Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 76 77 [78] 79 80 ... 171

Author Topic: Haven and Hearth  (Read 209489 times)

Vucar Fikodastesh

• Bay Watcher
  • Grand Master Explorer
    • View Profile
Re: Haven and Hearth
« Reply #1155 on: June 07, 2009, 10:05:59 am »

I heard that if you don't log in for 12 hours, your claims disappear. Is this true?
I think it's a vastly amusing thought that elephants are so afraid of heights that when Dwarves invented the Z-axis, they couldn't bear to face dwarves in combat anymore.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #1156 on: June 07, 2009, 10:10:16 am »

I don't think your claims disappear even if you die. The character that reincarnates after the deceased receives all the claims. So, likely not true. Whoever experienced this was probably hit by the server crash.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1157 on: June 07, 2009, 10:13:19 am »

I'm am against moving because I am so not ploughing all those fields again. Anyway, I've devised a completely safe system, I'll just need some help erecting the wall and laying roads. The wall is much smaller than the one in the "wall the village" idea, so it shouldn't take that much time. Once we move all our industry to safety, we can be more open to visitors because we won't have to worry about theft. If we just move again and try to find safety in hiding, we'll always be on the run. We need to make a stand here, damn it!
Urist, President has immigrated to your fortress!
Urist, President mandates the Dwarven Bill of Rights.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

Relm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1158 on: June 07, 2009, 10:20:13 am »

I love the idea of the wall. :)

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1159 on: June 07, 2009, 10:22:07 am »

If anyone feels like helping, I'm working right now. I'm in the desert.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

Maric

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1160 on: June 07, 2009, 11:04:19 am »

Joined under the name Stewine Beef.

Just fishing perch and filling all the baskets in the area I spawned at  ;D.

Hamel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1161 on: June 07, 2009, 11:30:53 am »

I'll help. It's a simple enough project. Any idea how many fires we're going to need? I suggest we start with a 2-tile thick wall and expand outward in several stages.

The proposed width was something along the lines of nine fires. I think it should be something closer to six.

Why dont we build the side walls out of drying racks, and only the gates out of fires?  They are faster to build and permanent.
Also, I think at least one point, near a heavy traffic zone, should have only one row of fires, which would then be designated the main gate. 

We thought of that, but someone could easily trap us inside for all of eternity by blocking the gates with drying racks. The wall should be made of fires so we could get out if we need to.

A one wide fire gate wouldn't be nearly as safe or quick as claims.

I'll just need some help erecting the wall and laying roads. The wall is much smaller than the one in the "wall the village" idea, so it shouldn't take that much time.

I really think we should use the proposed wall map, we will need all of that room for potential expansion. Unless people want to enlarge the wall every time someone wants to claim some land.

niltrias

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.gaijinninjas.com
« Reply #1162 on: June 07, 2009, 11:43:22 am »

If anyone feels like helping, I'm working right now. I'm in the desert.

Ill help tomorrow.  Im beat.
Gero! Gero! Bwahahahaha!

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #1163 on: June 07, 2009, 11:46:19 am »

Someone said something about pickaxes and mining- how does this work?
It almost seems that we could dig an underground.... barrack, or stronghold... maybe a bunker? There's a word I'm thinking of...
Anyway, it sounds like we could dig one of those and just have scattered farmland above. We could even keep bandits out of the garrison by claming the mine entrance and having everyone be kin.

But I'm sure I'm missing something here... probably can't build things in caves.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1164 on: June 07, 2009, 11:49:06 am »

Thing is, we only need to protect the industry. Personal residences are simply not worth griefing, especially if they're protected by claims. If we go with my suggestion, we can get a wall up much faster. Also, we need a new industry centre anyway because our current industry has poor cart access. I've already plotted out the roads in the desert, and I'm starting the wall right now. Later, if we want to wall the whole village, we can simply incorporate my wall into the village wall.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1165 on: June 07, 2009, 12:13:04 pm »

I was under the understanding that Bottleneck would indeed need to be remade. I just hoped it would be during the map wipe.

But yes, we need to design a new center of business. I'm sure somebody can design something interesting and efficient. After all, we are the Dwarf Fortress community. Indeed, moving would be more ideal than a giant wall as it would solve the size problem of the wall as well as the efficiency problem of the roads.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1166 on: June 07, 2009, 12:29:45 pm »

Heh, I plotted it out already. I'm building a wall around it right now. After that, the roads need filling out - I made them 6 wide, so all business will have cart access. After that we can put the buildings up. Just please don't do it haphazardly people, I have a town plan here. Either ask me, or put them next to ones of same type that I put up (I'll build one of each as soon as I can). If you're logged in, come check it out :)

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

Hamel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1167 on: June 07, 2009, 12:59:46 pm »

Thing is, we only need to protect the industry. Personal residences are simply not worth griefing, especially if they're protected by claims. If we go with my suggestion, we can get a wall up much faster. Also, we need a new industry centre anyway because our current industry has poor cart access. I've already plotted out the roads in the desert, and I'm starting the wall right now. Later, if we want to wall the whole village, we can simply incorporate my wall into the village wall.

Again, I say, you cannot effectively block off industry sections, as there is a huge amount of traffic coming and going. You would have to have several dedicated gatekeepers. Which no one would want to be, as they would have to let people in and out all day.

Other possible gates all have difficulties affiliated with them.

Hearth fires gates wouldn't work, as you can only have one hearth fire at a time. A lot of people wouldn't want to put their hearth fire in the middle of town.

One wide fire gates wouldn't work, as you would have to wait 20 minutes to get in or out, and anyone could get in without verification.

A claim gate for each person wouldn't work, as not everyone who is going to want to access those industries will have yeomanry (4000 LP).

Our best bet is using a town wall and shared claim gates, as there is a minute amount of traffic entering and exiting the town. Thus, the gatekeepers wouldn't have too much responsibility resting on their shoulders.

Someone said something about pickaxes and mining- how does this work?
It almost seems that we could dig an underground.... barrack, or stronghold... maybe a bunker? There's a word I'm thinking of...
Anyway, it sounds like we could dig one of those and just have scattered farmland above. We could even keep bandits out of the garrison by claming the mine entrance and having everyone be kin.

But I'm sure I'm missing something here... probably can't build things in caves.

The problem with living in a mine is that it is just too dark down there.

Indeed, moving would be more ideal than a giant wall as it would solve the size problem of the wall as well as the efficiency problem of the roads.

Size problem? I don't know what you mean, they're only fires. I think a move would best wait until the next map reset.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2009, 01:02:40 pm by Hamel »

Malicus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1168 on: June 07, 2009, 01:12:55 pm »

The hell?  Someone just e-mailed me accusing me of cutting down their apple tree.  I haven't cut down ANY apple trees in ages, nor do I know what village they're even talking about.

Edit: Okay, this mail actually came in sometime yesterday, but still.  What?

Edit 2: And if you wanted a reply, you should have PMed me.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2009, 01:24:13 pm by Malicus »

sonerohi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1169 on: June 07, 2009, 01:13:24 pm »

Does anyone know who CSJM is?! The Hill Dwarf Clan is missing things and there are runestones left by CSJM all over the place.
I picked up the stone and carved my name into the wind.
Pages: 1 ... 76 77 [78] 79 80 ... 171