Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 33 34 [35] 36 37 ... 171

Author Topic: Haven and Hearth  (Read 209461 times)

Dwarfu

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Advisor
    • View Profile
Re: Haven and Hearth
« Reply #510 on: May 31, 2009, 06:11:03 pm »

but I've seen plenty of tools using axes....

*zing*

jorb

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #511 on: May 31, 2009, 06:18:47 pm »

If you follow Shadowlord's recommendations regarding c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc\hosts -- You should be able to read this: Server Downtime: Electrical Substation Explodes. We're down right now. I don't know for how long.

Oh, and, Perches increase INT. Apples do not give food event points at all, and agility does not affect running speed.

Strength increases the damage you deal in combat. Agility is important for certain combat moves (Sidestep, comes to mind) Constitution increases your HP. Charisma and Perception do nothing, but they will. Charisma will affect party based combat moves/maneuvers (Party based combat actions, how do you like the sound of that? -- "Leadership", "Strength in numbers", "Lead from the front", "Stern command"), and perception will be important, among other things, when using ranged weapons.

On that topic, I notice a lot of you seem to have problems getting started with combat. I can only assure you that the foxes become a nuisance at worst once you've leveled up a bit. Stay close to the Ring, do the grind for a while, get some gear, and you'll be fine. Their reputation as being orange dire hell wolves of landcarpish maimdom is actually quite overstated. :D

I am awestruck by the sheer length of this thread. Thank you all so much for taking an interest in what we're trying to do with H&H.

Dragooble

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #512 on: May 31, 2009, 06:32:08 pm »

does intellect affect learning ability? and does learning ability affect how much exp you gain like i suspect it does? in that case i think i'll catch more perch so i can learn more. so i can catch more perch. so i can learn more. so i can catch more perch. so i can learn more. so i can catch more perch. so i can learn more. so i can catch more perch. so i can learn more. so i can catch more perch. so i can learn more. so i can catch more perch. so i can learn more...
A creature the size of europe can occupy only one tile.

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #513 on: May 31, 2009, 06:44:12 pm »

lol good idea! youll be so smart all you will be able to do is learn more and be smarter!  ;D

Malicus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #514 on: May 31, 2009, 06:46:46 pm »

But the amount you need to eat to gain each stat point is based on your highest base stat...  so it's actually better to spread your stats out right now.  =o

Also...  I have decided that I am not satisfied with the low ore smelting rate, so I'm pushing my character's...  thing I can't remember toward industry.  I guess this means I won't be doing much farming, but eh.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2009, 06:52:05 pm by Malicus »

trav

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #515 on: May 31, 2009, 06:53:49 pm »

I suspect people are afraid of foxes because we're all charging out to the furthermost ring or beyond more or less straight away so we can set up our far flung settlements, and because there's no different creature type out there (yet), we just have to fight higher level foxes.

Personally I moved out to the second ring (starting from zero in the middle circle) at level 1 and found that even now that I have spent about 6000 experience points on various skills foxes still eat me for breakfast.  I only bought 1 level of melee skill and made no armour however, so that may have something to do with it.

Cerej

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #516 on: May 31, 2009, 06:58:12 pm »

Learning ability does affect XP gained.  I've got ~140% right now, and I can tell it's making a huge difference.  A couple more hours of play and I'll have it up to ~160%, if the pattern holds true.

Which makes me wonder if the rest of you have been setting your character's personal belief sliders.  Each slider has different bonuses and penalties at the extreme ends, but you only get to adjust one slider one point every 24 (game time) hours logged in.  Which is 8 hours real life, if I recall the conversion.  Each time you adjust a slider, the Tradition <--> Change slider also moves one step towards Change.

I've been going full on Martial, which has given me a very noticeable damage increase each point (HHP damage with every successful hit).  It comes at the cost of a slight Learning ability penalty.  But Change increases your Learning ability by a large amount at the expense of less useful reincarnations.

Considering I wouldn't reincarnate after permadeath anyway... it's win-win for me.

And all this bravado even though I'm out where the foxes are vicious.  Largely because I believed the game was set up just right for pioneering to be possible without spending time grinding first.  Which I've found to be the case so far.

Dragooble

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #517 on: May 31, 2009, 07:03:37 pm »

Yep. Definitely. not to mention the occasional boar or two. speaking of which i wonder how the folks down at the new settlement are holding up? now that we've discovered an easy way to increase grinding speed, i think we can finally get the 9800 points to get to 50 in a level of combat so we can go on down there to kick foxes in the teeth. we'd need about 40 half built dream catchers and 800% learning ability to get there, but we can do it.

EDIT: and i wonder what the other sliders do? one should probably attempt to find out. and how have you been increasing your intellect cerej? anything special?
« Last Edit: May 31, 2009, 07:08:13 pm by Dragooble »

Cerej

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #518 on: May 31, 2009, 07:12:48 pm »

There's a post in the official forums describing the sliders and their effects.   From what I remember,

Death/Life is a tradeoff between damage or max HP.
Martial/Peace was between damage and learning ability.
Nature/Industry is between better wheat harvests and better metal smelting.
Night/Day is between regaining HP at night or day.

I can't even remember any other sliders though.

EDIT:  I haven't been increasing my Intellect, it's still at 10.  But by playing with the sliders my Learning Ability has gone quite a bit up.

Dragooble

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #519 on: May 31, 2009, 07:14:45 pm »

there's also barbarianism and civilization or something like that.

Malicus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #520 on: May 31, 2009, 07:15:30 pm »

I suspect people are afraid of foxes because we're all charging out to the furthermost ring or beyond more or less straight away so we can set up our far flung settlements, and because there's no different creature type out there (yet), we just have to fight higher level foxes.

Well, the new settlement is two rings away from "Mordor", but yeah, same basic idea.

Dragooble

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #521 on: May 31, 2009, 07:28:01 pm »

it appears the website is back up but not the server.

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #522 on: May 31, 2009, 07:38:37 pm »

>.< i wish there was a stable solution for there server...although it looks like i was right...whoever decided to get into the game by messing with host files and all did crash the server :)

Milaha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #523 on: May 31, 2009, 07:43:10 pm »

I think we can finally get the 9800 points to get to 50 in a level of combat so we can go on down there to kick foxes in the teeth.

Not quite right on that XP total, i wish it was that cheap.  Each skill costs 100 more than the one before it, such that the cost for any given rank is  (rank * 100).  Just to get to rank 10 I have now invested 5400, and rank 11 will cost me 1100 more.  Your 9800 points will only get you to about halfway to rank 14.

Cerej

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #524 on: May 31, 2009, 07:49:39 pm »

The server is up.  Time to crash it from overload I guess.  :P
Pages: 1 ... 33 34 [35] 36 37 ... 171