Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 47 48 [49] 50 51 ... 171

Author Topic: Haven and Hearth  (Read 209608 times)

Vucar Fikodastesh

• Bay Watcher
  • Grand Master Explorer
    • View Profile
Re: Haven and Hearth
« Reply #720 on: June 02, 2009, 11:22:39 pm »

With the new stone roads, we need a mason to work on paving all our roads.
I think it's a vastly amusing thought that elephants are so afraid of heights that when Dwarves invented the Z-axis, they couldn't bear to face dwarves in combat anymore.

Malicus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #721 on: June 02, 2009, 11:31:19 pm »

Actually, I've decided that I'm going to temporarily put off my moving to my new location, since my combat skills are not QUITE ready yet.

Milaha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #722 on: June 03, 2009, 12:04:26 am »

Loftar came by to show us the new battle axe, it looks SWEET, and it appears to be a 2h weapon as well.

Like a moron, I did not think to do a screencap on it.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #723 on: June 03, 2009, 12:12:41 am »

I swear, I'll make food later!

Watch as I come back to some skeletal players crowding around an apple tree. Because I'm only important when I fail.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

WorkerDrone

• Bay Watcher
  • Hey, if you can dream it, you can do it!
    • View Profile
« Reply #724 on: June 03, 2009, 12:48:14 am »

Okay, for real this time, I made it to Bottleneck. Finally.

I guess I should try and make myself useful.

Dwarfu

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Advisor
    • View Profile
« Reply #725 on: June 03, 2009, 01:17:14 am »

I just witnessed something interesting...hadn't noticed it before.

A fox was attacking chickens...if you are travelling, you might want to pick up a couple to drop if there are foxes near...

Malicus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #726 on: June 03, 2009, 02:48:34 am »

Don't bother.  They do that all the time.  It barely even slows them down.

niltrias

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.gaijinninjas.com
« Reply #727 on: June 03, 2009, 05:12:44 am »

I just had an idea...posting the interesting places ive noted.  Unfortunately, Ive forgotten the exact location of a lot of them, so its not so full.  Ill add more to it, and if anyone else wants to do something similar, ill update mine with the new information.

s686.photobucket.com/albums/vv221/niltrias/HnHmap.png

Two more points-
1) I propose a pilgrammage to the holy Frog House!

2) Bottleneck is now almost the size of the entire inner ring!

edit -- can you zoom in on that?  Im not terribly HTML or web savvy...
Gero! Gero! Bwahahahaha!

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #728 on: June 03, 2009, 06:25:22 am »

I can't zoom in enough to read the text

Anyway, last night I noticed a lot of new immigrants are willing to work, but lack direction. Old residents, please take the time and show them what they can do to be useful to the settlement (mostly food production). Grinding flour brings LP just like grinding baskets, but flour is useful for all of us (whereas wicker baskets are an ugly nuisance that has no place in Bottleneck).

Also, I think our tannery is inefficient. We should set up a fur and leather stockpile right next to the tubs to make the job easier for our tanners. We also need more tubs. And yeah, new players, here's a way to grind that doesn't take skill and is useful: gather bark and put it in a container near the tubs (by the well by my house). It'll save our tanners a lot of walking.

As for our food production, I can't say I'm satisfied. Our population has exploded, and our wheat field can't keep up with it. I'll start expanding it when I log on (downloading new client), but this will only help if there are always people harvesting. I dedicate about 50% of my playing time to harvesting, but it's not enough.

Miners, how's the iron production going? You should try to set some aside for saws, especially now that planks are in much higher demand. We do have one communal saw, but I had it on me when the server went down, and then I went to sleep, so it's been unavailable for quite a while. We need a couple of communal saws to make sure some are always available.

Also, where the hell do our buckets keep disappearing? I swear, I've made at least a dozen of those suckers, and there are never any by the tanners when I look. People, please return buckets to their place when you're done using them. Same goes for all tools. If you want a private tool, make it yourself, don't take the communal ones.

*edit*
Another thing we should look into is setting up a remote logging camp. The southern forest is quickly running out, and we need a lot of blocks for our metal production. We need some planks too, so make those too, but we need more blocks than planks.

*second edit*
OK, some ass cut down that apple in my back yard. Not only did it feed a lot of us, but it provided nearby bark for the tannery. I think some frontier justice is in order.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2009, 07:03:57 am by DJ »
Urist, President has immigrated to your fortress!
Urist, President mandates the Dwarven Bill of Rights.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

niltrias

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #729 on: June 03, 2009, 07:10:03 am »

Some one seems to be cutting down all the local apple trees.  Just leaving the logs and killing the trees
Gero! Gero! Bwahahahaha!

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #730 on: June 03, 2009, 07:16:09 am »

The perpetrator has a female avatar with a chef's hat (hat may not be on at all times, though). Track down and permakill. If you can't kill her yourself, inform the rest of us about her location.
Urist, President has immigrated to your fortress!
Urist, President mandates the Dwarven Bill of Rights.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

niltrias

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #731 on: June 03, 2009, 07:50:42 am »

Seriously, this is kinda bad.  We only have 2-3 nearby trees...Someone just tried to kill Bottleneck....
Edit--nope, they got all of them.  We are now apple-less
« Last Edit: June 03, 2009, 07:59:34 am by niltrias »
Gero! Gero! Bwahahahaha!

Errol

• Bay Watcher
  • Heaven or Hell, Duel 1 -- Let's Rock!
    • View Profile
« Reply #732 on: June 03, 2009, 08:03:02 am »

Well, shit. I fed entirely on that tree. And took the branches to fuel cooking from it.

Goddamn griefers. We'll need more foragers. And wee need to expand on wheat.

She's at our base now. Go on, kill her, lads.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2009, 08:24:38 am by Errol »
Girls are currently preparing signature, please wait warmly until it is ready.

Vucar Fikodastesh

• Bay Watcher
  • Grand Master Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #733 on: June 03, 2009, 08:26:05 am »

Well, shit. I fed entirely on that tree. And took the branches to fuel cooking from it.

Goddamn griefers. We'll need more foragers. And wee need to expand on wheat.

Argh! This really bites. I needed those trees for branches to make fires in the mines and fuel the kilns!

We almost need a dedicated branch hauler now.

We WILL need a lot of branch hauling in the future, once we finish our many crucibles.

To make steel you need to put wrought iron and charcoal in the crucible and keep the crucible lit for 52 HOURS. Luckily, the crucible can be fueled with branches. This means we will need a lot of dedicated branch hauling.

The perpetrator has a female avatar with a chef's hat (hat may not be on at all times, though). Track down and permakill. If you can't kill her yourself, inform the rest of us about her location.

Next time you see someone commit a crime, right click on them and chat. That is the best way of learning their name. I hope you aren't suggesting hunting down and killing every female in Bottleneck.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2009, 08:27:57 am by Vucar Fikodastesh »
I think it's a vastly amusing thought that elephants are so afraid of heights that when Dwarves invented the Z-axis, they couldn't bear to face dwarves in combat anymore.

Puck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #734 on: June 03, 2009, 08:35:21 am »

we gotta fox at the mine entrance... halp :D (and bring us soem tea while were at it :P)
« Last Edit: June 03, 2009, 08:38:10 am by Puck »
Pages: 1 ... 47 48 [49] 50 51 ... 171