it has been a week since I saw them last on, and according to the kinlist they haven't been on since then.

Try pming them on these forums.

As for the new skill, there seems to be MANY problems once we think of it:
-The already mentioned possibility for blood feuds since enacting justice leaves clues
-The possibility that someone accidentally walking into a claimed land is hunted down and killed
-THIS ONE IS PARTICULARLY UNSETTLING IMO: The fact that only experienced players would have the skills and equipment needed to hunt down criminals, and would probably require a heavy pay to do their job for others. So, a thief could rob many newbies blind (they could keep going into the land and out since damage was removed) and never get caught since the newbies are too poor to pay for a ranger's services.

I hope someone from the B12 community is going to train as a ranger and give services at an affordable rate...
<@Poltifar> yeah i've played life for almost 23 years
<@Poltifar> i specced myself into a corner, i should just reroll
<@Akroma> eh
<@Akroma> just play the minigames until your subscription runs out

sonerohi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1502 on: June 14, 2009, 11:39:10 am »

I'm not very skillful with exploration and stealth yet, but I'd be willing to offer tracking skills in exhcange for the client watching my property while I'm gone a huntin. I'd require bread for theft crimes, but murder and battery would be free (theft, I would feel obligated to track down both the perp and the item, which would take longer. Murder and battery is as simple as find fire -> slayinate).

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1503 on: June 14, 2009, 11:52:16 am »

I always kill the foxes that go hostile on me (with my bow) - They're quite a bit of free LP, and you get even more if you skin and butcher them too.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Hamel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1504 on: June 14, 2009, 01:04:50 pm »

You don't actually need Melee. You need Unarmed Fighting, since that's basically what they're doing to you. I've had Melee at 15, and the foxes were still scoring hits until I raised my Unarmed to 10. Then they started missing, and at this point, with 14 Unarmed, I can hold out against a fox in the first purple ring almost indefinetly. Also, at first Melee is useless. A Stone Axe is so unwieldy and has such a long recharge time that it's not worth it. You can deal three Punches for 9 total damage in the same time you make one Chop for 10.

Ack, no, no, no. Unarmed combat affects the "dodge" combat maneuver. Only if you are using that, unarmed will make monsters hit you less often. Melee combat affects the "shield" combat maneuver, which will also make monsters hit you less. Note, that shield requires a shield to use, but it is a good deal better than dodge.

Poltifar, you should be able to get down to Bottleneck without much trouble at all. Since the census system makes the lands leading to Bottleneck quite safe. You might want to look at this map. Animals will only attack you in the third danger level or higher.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2009, 01:07:43 pm by Hamel »

sonerohi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1505 on: June 14, 2009, 01:18:06 pm »

I just suggested awesome and a half, if anyone cares to read the critiques section of the H&H forums.

Also, Dragooble and Hawkfrost, did you guys quit/lose interest/otherwise occupied?
« Last Edit: June 14, 2009, 08:32:06 pm by sonerohi »

Hamel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1506 on: June 15, 2009, 12:57:19 am »

I have managed a successful trade exchange between Bottleneck and Milaha. We traded some 10 or so cloth for a good deal of bear sausages. Some of which (all of it :P) I have taken as payment for my clerical services.

WorkerDrone

• Bay Watcher
  • Hey, if you can dream it, you can do it!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1507 on: June 15, 2009, 12:58:29 am »

Also, about the shield (or dodge for that matter).

I have a question. Ones rather "I R DUM" but its mostly because I haven't bothered checking.

If you have that maneuver chosen, will it automatically perform itself? You don't have to click on it or anything to avoid hits I'd assume.

And then about the shield on another note.

I think using dodge and a Twohanded weapon would work well with a high enough unarmed, and with a healthy amount of Melee and Str, you could deal alot of DPS with that Battle Axe.

I wouldn't try it unless I could deal significantly more damage, and could also dodge most hits that came my way, but I'd take the higher DPS over better block rates.

KoE

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1508 on: June 15, 2009, 08:43:59 am »

@ Worker: I'm fairly certain they go automatically (sort of like the basic attack forms).

Anyway, for Adam and anybody walking past his claim - I left a couple of 'Theft' marks, first from recovering an arrow on one of the bastard foxes that spawned all around us after the server reset, and then one inside on a basket when I left a parchment trying to explain myself. So despite the green footprints, all that was benign.

- Owen Q.

Malicus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1509 on: June 15, 2009, 08:47:11 am »

If a maneuver is set, then it'll stay that way until you change it to something else.  ...though there have been a few times that I've found it set back to dodge, but that may have been my fault.

Errol

• Bay Watcher
  • Heaven or Hell, Duel 1 -- Let's Rock!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1510 on: June 15, 2009, 12:09:15 pm »

Well... I'm more or less thrilled by my current life on the road, scavenging stuff and all that. It would be better with one or two mates tho... Imagine it, a trek leading the members through the entire land, trading for stuff... Hoo yes, wagons are genius. Being able to carry enough storage space plus the ever-useful meatgrinder (well, essential for wilderness survival in a way)...
Girls are currently preparing signature, please wait warmly until it is ready.

Grantyman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1511 on: June 15, 2009, 12:27:23 pm »

Hey! I just joined! I'm in the rest house thingy hiding from a fox. My name's Grantyman. Be there soon!

Poltifar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1512 on: June 15, 2009, 01:06:22 pm »

Well... I'm more or less thrilled by my current life on the road, scavenging stuff and all that. It would be better with one or two mates tho... Imagine it, a trek leading the members through the entire land, trading for stuff... Hoo yes, wagons are genius. Being able to carry enough storage space plus the ever-useful meatgrinder (well, essential for wilderness survival in a way)...

BUT... what if someone finds your wagon when you are logged out? Also, how much can a wagon carry anyways?

As for me, because of recent developments, I think I'm going to be moving to Bottleneck pretty soon. I hope you dont have too much theft problems down there, and that you have enough space for me :P
<@Akroma> eh

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1513 on: June 15, 2009, 01:42:13 pm »

You can hide wagons behind apple trees. Just leave a bit of handle sticking out so you can get it yourself. Then, camouflage the handle by building a a couple of wicker baskets around it. Also, you can put up a claim for extra safety, but it draws suspicion, so you need to put down some bait so potential thieves assume that's what the claim is protecting. A straw basket filled with a bit of leather, some flour and random knick-knacks works well enough.
Urist, President has immigrated to your fortress!
Urist, President mandates the Dwarven Bill of Rights.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

Poltifar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1514 on: June 15, 2009, 02:02:30 pm »

That's it, I'm too impatient to get out of the newbie village and too lazy to bother to get a wagon to carry alot of things, so i'm leaving with the bare necessities (food, a few seeds, equipment) and leaving all the big stuff behind for anyone to take. I'll just make new ones later, more LP anyways!

EDIT: I'm there. I built a temporary hearth fire among the grape plantations north of the bottleneck. Am I free to claim any empty land I want, or are there regulations?
« Last Edit: June 15, 2009, 02:32:29 pm by Poltifar »
<@Akroma> eh
Pages: 1 ... 99 100 [101] 102 103 ... 171