Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 44 45 [46] 47 48 ... 171

Author Topic: Haven and Hearth  (Read 209582 times)

Dragooble

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Haven and Hearth
« Reply #675 on: June 02, 2009, 03:19:47 pm »

actually i think it was boar fox rabbit and cow.
A creature the size of europe can occupy only one tile.

Puck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #676 on: June 02, 2009, 03:20:07 pm »

I guess in addition to industry I could like military stuff... but I don't know how easy it is to train that stuff in that horrifying ring of death you guys picked :D

also, ffs, one night I can play games, and the server goes down for an upgrade... this will probably take hours.

Dwarfu

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Advisor
    • View Profile
« Reply #677 on: June 02, 2009, 03:27:11 pm »

Help me finish this if you think its a nice thing to have; some jobs overlap and can be used to specialize even further if enough people are wanting jobs:

Settlement Jobs

Miller, uses wheat seeds provided by farmers and grinds them into flour; provides flour to the bakery.

Baker, uses apples and milk supplied by foragers, flour supplied by millers, honey supplied by beekeepers, raisins supplied by ?herbalists and carrots supplied by farmers; bakes flour/oven related foods to provide.

Butcher, uses meats supplied by hunters to provide sausages.

Beekeeper, collects honey and wax; supplies bakers with honey; supplies candlestick makers with wax.

Candlestick Maker, uses wax supplied by beekeepers and yarn supplied by weavers to provide candles to miners and candleabrums.

Weaver, uses wool supplied by foragers to provide yarn to candlestick makers, tailors, and bowyers; uses plant fibers supplied by farmers to provide cloth to tailors.

Tailor, uses yarn and cloth supplied by weavers to provide clothes.

Bowyer, uses plant fibers supplied by farmers, yarn supplied by weavers and branches supplied by forages to provide bows.

Forager, gathers apples and milk to supply the baker, shears sheep to provide wool to the weaver, gathers branches for fuel and to supply the bowyer, and gathers bark to supply the tanner.

Tanner, uses skins provided by hunters to dry them and make leather in tubs to supply the leatherworkers.

Leatherworker, uses leather supplied by the tanner to provide leather goods (backpacks, quivers, armors, etc).

Etc, etc.  They can be detailed so everyone has a specific job or some lumped together (like letting the tailors make gauze instead of someone else called a 'doctor' or somesuch).  Could also set it up as a list of 'chores,' and anyone with those skills should check up on their status and complete the jobs to keep the settlement humming along.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2009, 03:47:33 pm by Dwarfu »

Dakk

• Bay Watcher
  • BLARAGLGLGL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #678 on: June 02, 2009, 03:29:28 pm »

Awww i was going to try it today, but the server's down for an update.

Anyway, what does this game consist of? Plant, harvesting and gathering to form a community?

I wish we could mod this to make a online fortress game. Oh wellz.
Code: [Select]
    ︠     ︡
 ノ          ﺍ
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)  ┻━┻

Table flipping, singed style.

Future

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #679 on: June 02, 2009, 03:32:22 pm »

When the server is up again ill look up any forests that are a short way from the settlement and grab some blocks (I can hold about 12 with backpack). I can do it alone but we could get more if i had some help, as i said in my last post we cant get any charcoal from the other town atm but will be able to in the future.

Detrevni|inverteD

• Bay Watcher
  • Sometimes you have to step back to appreciate art.
    • View Profile
« Reply #680 on: June 02, 2009, 03:45:25 pm »

I'd like to try my hand at being the baker once I get there, if it isn't too much trouble.

Puck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #681 on: June 02, 2009, 03:49:29 pm »

I was wondering... is there anything that helps the settlement that people with 0 skills can do?

Any resource processing/gathering? Something that yields learning points, too, if possible?

Puck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #682 on: June 02, 2009, 03:52:55 pm »

(server is up - and a friggin fox chased my poor ass into a hut already)
« Last Edit: June 02, 2009, 03:54:32 pm by Puck »

Dwarfu

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Advisor
    • View Profile
« Reply #683 on: June 02, 2009, 03:54:35 pm »

0 level people would be good as foragers, I guess, they can get branches, bark(?), apples and find rabbits, gather water from the well, etc.

Puck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #684 on: June 02, 2009, 03:55:49 pm »

Alright, sounds logical... now somebody kill that fox please  ;D

Ivefan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #685 on: June 02, 2009, 04:10:53 pm »

i think i will be comming there someday soon, been playing around with a home of my own.
Though I've learnt allmost all skills except combat skills so i can do most things.
Any space to be claimed with yeomanry? or will that impede on the growth of the settlement?

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #686 on: June 02, 2009, 04:14:16 pm »

I was wondering... is there anything that helps the settlement that people with 0 skills can do?

Any resource processing/gathering? Something that yields learning points, too, if possible?

I'm not in Bottleneck, so I can't see how far along you are, but I would suggest perhaps gathering branches from trees and then building fires in the mine to light it up for the miners. You'll get xp for making the fires (and a tiny bit for getting the branches), and they're quite a bit brighter than torches. They're probably not as good as candles, but I wouldn't know - the village I'm in doesn't have any wax yet. I've got tons of milk and butter and cow meat and such though. (I'm way back in ring 1 or 2)

The fires won't last forever, either. Also, you can build them on the blackness, which you may want to do since they block where people can walk. (Them being placeable on blackness might be a bug, but the H&H forum's down so I can't make a post about it, and I'll probably be afk and have forgotten about posting it again by the time it's back up)

With animal husbandry you can shear sheep and milk cows (need a bucket for that). Milk the cows twice per bucket - each time only adds 5L to the bucket and they can hold 10L.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2009, 04:16:01 pm by Shadowlord »
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Relm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #687 on: June 02, 2009, 04:41:45 pm »

I can't get in my log cabin. <.>

Puck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #688 on: June 02, 2009, 04:42:31 pm »

small request for this thread:
put the picture in post 1 between spoiler tags, so the post is more readable.
and then add all the useful things, like the skilltree, the irc info and maybe a link to the post that explains how to build a hut...

yay nay maybay?

pretty please, nevertheless  ;D

Detrevni|inverteD

• Bay Watcher
  • Sometimes you have to step back to appreciate art.
    • View Profile
« Reply #689 on: June 02, 2009, 04:46:21 pm »

At first I was merrily following the map downward, keeping my eye on where I was and making steady pace towards Bottleneck, when a fox comes out of nowhere and I pick up the pace. Before I know it, I'm completely lost, wandering aimlessly and unable to find where I am from the map. Disfigured blobs of clay field just do not match up to anything on the map and and i'm confused and frustrated.

Can anyone help me out here? This blob doesn't match up to anything at all on the map. I seriousley need help.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: June 02, 2009, 04:56:12 pm by Detrevni|inverteD »
Pages: 1 ... 44 45 [46] 47 48 ... 171