Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 75 76 [77] 78 79 ... 171

Author Topic: Haven and Hearth  (Read 209486 times)

sonerohi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Haven and Hearth
« Reply #1140 on: June 06, 2009, 11:57:21 pm »

Good news. The Hill Dwarf Clan (me, Dragooble, and Hawkfrost) have acheived a wagon and a second home, which is Hawkfrosts once he has yeomanry. With a clay field right next to us providing good ground for the wagon, we are unstoppable.
I picked up the stone and carved my name into the wind.

Wooty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1141 on: June 07, 2009, 01:24:02 am »

I vote for the enourmous wall + many, many (as many as possible, multiple claims per person) claimed entrances system. We should begin on it as soon as possible.
Without a Great Of Wall Of Fuck You Shockedfrog, we'll be constantly griefed and community stockpiles and areas will be nearly impossible. Without a wall we basically become paranoid hermits. I say we wait a day to see if there's any objections and start building tommorow. We can always burn it if we need to.

So far I think we have 3 or 4 votes for a bigass wall and none against.
Quote from: Toady One
It's important to wear lots of face paint while you program. And you can type with your long Gene Simmons tongue.

Tahin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1142 on: June 07, 2009, 01:27:08 am »

I'll help. It's a simple enough project. Any idea how many fires we're going to need? I suggest we start with a 2-tile thick wall and expand outward in several stages.

MarineElite

• Bay Watcher
  • The End is Nigh
    • View Profile
« Reply #1143 on: June 07, 2009, 01:31:17 am »

Anyone want me for a settler? I just joined the game yesterday and still learning how to do things.
Also to those it may concern How to bybass Troubles with your IP on Byond

WorkerDrone

• Bay Watcher
  • Hey, if you can dream it, you can do it!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1144 on: June 07, 2009, 01:32:49 am »

I'm not sure if I should support the building of such a wall.

Not entirely sure if it would be as effective as stated. And if it is, the scale of a nine layer wall of that length is absolutely horrifying to my right wrist.

However, now that I've unclaimed that apple tree which was for security precautions mind you, please feel free to gather the crap out of those branches for those piles of wood.

Wooty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1145 on: June 07, 2009, 01:41:17 am »

You're always welcome to come down here to Bottleneck, just be wary of foxes and make sure people know you aren't shockedfrog.

Also since it's buried somewhere and you probably didn't read the whole thread unless you were very bored -

DF haven IRC: http://webchat.quakenet.org/
channel is #DFHH

Workerdrone - Why not? It will take hours to burn through and will be very obvious when somebody is doing so. The length will allow for dozens of claims should you ever need to get out, which you probably won't as the area is so huge. Once village wide claiming or whatever is implemented we can get rid of the wall easily in less than a day.

Quote from: Toady One
It's important to wear lots of face paint while you program. And you can type with your long Gene Simmons tongue.

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #1146 on: June 07, 2009, 02:13:06 am »

I just had an idea, only the player who owns a hearth fire can walk through said hearth fire. Perhaps this could be used in some way as a security measure?

I suppose using them as entrances would still allow people to wall over them but still its worth thinking about.
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #1147 on: June 07, 2009, 02:31:35 am »

We need guard dogs. Or guard foxes, in our case.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1148 on: June 07, 2009, 02:33:40 am »

We need guard dogs. Or guard foxes, in our case.
"Alright, I took out their guard-fox. Now we just grab the stee-"
"I've been waiting for you, Mr. Frog. Prepare for your doom. I have made many expeditions into the land known as Mordor, and I have tamed the greatest beast known to Havenkind!"

Mordor Guard-Bear: Rawr!
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

niltrias

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.gaijinninjas.com
« Reply #1149 on: June 07, 2009, 05:30:53 am »

Why dont we build the side walls out of drying racks, and only the gates out of fires?  They are faster to build and permanent.
Also, I think at least one point, near a heavy traffic zone, should have only one row of fires, which would then be designated the main gate. 
Gero! Gero! Bwahahahaha!

debvon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1150 on: June 07, 2009, 05:38:25 am »

Malicus, my farmhand told me that you were the one who cut down our apple tree in Clayshire. He bragged about taunting you and killing you, which I wish he wouldn't have, but I really don't appreciate what you did. It was our only source of food/fuel at the time and luckily we just got a new resident.

He's pretty powerful, so if you show your face again consider yourself murdered.

Daki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1151 on: June 07, 2009, 06:34:28 am »

I tried trekking down to bottleneck,but a couple of foxes kicked my ass around ring 4...damn it.
Gonna have to be more careful around the bastards
« Last Edit: June 07, 2009, 06:39:58 am by Daki »

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1152 on: June 07, 2009, 08:03:31 am »

With these new carts, Bottleneck's centre has become a really crowded place. I think we need to consider a new town centre where we will move our industry and stockpiles, and which will have 6-wide cobbled roads for easy cart access and a bit more planning in general. At the same time, this will allow us to make a much smaller wall, as we'd only need to protect this new industry centre. Our residences can be protected by private claims, and they're not that worth griefing anyway (god, what would I do if my straw hat and bone saw got stolen *panic*). This new centre should be built as close as possible so that there's easy access from both the mine and the fields. I think prime location would be the edge of the desert to the west, next to Helm Flack's estate, as that's where we have most free land available.

I'll start the roadworks right away, and if it turns out to be bad idea we can just plant grass over it.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2009, 08:07:08 am by DJ »
Urist, President has immigrated to your fortress!
Urist, President mandates the Dwarven Bill of Rights.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

sonerohi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1153 on: June 07, 2009, 08:10:39 am »

Hey Dragooble, where do you want your house? I've got 6 tree things lined up along the cart docking area so this one will go much quicker than Hawkfrost's (oh god the landcarp).

Edit: made us some more chorizo's and I've got lots of honeybuns and apple pies cooking in the oven.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2009, 08:47:46 am by sonerohi »
I picked up the stone and carved my name into the wind.

Vahan

« Reply #1154 on: June 07, 2009, 10:04:49 am »

With these new carts, Bottleneck's centre has become a really crowded place. I think we need to consider a new town centre where we will move our industry and stockpiles, and which will have 6-wide cobbled roads for easy cart access and a bit more planning in general. At the same time, this will allow us to make a much smaller wall, as we'd only need to protect this new industry centre. Our residences can be protected by private claims, and they're not that worth griefing anyway (god, what would I do if my straw hat and bone saw got stolen *panic*). This new centre should be built as close as possible so that there's easy access from both the mine and the fields. I think prime location would be the edge of the desert to the west, next to Helm Flack's estate, as that's where we have most free land available.

I'll start the roadworks right away, and if it turns out to be bad idea we can just plant grass over it.

Overall, I think we should just relocate completely.
Pages: 1 ... 75 76 [77] 78 79 ... 171