Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 74 75 [76] 77 78 ... 171

Author Topic: Haven and Hearth  (Read 209530 times)

Hamel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Haven and Hearth
« Reply #1125 on: June 06, 2009, 10:36:38 pm »

Can you let your "kin" enter your residence? I haven't tried yeomancy yet, so I have no idea how that all works.

It sounds like it would be more trouble than it's worth, though, if that isn't the case.

I don't think kin can enter your land, not yet anyway.

You don't think it's worth it? Say that to Shockedfrog and his steal steel habits. We're ripe picking without some sort of defense. :P

It's not that much work really, people don't go in and out of town very often anyway. Especially since the area inside the wall will be pretty massive.

Malicus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1126 on: June 06, 2009, 10:41:29 pm »

If anyone from Bottleneck that can handle a ring 3 fox would like some easy experience, I have 10 landcarp patrolling my property. I'm stuck inside with Hawkfrost, and We'll both surely die without help.

Remind me of where your property is?  I may stop there to deal with this so nobody has to come from BN.

sonerohi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1127 on: June 06, 2009, 10:45:00 pm »

Nevermind, but thank you for the offer. Hawkfrost and Dragooble put out about 3 foxes already, and some ran off.
I picked up the stone and carved my name into the wind.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1128 on: June 06, 2009, 10:48:00 pm »

Before I was part of the group that filled those baskets besides the house next to the kitchens completely with bread. Now it is much more difficult, at least until the trees planted grow up so we can actually fuel the ovens.

I might just wander through other cities for a little while, at least 'till the game is more developed and griefing such a large community is more difficult.

And I must comment, fences made of three layers of unlit fires sounds good. It would take a good hour to get through all three layers, and with enough sticks we could erect the fence very quickly again, unless somebody just burns an entire layer for the heck of it. But then again, our problem is not fences. The problem is gates.The game currently has no real way of securing anything other than hiding it. And with a community this large, we cannot hide anything for long.

Also, I propose after the map reset that will eventually happen, we make the new city mostly within the mine. The only surface things shall be farms, defenses, logging camps and a trade depot. We shall not let outsiders inside the mines 'till they are added as kin of the city.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Malicus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1129 on: June 06, 2009, 10:48:17 pm »

Aww.  =(  I wanted to show you how the foxes fear me.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1130 on: June 06, 2009, 10:53:01 pm »

By the time I finish, foxes shall fear me. They shall all fear me.

THE BAKER.
 Coming soon to theaters near you.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.

Malicus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1131 on: June 06, 2009, 11:01:33 pm »

Pfft.  Foxes don't aggro me.  I aggro foxes.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #1132 on: June 06, 2009, 11:31:17 pm »

Hey, for the wall, have you considered planting trees instead of placing fires? They'd at least look nice and would provide an economic benifit. Plus you'd have so much lumber that you could laugh away treesapping scallywags!
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Hamel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1133 on: June 06, 2009, 11:33:17 pm »

Hey, for the wall, have you considered planting trees instead of placing fires? They'd at least look nice and would provide an economic benifit. Plus you'd have so much lumber that you could laugh away treesapping scallywags!

Trees can be cut down pretty quick. Each fire take 20 minutes to burn out.

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #1134 on: June 06, 2009, 11:37:29 pm »

One advantage I see with trees is that you can place them inside a claimed zone, this would force them to stand in this zone and remove both the tree and the stump while taking damage, I don't think they'd cope well as doing both those things takes a long time.
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

Wiles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1135 on: June 06, 2009, 11:43:10 pm »

The runestone in front of my property seems to have disappeared. If anyone sees one marked "The home of Wiles" please let me know where it wandered off to. Seems like there is some mischief afoot.

Vucar Fikodastesh

• Bay Watcher
  • Grand Master Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1136 on: June 06, 2009, 11:43:42 pm »

One advantage I see with trees is that you can place them inside a claimed zone, this would force them to stand in this zone and remove both the tree and the stump while taking damage, I don't think they'd cope well as doing both those things takes a long time.

Alright, first of all, trespassing won't kill you, and, no matter how many trees you plant, chopping them all down is still only a few minutes work.

Secondly, the wall is going to be pretty massive, and I don't think anyone is going to be able to claim all of it.

EDIT:

Here is the proposed map of the wall, as made by Hamel.

Thoughts?
« Last Edit: June 06, 2009, 11:47:29 pm by Vucar Fikodastesh »
I think it's a vastly amusing thought that elephants are so afraid of heights that when Dwarves invented the Z-axis, they couldn't bear to face dwarves in combat anymore.

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #1137 on: June 06, 2009, 11:49:34 pm »

Wow when you said large you meant it. This will need patrolling as it goes into parts of the village less used.
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1138 on: June 06, 2009, 11:49:58 pm »

We have property that deep in the forest?

Hamel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1139 on: June 06, 2009, 11:54:36 pm »

We have property that deep in the forest?

Yes, and no. While there are a few things down there, I don't think anyone really cares about them. The main reason we want a large chunk of forest in the city wall is because trees grow a good deal faster on forest squares.
Pages: 1 ... 74 75 [76] 77 78 ... 171